"...we are going to upset those boys. Mark my words."

Craig sees breakout year for Huskers

Craig sees breakout year for Huskers

BY MARK REIN

SCOTTSBLUFF STAR-HERALD

SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. — This fall, former Nebraska running back Roger Craig believes, could be special for the Husker football team.

Craig was in Scottsbluff on Saturday, attending the Blue Spruce Club golf tournament at the Scotts Bluff Country Club. He predicted 3½ years ago that Big Red would return to its previous glory. Last year's team made it to the Big 12 title game and to the Cotton Bowl. This year, he said, the Huskers will go further.

"I think they will be great. I think this is their breakout year," said Craig, who lives in California where he works for a software company.

"This year they will break into the Top 10 because I think they have the tools, and the coaches understand how to teach the West Coast offense to the players. That takes a lot of time to learn the West Coast offense.

"Now that they are comfortable and they know what they need, they are going to do some big things this year. They are going to upset USC, and I can't wait. I will be at that game. It's the third game of the season, and we are going to upset those boys. Mark my words."

Craig, who visits Nebraska regularly and attends Husker football games, certainly knows what it takes to learn the West Coast offense. He said it took him about three years to get comfortable with the system when he played for the NFL's San Francisco 49ers.

When he became the featured back for the 49ers, he put up impressive numbers. One of his biggest highlights was becoming the first NFL running back to run for 1,000 yards and to surpass 1,000 yards receiving in a season in 1985. The 49ers won three Super Bowl titles in the 1980s with Craig's help.

Craig's success in football, at Nebraska and at San Francisco, stemmed from taking care of his body and setting goals.

"You have to really condition yourself in the offseason. You have to do the maintenance that carries your body," Craig said. "I took pride in the maintenance as well as the conditioning of my body to get strong and to get faster.

"I took care of getting massages and going to chiropractors and getting adjustments."

Craig was invited to speak at the Blue Spruce Club banquet Saturday night. "It is always great to come back to Nebraska, especially to be around Nebraska fans, who are the best fans on the planet," he said.

"Craig, who visits Nebraska regularly and attends Husker football games,"

but, but I thought former players were not allowed in the stadium. Not allowed anywhere near the field. I thought all former players were forbidden to even come to the games...let alone be supportive of the program and coaches. :sarcasm:sarcasm

Sounds like at least one former player has his head pulled from his ass. :clap:hellloooo:corndance:corndance

the only thing i garner from this is:

1. a former husker has pride in the program and has trust in the direction

2. a super bowl winner who understands the WCO from the inventor of the WCO

3. speaking positively about the program and seems to follow the players and coaches progress

i think its great and if he can influence the players to believe...then bonus.

Go Big Red

but, but I thought former players were not allowed in the stadium. Not allowed anywhere near the field. I thought all former players were forbidden to even come to the games...let alone be supportive of the program and coaches. :sarcasm:sarcasm

Sounds like at least one former player has his head pulled from his ass. :clap:hellloooo:corndance:corndance

Wow, that's kind of what I thought.

Mr. Craig, that deserves a :horns2

It is nice to see a former player be supportive of this regime!!!! :bonez:bonez