Wendy's to Implement Surge-Pricing

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Or maybe not…

But after news outlets ran stories warning that Wendy's was planning to hike prices during the busier times of day, company executives tried to better explain what Tanner meant.

"To clarify, Wendy's will not implement surge pricing, which is the practice of raising prices when demand is highest," Wendy's Vice President Heidi Schauer said in an email to NPR. "We didn't use that phrase, nor do we plan to implement that practice."

Wendy's didn't provide many additional details, but it said in a separate statement that the digital menus could allow the company to offer discounts to customers during slower times of day.

Lol what a joke. 

• TBH 1

9 minutes ago, GSG said:

Lol what a joke. 

Yeah my guess is they got so much blowback on the surge pricing, now they have to spin it. Everybody knows they aren’t spending that much cabbage on new fancy menu boards just to offer discounts.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Or maybe not…

But after news outlets ran stories warning that Wendy's was planning to hike prices during the busier times of day, company executives tried to better explain what Tanner meant.

"To clarify, Wendy's will not implement surge pricing, which is the practice of raising prices when demand is highest," Wendy's Vice President Heidi Schauer said in an email to NPR. "We didn't use that phrase, nor do we plan to implement that practice."

Wendy's didn't provide many additional details, but it said in a separate statement that the digital menus could allow the company to offer discounts to customers during slower times of day.

See, this is what I originally thought they meant (mostly because I did not read it carefully) this makes more sense.  This is like the happy hour idea.

Once again, I say something and a giant company uses my idea!  Hahaha

• Haha 2
52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

See, this is what I originally thought they meant (mostly because I did not read it carefully) this makes more sense.  This is like the happy hour idea.

Once again, I say something and a giant company uses my idea!  Hahaha

Well thanks in advance for the $22 Dave’s Double :P

• Haha 1

Wendy's may have backed down, but with so many industries (Hotel, ride services, airlines, etc) already doing this, the seed has been planted for fast food and it's only a matter of time before someone else starts doing it. If a place like McD starts, it'll be a quick trickle down to the other fast food places. The biggest reason this failed was Wendy's isn't the top dog. McD would be able to manage decrease sales for the very short term and then when everyone else jumps in, it'll become the new normal. I'd guess it would take 2-3 months before Wendy's, BK etc start trickling in and then eventually consumers would have no choice but to deal with flex pricing.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:03 AM, JJ Husker said:

Yeah my guess is they got so much blowback on the surge pricing, now they have to spin it. Everybody knows they aren’t spending that much cabbage on new fancy menu boards just to offer discounts.

Maybe?  But it's also much better to sell things at much lower margins that just eating the cost all together.  Remember, their patties are never frozen :thumbs  Gotta move that inventory!  Plus the possibility of getting new customers in the door.

No dog in the fight, just throwing out an idea...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Maybe?  But it's also much better to sell things at much lower margins that just eating the cost all together.  Remember, their patties are never frozen :thumbs  Gotta move that inventory!  Plus the possibility of getting new customers in the door.

No dog in the fight, just throwing out an idea...

Oh I’m sure they’ll use it both ways. Heck they may as well be using dynamic pricing now. Between inflation and my infrequent fast food trips, I really have no idea what anything is going to cost now. 

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Fast food in general sucks now and is not longer a value. If all fast food joints went out of business it would greatly benefit this country 

IDK man, it’s kind of nice knowing where all the worst employees are going to be. Without fast food places those people could end up in jobs anywhere.

Yeah, I’ve been screwed over in too many drive thrus.

• Haha 3
24 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IDK man, it’s kind of nice knowing where all the worst employees are going to be. Without fast food places those people could end up in jobs anywhere.

Yeah, I’ve been screwed over in too many drive thrus.

I’ve been known to eat a few McDonald’s breakfasts in my day. But now I can usually count on one hand how many times I eat fast food a year. 

I just wanna get swole 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I would, at times in my life, get fast food often for two reasons really, cheap and tasted good.

Well, it is not cheap at all anymore.  Pizza is the only "fast food" that is cheap anymore.

Back in the day I would spend 40-50 dollars a week for groceries...Friday would usually be happy hour and then fast food.  Saturday no breakfast, grab lunch, beers, grab dinner.  Sunday would be breakfast and then dinner.  It was so cheap.  

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really don't ever eat fast food, unless it's something like Runza's salads.

After you don't eat fast food for a while, then try it again, you realize just how horrible it all is.

For the price it takes to feed me at a fast food joint I could get a sit down burger and fries. I would rather go out once a week and have a nice meal then eat out 2-3 times at a fast food joint as well. 

• TBH 3

Wendy's will continue to get the same amount of money from me during the surge times.  Couldn't even tell you the last time I had Wendy's and I'm almost certain the last time I had it, someone else bought it for me.  Burgers are bland and the chili is overrated.