Do you want to see Nebraska play Tennessee and Oklahoma?

A lot of discussion about Matt Rhule signaling about making the non-conference schedule more manageable with the four new additions from the Pac-12.  Unless you live in the area; I don't think most people care about Cincy, Arizona, or Okie State. They can switch out those games for Mepos Tech, Zamunda University, and Melmac College.  The big games to me are Tennessee and Oklahoma.  The Tennessee series has already been moved before for Bristol but I believe that fans would love a visit to Knoxville and the Rocky Top faithful would travel well to Lincoln.  Oklahoma doesn't need explained.  It's throwing a bone to tradition and rich history in a sport that has increasingly less of it as the years go by.  Hopefully more great stories from Tom Osborne and Barry Switzer while they are still with us.  Those are the two valuable series I would like for Nebraska to honor. If the Tennessee games were switched it would have been an opportunity to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the '97 team in Lincoln since Michigan isn't on the schedule to troll.  Whether or not that would be enough time to bury the hatchet with Scott Frost I suppose is TBD.  

It's nice to think back on what once was but these days, as I get older, I only care about going forward and rebuilding the brand. As far as Oklahoma is concerned they aren't even an after thought for me. They are only concerned with being Texas' lapdog and have been for years.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 6

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they canned both series, especially Tenn. Things aren't like they used to be in the Big 8 where you had OU and maybe one other team that was decent every year. Now we're in a league with OSU, Mich,  Penn St, Wis, Iowa, Oregon, Wash, USC & UCLA guaranteeing you'll get several games every year agains top 20 teams and probably more than one top 5 or 10 team.

• Plus1 4

I don't really care either way about these series.  Sure, I prefer our team schedule good opponents because the games are more interesting, especially if we can get back to being good.

But, if teams like Alabama and Michigan are going to do nothing but schedule easy non-cons and that helps them get to the playoffs, why wouldn't we?

• Plus1 2

Hell yes I want to see Nebraska play Tennessee and Oklahoma.

In the 14 team playoff era coming in 2 years, reports are the top 3 B1G teams will get autobids (defined as top 3 by conference record).  So in that scenario playing a tough non-con doesn't really matter.  Just win in conference and you are good.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, if teams like Alabama and Michigan are going to do nothing but schedule easy non-cons and that helps them get to the playoffs, why wouldn't we?

Are they?

Michigan has Texas (2024, 2027), and Oklahoma (2025, 2026) on their future schedules.

Alabama has Wisconsin (2024), Florida St (2025, 2026), Ohio St (2027, 2028), and Notre Dame (2029, 2030) on their future schedules.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Are they?

Michigan has Texas (2024, 2027), and Oklahoma (2025, 2026) on their future schedules.

Alabama has Wisconsin (2024), Florida St (2025, 2026), Ohio St (2027, 2028), and Notre Dame (2029, 2030) on their future schedules.

Look at Michigan’s non-con this year and so many of Alabama’s the last 15 years. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Look at Michigan’s non-con this year and so many of Alabama’s the last 15 years. 

Michigan's non-con in 2022 and 2023 was bad because someone (I think UCLA) cancelled on them a few years back.

Under Saban, Alabama's best non-con games have been Texas (23, 22), Miami (21), Duke (19), Louisville (18), Florida St (17), USC (16), Wisconsin (15), West Virginia (14), Va Tech (13), Michigan (12), Penn St (11, 10), Va Tech (09), Clemson (08), and Florida St (07).  Sure, the majority of those have been at neutral sites, but still pretty damn good IMO.

I only want to face Oklahoma and Tennessee in the post season if we, and either one of them, have earned the right to play each other for something meaningful.  Pre-conference season won't mean anything to me other than we added an unnecessary challenge to our already difficult 9 game conference schedule.   

• Plus1 1