B1G Semifinal: Nebrasketball vs Illinois

I'll take the blame for the loss.  When we were up 15 and Illinois called the TO, while standing and cheering I thought to myself "I am going to get to watch Nebrasketball play for a conference tourney championship tomorrow. In person! How unbelievable is that?".  And that is when the game turned.

But on the plus side I saved a couple hundred $$$ and don't have to be around a bunch of Wisconsin fans tomorrow.  So that's a small win.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... everyone always likes to blame the refs.

We gave up 58 points.  We played exactly zero defense.

I think the imbalance in how the game was called on both ends (not saying we didn't foul, but 9-3 foul differential with 12 minutes to go) affected how the defense played as they couldn't breath on Shannon driving without a foul being called. Then when one of our guys would drive and get similar contact, nothing.

But, we also have to make shots and get the ball in the basket.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
13 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I think the imbalance in how the game was called on both ends (not saying we didn't foul, but 9-3 foul differential with 12 minutes to go) affected how the defense played as they couldn't breath on Shannon driving without a foul being called. Then when one of our guys would drive and get similar contact, nothing.

Or .... when you're not playing good defense and getting in good position, you're going to foul more.

13 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

But, we also have to make shots and get the ball in the basket.

This was also poor.  Our shot selection was terrible.

• Plus1 1

Honestly just happy Nebraska won a game in the tournament. Told myself if they beat Illinois, it'll be a bonus for an already successful big10 tournament. Now just need that one ncaa tournament win. Everything else after that will be a bonus for an already successful season.

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

1st Half

Nebraska 58% FG 38% 3FG

Illinois 35% FG 29% 3FG

2nd Half

Nebraska 36% FG 18% 3FG

Illinois 59% FG 55% 3FG

In the league "NBA" (and the greats in college basketball), when the best coaches sense a momentum change is happening, they will kill the flow of the game immediately and call time outs.  Because it disrupts the momentum and it slows the game down to a halt.  They do it instantly, several times before it gets too late.  Interupt a team's rhythm minute by minute and inbetween foul shots if need be.   Greg Popovich, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, Mike Krzyzewski, Bobby Knight, etc... 

Hoiberg saw the flood happening but did nothing about it.  This is a coaching mistake by Fred and he should have put a stop to it right away.  Even if it took a few TO's to shake it up.  But instead he just watched like Jason Kidd and saw it unravel before it was too late.  Bad HC job IMHO

• TBH 1
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... everyone always likes to blame the refs.

We gave up 58 points.  We played exactly zero defense.

Did Nebraska play poorly in the second half?  Yes, but without Shannon Illinois isn't in position to  put up 58.

52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yes, without the best player on the court playing...Illinois would have scored less. 

And had they called those two he wouldn't have been playing.  Just those two obvious ones.  I know they missed dozens of fouls both ways because B1G officiating is nothing if not inconsistent.

Hell, if Illinois had any guts he wouldn't even be on the team.  I know if I was a woman on their campus, I would be filing Title Nine complaints about them allowing an indited rapist on campus.  I know that his lawyers went to court to get him reinstated, but the school caved immediately because they didn't really want to suspend him but did so because of media pressure.  The university & especially the athletic department got exactly what they wanted.  They appeared to be "tough", but had no choice when a judge ruled that his rights had been violated, they didn't appeal.

34 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

And had they called those two he wouldn't have been playing.  Just those two obvious ones.  I know they missed dozens of fouls both ways because B1G officiating is nothing if not inconsistent.

Hell, if Illinois had any guts he wouldn't even be on the team.  I know if I was a woman on their campus, I would be filing Title Nine complaints about them allowing an indited rapist on campus.  I know that his lawyers went to court to get him reinstated, but the school caved immediately because they didn't really want to suspend him but did so because of media pressure.  The university & especially the athletic department got exactly what they wanted.  They appeared to be "tough", but had no choice when a judge ruled that his rights had been violated, they didn't appeal.

Wait, a judge said he has the right to play but that is not good enough for you?  

Tell you what.  I am officially accusing you of murder.  So you are now a killer.  Got it.  Because that is how it works in your mind.  

• Plus1 1