DE Kevin Young

I'm honestly kinda glad to get rid of Young now rather than later. I'm not gonna lie, the kid is a talent and the coaches really wanted him as well, but how much can you really succeed if you are worrying about who is behind you and who is being recruited besides you?

The stars in college football never worry about who is ahead of them on the depth chart or who is being recruited, because they think they can beat them.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating now -- this is the main reason schools like Texas, Florida, USC, etc., can constantly be that much better than everyone else. Sure it's easy from a talent standpoint, but every single one of those kids could give a damm about the person in front of them or the kid who will be recruited along side them. They really have that 'swagger' and self-confidence in themselves. Not only that, but having that talent day after day pushing you makes you that much better.

Kevin is a talent and he needs to realize that sooner or later. Kid doesn't need to worry about anyone else but himself and be confident enough that he can take the job from anyone in front of him.

17 year old kid, so I understand. I just hope he doesn't waste his talent worrying about silly stuff.

Off topic, but this thread is another example of how mature and excellent most Husker fans are. Most boards would be in COMPLETE meltdown. Here's to your class...

:cheers

Yeah, if this was in the main football thread I'm sure a few folks would be saying some kind of horrible things aobut the kid. And we are all feeling good about the bowl win right now but in genreal I did expect this thread to get a little nasty (as did some others if you scroll up).

Good luck to the kid at KU. I think the recruiting pressure these young kids get is probably more than they are ready for at this age.

He apparently feels like he was told something other than what is happening? I'm a little curious about that but.....who knows what he was told and what he heard.

Maybe he's got a young girly at home. I know I picked a college close to home bc/ my girl was a year younger than me and I wanted to be able to go home and get some.....I mean see my true love from time to time.

Maybe he really did just feel KU was the right place for him.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating now -- this is the main reason schools like Texas, Florida, USC, etc., can constantly be that much better than everyone else. Sure it's easy from a talent standpoint, but every single one of those kids could give a damm about the person in front of them or the kid who will be recruited along side them. They really have that 'swagger' and self-confidence in themselves. Not only that, but having that talent day after day pushing you makes you that much better.

Completely agree. I am glad Bo and staff are doing this at NU as it is essential to getting our program back to the very elite. These kids that can't take the competition...well, let them go play at places like...

Kansas.

Completely agree. I am glad Bo and staff are doing this at NU as it is essential to getting our program back to the very elite. These kids that can't take the competition...well, let them go play at places like...

Kansas.

And.....ditto to the above once again. We read comments all the time from forum participants wondering and aghast about how any top level talent would even think of going to a USC with all the resident talent already on hand. And the threat that they are obviously going to offer to more of the same and receive such commits every year. No doubt those types of players believe that they will be the top dog at their position at some point. They aren't scared of being challenged at their position. They are the type that are confident in their superior ability. And the top programs get those types coming year after year regardless of the existing depth and threat of more.

Hate to burst you boys bubble, but I would reiterate from earlier that KU has a lot more PT competition coming in to compete with Young. YOu all have better DEs today, but we have a lot of good ones coming rate as high as Young, and we are still recruiting too.

I also do not agree with you on another point. If I am the 5th best RB in the country and 1-4 are at USC, I probably don't go there. It is not fear, it is practical. I probably could have a bigger impact at a different school, and there are a lot of great programs. If I am a Juco QB coming into this year, with 2 years to play, I am not going to Florida. I want a chance to play, and Tebow is not gonna sit. I would go someplace that the job would be a possibility, not a settled matter form day one....

P.S. I wish KU had this issue of 5 stars coming out our ears, but alas, no.

Hate to burst you boys bubble, but I would reiterate from earlier that KU has a lot more PT competition coming in to compete with Young. YOu all have better DEs today, but we have a lot of good ones coming rate as high as Young, and we are still recruiting too.

I also do not agree with you on another point. If I am the 5th best RB in the country and 1-4 are at USC, I probably don't go there. It is not fear, it is practical. I probably could have a bigger impact at a different school, and there are a lot of great programs. If I am a Juco QB coming into this year, with 2 years to play, I am not going to Florida. I want a chance to play, and Tebow is not gonna sit. I would go someplace that the job would be a possibility, not a settled matter form day one....

Thats okay, your QBs will be running for their lives from a guy named Jason Ankrah in the very near future. Okay guys, no more bumping this thread. This guy was crazy for not wanting to play for what will be the best defense in the country very soon.

You see that as a fan, of course.

As a recruit, Kevin Young can see it completely differently. Which is less bias?

So either you are right or you are saying Kevin is a little bit stupid in what he saw in relation to how he would get PT.

So Kevin backed out on KU first, now backed out on NU and so who did he take up with now? Is he back with KU?

I agree that most of those kids that don't want to face competition are the type of kid you don't want on the field anyways. Anybody remember Odell James? He was highly touted and signed early on but opted out citing too much competition. He ended up a very average player for and even got moved to other positions.

So why does USC continue to get the top kids? Your comment is not backed up by the number of players they get in the top tier of the recruits. I am not sure Kevin is going to get the respect he should be getting because he backed out of two school and then went back. If I was Mangino, I would have told him the scholarship is gone and you need to sleep in the bed you made....now I completely understand that is easier to say than actually do. I am not sure how college coaches can handle this year after year. I would go absolutely crazy!!!!

Best of luck to you Kevin....I hope he doesn't crack under the pressures of college football!

You see that as a fan, of course.

As a recruit, Kevin Young can see it completely differently. Which is less bias?

So either you are right or you are saying Kevin is a little bit stupid in what he saw in relation to how he would get PT.

Wasn't there talk at one point that Mangino pulled or would pull his offer to Young if he looked at other schools. The whole loyalty thing that Mangino has stuck with in the past. I guess he was willing to set a whole new prescedent.

It seems what jayhawk is saying is that there are probably other reasons - not the ones he gives out in the interview, but his own - that he preferred Kansas over Nebraska. That's fine. The whole PT/recruiting other DEs thing is probably just some generic thing he gave out because he had to say something. I'm sure there were plenty of other contributing reasons.