Saban Retiring

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Wow. End of the greatest coaching era in college football history.  

Cant wait to see the sharp decline of Bama.  I wonder if Big8conferenceforever is gonna question their status as a blue blood in a few years when theyre not in the playoffs anymore

It might take until year 5 for Alabama to totally crash, if Frank Solich is any indication. 

And of course the fans of the other SEC schools would keep questioning why Alabama's Frank Solich equivalent got fired, and would even make the really embarrassing move of electing that coach to the CFB Hall of Fame about 20 years later. 

• TBH 4

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Saban's losses to Osborne were by scores of 50-10 and 55-14. Lol.

But  Saban was actually pretty mediocre at Michigan State, which few people seem to remember. It wasn't until LSU that he became a good coach, and Alabama that he became great.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, winner00 said:

Saban's losses to Osborne were by scores of 50-10 and 55-14. Lol.

But  Saban was actually pretty mediocre at Michigan State, which few people seem to remember. It wasn't until LSU that he became a good coach, and Alabama that he became great.

Was he mediocre? Or were those teams bad and he pulled them up?

One benefit for Nebraska going 5-7 in year one is that he's far enough down the ladder of being wanted and that Rhule has only been here for a year and any programs equivalent that might get their coaches poached are probably not going to have the resources NU has in place to pull him from the school (crossing fingers).

2 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Was he mediocre? Or were those teams bad and he pulled them up?

One benefit for Nebraska going 5-7 in year one is that he's far enough down the ladder of being wanted and that Rhule has only been here for a year and any programs equivalent that might get their coaches poached are probably not going to have the resources NU has in place to pull him from the school (crossing fingers).

Saban first 4 years at Michigan State were 25-22-1. Everybody would want a Nebraska coach with that kind of record to be fired. He got the LSU job based solely on his last year, which was 10-2.

I'm sure he improved as a coach as he became more experienced over time. 

Not really applicable to Rhule because 1. Rhule has already been a head coach three times  before and should be well past his learning curve 2. Nebraska has much higher coaching standards than Michigan State.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Need a splash hire.  Probably Gruden or Urban.

If next guy brings his buddies instead of the best it’s over.

Suggesting Jon Gruden as a candidate for every job in both CFB and the NFL? Jesus Christ, are you stuck in 2015 or something? 

Gruden is now completely unemployable because he sent racist texts. The biggest single offense you can possibly commit in today's society.

I don't think that Gruden is that  good of a coach anyway. But his texts were what ruined his career, not the fact that he's a mediocre and overrated coach. 

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, winner00 said:

Suggesting Jon Gruden as a candidate for every job in both CFB and the NFL? Jesus Christ, are you stuck in 2015 or something? 

Gruden is now completely unemployable because he sent racist texts. The biggest single offense you can possibly commit in today's society.

I don't think that Gruden is a very good coach anyway. But his texts were what ruined his career, not the fact that he's a pedestrian and overrated coach. 

Welcome to Huskerboard

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Alabama (and the SEC as a whole) is due for a correction. Unfortunately for us Nebraska fans, 'Bama's likely decline will come during Texass' climb in the (declining) SEC, so we're going to have to put up with Texass being whored out more than usual by ESPN in the near future. 

I don't know that whores ever done anything so egregious that they should associated with the likes of TX.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I hope Bama takes Sark and Texas sucks again

You're assuming that Texas won't fall back to, well, 7 wins in their future years under 7-win Sark.

Dude's a lifelong 7-6 coach who had one outlier year. He'll be back to going 7-6 soon. Don't worry.

Interesting that Michigan St was brought up. I may be the only one to die on this hill, but while I consider Saban one of the all-time bests, I struggle to put him above Osborne and others simply for what he was unwilling/unable to do MSU. 

Just using Osborne as the example, I think TO could've won at the same rate as Saban at UA if their situations were flipped. I can't say that I think Saban would've had the same level of success at Nebraska if their roles were reversed. 

1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Interesting that Michigan St was brought up. I may be the only one to die on this hill, but while I consider Saban one of the all-time bests, I struggle to put him above Osborne and others simply for what he was unwilling/unable to do MSU. 

Just using Osborne as the example, I think TO could've won at the same rate as Saban at UA if their situations were flipped. I can't say that I think Saban would've had the same level of success at Nebraska if their roles were reversed. 

Wildly different circumstances there. Nebraska when TO took over was already rolling, and had a slew of advantages over other teams in that era. Michigan State never did, and it was a different set of circumstances overall in the mid 90s. Alabama has inherent advantages over MSU, so you can't really compare those jobs.  Saban won 7 titles, at two schools, in a time when you have to do more to win one. He's top 2 or 3, if not #1, easily.

• Fire 2