Expectations Tangent Thread

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The real point is that Nebraska Football lacks the talent to meet the expectations fans are placing on him. They need to fix a lot of problems unrelated to the QB to get to a 9-3 or 10-2 season in the new B1G.

Start fielding punts, then start actually returning them, then try not to rely on the QB run game so much, then hopefully the coaches learn how to properly manage the end of games, and then develop a pass rush that doesn't rely on blitzing, then try not to lead the country in turnovers, fire Satterfield... the list goes on. 

Until they improve all areas of the team, reasonable expectations of Nebraska Football should remain at the 6-6 or 7-5 mark.

I get what you’re saying but have to disagree. One capable QB and Nebraska would’ve been 8-4 minimum this year. It’s not a stretch to think DR could have an immediate very positive impact. The defense is there and special teams showed great improvement in year 1.

That’s the thing about expectations, everyone is free to have their own. It’s not about being right or nailing your win prediction. It’s just being a fan.

• TBH 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The real point is that Nebraska Football lacks the talent to meet the expectations fans are placing on him. They need to fix a lot of problems unrelated to the QB to get to a 9-3 or 10-2 season in the new B1G.

No, they don't.  We were 5-7.  We lost three games 13-10.  We also lost games 20-17 and 24-17.  We literally needed to score one more time per game to be 10-2.  

There is absolutely no reason that better QB play couldn't move our scoring average from 12.8 ppg to 20-21 ppg.  That's not asking for them to work miracles.  That's asking for at Top 100 offense.

That's not the only thing we could be better at.  But it's not asking a lot either.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Disagree. Most people want a bowl game next year, and we were a decent QB away from a bowl this season.

Nebraska isn't in the B1G West anymore. They won't have under luxury of playing talentless teams each week. 

They have so many issues they need to fix. They can't even field punts.

I think that instead of dreaming about the playoff, Nebraska just needs to focus on bowl games. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska isn't in the B1G West anymore. They won't have under luxury of playing talentless teams each week. 

I think that instead of dreaming about the playoff, Nebraska just needs to focus on bowl games. 

Why are you bringing up the playoff in a response to a post saying most people want us to play in a bowl game? You're looking at weird fringe posts and applying them to the whole population when that's not what most people expect.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4
Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

You love a little whine with your cheese huh? 

There wasn’t a game we weren’t in sans Mich. Please tell me how another season of proper coaching, an adequate qb and healthy offensive weapons won’t change our ability to win games? 

No one is expecting a title next year but to say that we can’t be significantly better is just pessimistic BS. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 5
18 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Start fielding punts, then start actually returning them, then try not to rely on the QB run game so much, then hopefully the coaches learn how to properly manage the end of games, and then develop a pass rush that doesn't rely on blitzing, then try not to lead the country in turnovers, fire Satterfield... the list goes on. 

Until they improve all areas of the team, reasonable expectations of Nebraska Football should remain at the 6-6 or 7-5 mark.

They would have 8 games possibly 9 this past year with an average QB :dunno  That’s not even in question 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska isn't in the B1G West anymore.

This is a red herring argument.  We still play most of the (former) B1G West next year - Illinois, Purdue, Iowa and Wisconsin.  We traded two former B1G West opponents for two of the bottom teams from the East (Rutgers and Indiana).  And our non-conference is nearly identical to last year's - Colorado (at home this time) plus to winnable G5 teams.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is a red herring argument.  We still play most of the (former) B1G West next year - Illinois, Purdue, Iowa and Wisconsin.  We traded two former B1G West opponents for two of the bottom teams from the East (Rutgers and Indiana).  And our non-conference is nearly identical to last year's - Colorado (at home this time) plus to winnable G5 teams.

I'm talking about the totality of Nebraska Football and who they will play beyond just next season - which is probably their best chance they will have to win more than 8 games. 

Nebraska isn't always going to be handed some of the easiest schedules in P5 football. They've squandered one such season, they won't have many more before the difficulty increases dramatically. 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

This isn't needed.  In fact, oddly enough, some people just like to hope that things will improve.

I don't disagree. I hope and think Nebraska will improve. What I don't want is for fans to consider anything other than Raiola leading this program to the expanded playoff/NY6 games/other big time games a failure. 

What I'm saying is that if Dylan averages 7-5 by the time he's done with his career here and manages to beat Wisconsin, that would be a major success.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't disagree. I hope and think Nebraska will improve. What I don't want is for fans to consider anything other than Raiola leading this program to the expanded playoff/NY6 games/other big time games a failure. 

First, who is doing this, specifically?

Second, I don't think that's really what you're doing.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

First, who is doing this, specifically?

This was originally in response to a post which claimed that Daniel Kalen was going to takeover for Raiola after he goes pro after his Sophomore year. 

Which led to me posting about queling expectations. My response concerning the schedule was in regards to overall discourse I've read by some posters that think Nebraska is close to breakthrough seasons, as well as posts from places like Reddit or on the radio. My messages aren't directed at a single post or poster, but to people who think that Nebraska is on the precipice of a 8 win season, and one QB away from contending for something like a conference championship or NY6 caliber bowl game. They are not and aren't close to being able to do so.

My goal is simply for anybody - a poster here, a lurker who doesnt post, or anybody with unreasonable expectations to not put the weight of a dying football program on the shoulders of a single player. 

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Second, I don't think that's really what you're doing.

I don't know what this means. 

• Plus1 2