Question of running up the scor

Actually, when MU went for the fake field goal I felt a little sorry for Pinkel that he needed that to feel good about himself. Perhaps he's compensating. Can't he just buy a Ferrari instead.

I know no one here will agree with me, but at the time, Mizzou was up 34-6 with just about 12 minutes remaining. Against USC, the Huskers scored 28 points in the 4th quarter. Putting 7 points on the board rather than 3 meant NU would have to score the 28 plus 2 FG's or a TD rather than 28 plus 1 FG. Stranger things have happened. Your guys had the talent to do it. You just didn't. It was a smart move and good practice for what might be needed in a future game.

In fact, Pinkel hates running up the score and mentioned to Chase D. on the sideline that he wished they hadn't score the final TD against Colorado. He's a class act.

This isn't the special olympics or YMCA where everyone gets a medal or participation ribbon.

It's up to the other team to stop you. How you do it should be the issue. If the starters aren't in the game and the score keeps going up then so be it.

People get too concerned about feelings and being too PC. There are much bigger issues out there. Crime, poverty, the school systems being abysmal.

Until they put in measures to keep the score down like a running clock (bad idea) then it is part of the game.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

The object of any game:

When on offence you score.

When on defence you stop the other guy from scoring.

Running up the score is a product of how you play your players.

If the team is comfortable with how they played and if all seniors got a chance to at least be on the field for a play or two then that's acceptable.

TO was once called out for running up the score on a very poor Minnesota team. No one bothered to note that the '83 Huskers were one of the best teams ever, that the '83 Gophers were one of the worst teams ever, that they played in a fast track dome and that NCAA rules limited the number of players who could travel.

Great team, bad team, in doors and TO didn't have enough players to stop the scoring.

There is no running up the score there is only playing the game.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Running up the score? Who cares? What are ya...a bunch of girls? Run that SOB up to a million if you can! Let the starters pound on then and then put everybody else in so they can pound away too! Let them know you're superior to them in every way and then, when they come back the next year thinking about revenge...pound em again! You let up on em and win by...say...10 points and then they start thinking stuff like..."We just barely got beat" "That game was close...we'll get em next year" You don't want that...you want to rip every shred of confidence and dignity they have away.

Geez...I can't believe people are worried about running up the score...must be a nice problem to have considering my Clones have trouble scoring, let alone running the score up.

This isn't the special olympics or YMCA where everyone gets a medal or participation ribbon.

It's up to the other team to stop you. How you do it should be the issue. If the starters aren't in the game and the score keeps going up then so be it.

People get too concerned about feelings and being too PC. There are much bigger issues out there. Crime, poverty, the school systems being abysmal.

Until they put in measures to keep the score down like a running clock (bad idea) then it is part of the game.

Exactly, keep playing hard, but with different personnel. The starters were in for about half the 4th quarter, and Lucky was brought back in to score a td.

If the second and third teams put up a hundred on the opponents, then so be it, but you don't have to play your starters after being up by 35 or 40 points late in the game.

Actually, when MU went for the fake field goal I felt a little sorry for Pinkel that he needed that to feel good about himself. Perhaps he's compensating. Can't he just buy a Ferrari instead.

I know no one here will agree with me, but at the time, Mizzou was up 34-6 with just about 12 minutes remaining. Against USC, the Huskers scored 28 points in the 4th quarter. Putting 7 points on the board rather than 3 meant NU would have to score the 28 plus 2 FG's or a TD rather than 28 plus 1 FG. Stranger things have happened. Your guys had the talent to do it. You just didn't. It was a smart move and good practice for what might be needed in a future game.

In fact, Pinkel hates running up the score and mentioned to Chase D. on the sideline that he wished they hadn't score the final TD against Colorado. He's a class act.

Wrong!

(I'll agree witcha)

This is one of the few season since I've been in this incarnation, that we've probably had the score "run up" on us.

Doesn't feel nearly as bad as I thought it would.

I'd feel really, really, humiliated if the other team started taking a knee with 5 minutes left.

If I hadn't just attended the Kansas game the week prior, I would have just felt happy for the players. They had a lot of frustration to take out, and I'm sure it felt good.

However, there's no reason to go for it twice on fourth down during a drive where you are up 52-17. Furthermore, there's no reason to attempt a halfback pass in the same series. I agree, it's our fault we didn't stop Kansas, and it's K State's fault they didn't stop NU, but there are some play calls that are just unnecessary at certain points in the game (see also: Utah's onside kick in the 4th quarter, up 43-0).

Remember how dirty it felt when Pinkel called that fake FG? How about Mangino trotting his kicker out to attmept a near-50 yarder when he's already scored 69? I felt that was stupid politicking on their parts, and I feel the same way about Callahan putting Lucky in on 4th and 2 for a meaningless touchdown in the fourth quarter.

I wonder how things would be now if Lucky would have been hurt on that 4th and 2 or if Joe gets hurt on that 4th and 20.. BC would look like a total fool, even more so than after the OSU game...

The onside kick in the Utah game was priceless. I absolutely loved it. It made it even better with his comments after the game.

"He gauranteed a win, he must have known something I didn't so how can I shut it down in the 3rd quarter."

Or something to that effect. Joe Glenn deserved to have the score ran up on him and I think he knows it.

Maybe with the way the defense has played this year, Callllllahan was just trying to get a "solid lead." :lol:

Seriously, I don't like the "running up the score" argument but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. It is the defenses job to stop you, but you should never try to embarrass your opponent. The way Callllllahan did it was totally classless. You should put in your reserves and tell them to play their asses off, not pitch the damn ball all over the yard with your first unit players. You need to "pound the rock" and shorten the game to lessen the embarrassment. Callllllahan is just bitter cuz he hasn't had the opportunity to kick anyone's ass, he hates Prince and Freeman, he was trying to show off his system, and he wanted to give a big "screw you" to all of us and Tom Osborne.

It just more classless and clueless actions by a guy who doesn't get it, and never will.