Saban Retiring

I'm just glad the new coach didn't end up being Ryan Day.  Or Dan Lanning from Oregon.  If either of those guys went to Tuscaloosa, I don't think Alabama would ever lose more than one championship every 5 years.  

Thank goodness those guys realized that with Saban gone, their own path to a championship just got easier.  Plus they are already rich, they are the face of their winning programs, and their schools doll out good NIL deals.  Alabama can't match that, and most players went to Bama to play for Saban and get to the NFL. 

So I'm very happy Alabama did the best that they could by getting a coach down the line to say "yes", DeBoer.  

Won't be easy following the footsteps of Saban.  But I think Nick will help from an office as much as he can.  

The new Alabama #9 wins

6 hours ago, admo said:

I'm just glad the new coach didn't end up being Ryan Day.  Or Dan Lanning from Oregon.  If either of those guys went to Tuscaloosa, I don't think Alabama would ever lose more than one championship every 5 years.  

Thank goodness those guys realized that with Saban gone, their own path to a championship just got easier.  Plus they are already rich, they are the face of their winning programs, and their schools doll out good NIL deals.  Alabama can't match that, and most players went to Bama to play for Saban and get to the NFL. 

So I'm very happy Alabama did the best that they could by getting a coach down the line to say "yes", DeBoer.  

Won't be easy following the footsteps of Saban.  But I think Nick will help from an office as much as he can.  

The new Alabama #9 wins

I don't understand your logic in thinking Ryan Day would win 4 NC out of 5. His player talent would only increase minimally. OSU typically recruits in the top 5 and he hasn't done it yet. It's possible he'd do slightly better at Alabama, but I don't think slightly better would mean winning the NC almost every year.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't understand your logic in thinking Ryan Day would win 4 NC out of 5. His player talent would only increase minimally. OSU typically recruits in the top 5 and he hasn't done it yet. It's possible he'd do slightly better at Alabama, but I don't think slightly better would mean winning the NC almost every year.

Championship meaning - SEC championship.  Sorry I didn't clarify.  I think those 2 coaches I mentioned would keep Bama within the top 2 of the conference and playing for SEC titles. 

With DeBoer, I feel Georgia will remain at the top, and Texas and quite possibly OU will be a tougher challenge for Bama to get the #2 spot.  Toss in LSU, A&M, Tennessee..... it's going to be more challenging for Bama to make the SEC title game without Saban there.  I believe Day or Lanning would keep Bama in the top 2 of the SEC.  

9 minutes ago, admo said:

it's going to be more challenging for Bama to make the SEC title game without Saban there. 

It was going to be tougher even with him there.  The portal and NIL has helped other teams collect talent.  Texas and OU will add competition.  He's also getting old enough that recruiting is going to be harder for him.

30 minutes ago, admo said:

Championship meaning - SEC championship.  Sorry I didn't clarify.  I think those 2 coaches I mentioned would keep Bama within the top 2 of the conference and playing for SEC titles. 

With DeBoer, I feel Georgia will remain at the top, and Texas and quite possibly OU will be a tougher challenge for Bama to get the #2 spot.  Toss in LSU, A&M, Tennessee..... it's going to be more challenging for Bama to make the SEC title game without Saban there.  I believe Day or Lanning would keep Bama in the top 2 of the SEC.  

Gotcha

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, admo said:

What had DeBoer done for you to doubt him?  He has done more than Ryan Day has.  Day took over a humming machine and has been a tick down if anything from Meyer.  DeBoer has turned losers into winners on a couple of occasions and is like 12-1 against ranked teams.  

If this is just your guy feeling, great, but the guy has done nothing but win his entire career and I have zero reason to doubt him (yet).   I don't think he will be Nick Saban of course, but Dan Lanning and Ryan Day sure aren't either.  No one is. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
18 hours ago, admo said:

I'm just glad the new coach didn't end up being Ryan Day.  Or Dan Lanning from Oregon. 

DeBoer beat Lanning twice this year, and once last year.  Not sure why you think Lanning is superior?  He has proven is his short time to be a great coach but there is zero evidence suggesting he is any better, or even as good as DeBoer imo.  

• TBH 1
6 hours ago, runningblind said:

What had DeBoer done for you to doubt him?  He has done more than Ryan Day has.  Day took over a humming machine and has been a tick down if anything from Meyer.  DeBoer has turned losers into winners on a couple of occasions and is like 12-1 against ranked teams.  

If this is just your guy feeling, great, but the guy has done nothing but win his entire career and I have zero reason to doubt him (yet).   I don't think he will be Nick Saban of course, but Dan Lanning and Ryan Day sure aren't either.  No one is. 

He hasn't done anything for me to doubt him.  I actually like him and wish he would have stayed at UW.  Especially going into the big ten and making the conference strong.  I actually like him and hope he does well, but also, hope he doesn't become prickish.  Let me explain.

Alabama and the SEC and the fan base of Bama and fan base of the SEC all have this arrogant attitude.  

DeBoer comes in, and does well, you almost like seeing Alabama win.  As long as he stays the same.  But if he doesn't do as good as Nick, there will be a lot of hate thrown at him to get him out of there.  

Ryan Day (and to a degree Lanning) have that persona, ego, brashness and arrogance to keep Alabama right where Nick left off.  Where the SEC loves that, the rest of the world hates it when they win.  But they are also good coaches too, and I think Day got OSU to the title game in covid 2020 year IIRC.  Beat everyone but Michigan and Missouri lol.  

Who knows man.  Maybe DeBoer will turn out to be DeBest :lol:  He's a guy you can root for.  And I have had my share of being wrong a thousand times over the years, so I won't mind recognizing being wrong if he does better than what I think.  Gut feeling, this isn't a good fit for him, but UW is a great fit.  If that makes sense.

8 hours ago, Hilltop said:

DeBoer beat Lanning twice this year, and once last year.  Not sure why you think Lanning is superior?  He has proven is his short time to be a great coach but there is zero evidence suggesting he is any better, or even as good as DeBoer imo.  

Yes, good close games too.  Great atmosphere.  Rooted for UW to win both times.  

I never said superior so not sure why you chose to pick that word to alter what I said and thought.  DeBoer is a really good coach so far.    

Zero evidence?  Hmm.. Glad you got the forensics team on it.  

My initial reactions and my opinions can vary.  My thoughts can change too. 

Like I told @runningblind above, that I could be way off and totally wrong.  :)  

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, admo said:

Yes, good close games too.  Great atmosphere.  Rooted for UW to win both times.  

I never said superior so not sure why you chose to pick that word to alter what I said and thought.  DeBoer is a really good coach so far.    

Zero evidence?  Hmm.. Glad you got the forensics team on it.  

My initial reactions and my opinions can vary.  My thoughts can change too. 

Like I told @runningblind above, that I could be way off and totally wrong.  :)  

This quote implied it imo - "I'm just glad the new coach didn't end up being Ryan Day.  Or Dan Lanning from Oregon.  If either of those guys went to Tuscaloosa, I don't think Alabama would ever lose more than one championship every 5 years."  

No stress, your perspective just seemed weird to me.  On paper, everything suggests DeBoer to be the better hire.  I guess time will tell if his system will work in the SEC.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

Don’t really understand these Bama offensive players bailing. UW had a humming offense that they could thrive in. Their defense wasn’t very good though.  I guess the uncertainty causes an opportunity to go grab a bigger bag?  College football is becoming a circus. I bet this is a large part of why Saban said good time to retire. What else does he have to prove and all this transfer stuff is nothing but headaches and you know there is shady stuff going on all over the place.