Expectations Tangent Thread

11 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If DR is as good as advertised, he will go pro after his sophomore year and then DK can take over as a sophomore after he redshirts.

I think this is setting expectations that are way to high. We need to collectively pump the breaks on saying Nebraska is going to develop an NFL QB in just two years, something that has never happened in the history of Nebraska Football. 

Let's hope he's good enough and Nebraska surrounds him with enough talent to have a 9-3 season at some point. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think this is setting expectations that are way to high. We need to collectively pump the breaks on saying Nebraska is going to develop an NFL QB in just two years, something that has never happened in the history of Nebraska Football. 

Let's hope he's good enough and Nebraska surrounds him with enough talent to have a 9-3 season at some point. 

With the the pieces we bring back next year on defense that is a possibility just like you said will Nebraska surround him with enough talent to succeed on offense.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska has placed a few NFL QB's.   Jerry Tagge, Vince Farragamo (sp?), Dave Humm.....maybe others that i can't recall right now.   Brook Berringer was also on a lot of draft boards before that plane crash.  to say it never happened in Nebraskas history is just wrong

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

With the the pieces we bring back next year on defense that is a possibility just like you said will Nebraska surround him with enough talent to succeed on offense.

Nebraska doesn't have the pieces on offense yet. Hopefully the receivers develop, the line continues to improve, and they find more talent at Running Back. They still need a lot more to become a 9-3 or 10-2 team, especially with the schedules in the new B1G.

1 hour ago, commando said:

Nebraska has placed a few NFL QB's.   Jerry Tagge, Vince Farragamo (sp?), Dave Humm.....maybe others that i can't recall right now.   Brook Berringer was also on a lot of draft boards before that plane crash.  to say it never happened in Nebraskas history is just wrong

I know that, but I'm not aware of Nebraska sending a QB to the NFL after playing just 2 seasons. It would be unprecedented if Nebraska is able to do that. 

15 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

How many since 1990?

You do understand that no one can go to the NFL as a true Sophomore right? The only way that is possible is if the player doesn’t commit to a college right after HS and sits that 1st post HS year out and then enrolls at a college the following year. NFL rules dictate you have to be 3 years out of HS.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
3 hours ago, caveman99 said:

You do understand that no one can go to the NFL as a true Sophomore right? The only way that is possible is if the player doesn’t commit to a college right after HS and sits that 1st post HS year out and then enrolls at a college the following year. NFL rules dictate you have to be 3 years out of HS.

I'm aware, I'm responding to a poster who claimed Raiola was going to leave Nebraska as a Sophomore.

I'm trying to temper the sky high expectations Nebraska fans have and to not put so much pressure on this kid. Nebraska is a football team that can't field punts - let alone return them - so let's focus on the little things before we project that an 18 year old recruit revives the corpse of Nebraska Football. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm aware, I'm responding to a poster who claimed Raiola was going to leave Nebraska as a Sophomore.

I'm trying to temper the sky high expectations Nebraska fans have and to not put so much pressure on this kid. Nebraska is a football team that can't field punts - let alone return them - so let's focus on the little things before we project that an 18 year old recruit revives the corpse of Nebraska Football. 

Every good recruit we go after people on here are saying we only have for 3 years. Bookie comes to mind. I don’t think he even going pro period let alone early 

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s big boy football with apparently $1 mill plus a year involved.  If he doesn’t want the pressure, then don’t take the money and play D2 or D3 

The real point is that Nebraska Football lacks the talent to meet the expectations fans are placing on him. They need to fix a lot of problems unrelated to the QB to get to a 9-3 or 10-2 season in the new B1G.

Start fielding punts, then start actually returning them, then try not to rely on the QB run game so much, then hopefully the coaches learn how to properly manage the end of games, and then develop a pass rush that doesn't rely on blitzing, then try not to lead the country in turnovers, fire Satterfield... the list goes on. 

Until they improve all areas of the team, reasonable expectations of Nebraska Football should remain at the 6-6 or 7-5 mark.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s big boy football with apparently $1 mill plus a year involved.  If he doesn’t want the pressure, then don’t take the money and play D2 or D3 

Absolutely. They wanted and got the payday. Gotta take what goes along with that. It’s no longer amateur student athlete ball. The expectations and demands are on steroids now.

• TBH 1