Expectations Tangent Thread

36 minutes ago, ChubbaWubba said:

If he comes, he will end up being the greatest player this program has ever seen at QB, and that is saying a lot.

Luckily we don’t have to worry because he is 99.99999999% coming. 

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Who is placing these expectations, specifically?

There's a recent one.  Just blew through Tommie Frazier's career.  I guess if winning national titles is the metric then winning three in a row would be setting a high bar.  

56 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My messages aren't directed at a single post or poster, but to people who think that Nebraska is on the precipice of a 8 win season, and one QB away from contending for something like a conference championship or NY6 caliber bowl game. They are not and aren't close to being able to do so

It was only way back in like the 2023 season when they were a QB away from 8 wins

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This was originally in response to a post which claimed that Daniel Kalen was going to takeover for Raiola after he goes pro after his Sophomore year. 

Which led to me posting about queling expectations. My response concerning the schedule was in regards to overall discourse I've read by some posters that think Nebraska is close to breakthrough seasons, as well as posts from places like Reddit or on the radio. My messages aren't directed at a single post or poster, but to people who think that Nebraska is on the precipice of a 8 win season, and one QB away from contending for something like a conference championship or NY6 caliber bowl game. They are not and aren't close to being able to do so.

My goal is simply for anybody - a poster here, a lurker who doesnt post, or anybody with unreasonable expectations to not put the weight of a dying football program on the shoulders of a single player. 

I don't know what this means. 

I happen to think we are on the precipice of an 8 win season. Hell with even average QB play we were on that precipice this past season. We all know you are more pessimistic especially since you refer to the Huskers as a “dying football program”. Nobody here needs or wants you to be the gatekeeper of expectations.

Honestly you’re coming off as excessively negative. If you feel that way, fine, but imo it’s no way to be a fan and it appears you’re at odds with many of us. We’re adults. We don’t need you to temper our expectations.

• TBH 2
7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My goal is simply for anybody - a poster here, a lurker who doesnt post, or anybody with unreasonable expectations to not put the weight of a dying football program on the shoulders of a single player. 

We're not doing that, the game of football does that. No other position in team sports has such an onus on success and failure. Even a baseball team is composed of half pitchers. Quarterbacks always have the weight of the world on their shoulders because the modern game is designed that way. As the saying goes, they get too much blame and too much credit.

Nebraska ranked near the very bottom in every passing statistic, dead last in giveaways, second to last in turnover margin. It's a miracle they won 5 games, to be honest.

Raiola doesn't have to play like the top recruit in the country, he just has to get Nebraska to be an average offense.

• Plus1 2

41 minutes ago, ChubbaWubba said:

This kid is far better than Frazier… Watch his film and tell me Frazier could make his throws 

Nobody in the history of the college game was a "far better" QB than Frazier.  In fact his equals are few and far between.  Are you saying Raiola will guide the Huskers to two national titles and come up just short on a third due to some horrific officiating and a duck hook FG attempt to win that one?  

If your metric is simply the throwing the ball skill set and not everything else a QB is responsible for then we can come up with a long list of QBs that can throw the ball better than Frazier and yet never even won a conference championship.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Nobody in the history of the college game was a "far better" QB than Frazier.  In fact his equals are few and far between.  Are you saying Raiola will guide the Huskers to two national titles and come up just short on a third due to some horrific officiating and a duck hook FG attempt to win that one?  

If your metric is simply the throwing the ball skill set and not everything else a QB is responsible for then we can come up with a long list of QBs that can throw the ball better than Frazier and yet never even won a conference championship.  

Quarterbacks play a position. Teams win titles. Now I agree that chubbawubba needs to pump the brakes on how great DR is, considering he hasn’t played one down of cfb yet, but it’s also not necessary to conflate a player to everything that player’s team achieved.

• TBH 3
15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Quarterbacks play a position. Teams win titles. Now I agree that chubbawubba needs to pump the brakes on how great DR is, considering he hasn’t played one down of cfb yet, but it’s also not necessary to conflate a player to everything that player’s team achieved.

Lol...where did I conflate a player to everything that player's team achieved?  He was however the spark that lit the flame.  I mean the MVP in three straight national titles games.  He was a generational talent and to minimize that because he was also surrounded by great players is a revisionist take.  Go back and watch the games if you're misremembering his command of Osborne's offense.   

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Lol...where did I conflate a player to everything that player's team achieved? 

Right here….

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Are you saying Raiola will guide the Huskers to two national titles and come up just short on a third due to some horrific officiating and a duck hook FG attempt to win that one?  

Nobody (that I’ve seen yet anyway) has stated that DR will lead us to multiple nattys.

17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Right here….

Nobody (that I’ve seen yet anyway) has stated that DR will lead us to multiple nattys.

You're still minimizing Frazier's big game will to win, his impact on those teams, and getting those teams over the hump.  If you want to make the argument that others could have done that I guess go ahead.  But I'll present you with Steve Taylor. Remember the statement that started all this was that Raiola is going to be the greatest player to ever play QB at Nebraska.  What metric would you use then when comparing a primarily running QB in Osborne's offense vs. a passing QB in today's game?  Are we just going to go with passing stats?

I think we should consider it a win if any QB doesn't transfer from NU.  More than 70% of QBs transfer at least once.

Looking specifically at 5 stars over the last 6 classes, 12 of 22 have transferred.  And there will probably be a few more form 2022 and 2023 that will transfer over the next year or 2.

5 star QBs (247C)

2023 2/5 transferred

2022 0/4 transferred

2021 5/6 transferred

2020 1/2 transferred

2019 2/2 transferred

2018 2/3 transferred

• TBH 1
50 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

You're still minimizing Frazier's big game will to win, his impact on those teams, and getting those teams over the hump.  If you want to make the argument that others could have done that I guess go ahead.  But I'll present you with Steve Taylor. Remember the statement that started all this was that Raiola is going to be the greatest player to ever play QB at Nebraska.  What metric would you use then when comparing a primarily running QB in Osborne's offense vs. a passing QB in today's game?  Are we just going to go with passing stats?

I’m not minimizing jack s#!t. TBH I hadn’t seen that CW had said the kid is far better than Frazier. It’s just a dumb comparison to make. You guys are trying to compare different skill sets under different circumstances from different eras. Frazier was great, maybe the best ever, for what he was asked to do and how he did it. And DR looks to also be a great one and is unquestionably the highest rated prospect we would have ever landed. That’s it. I can wait until he fulfills his destiny to venture into any more comparisons.