DE Kevin Young

So was it really about us still wanting Logan or possibly JPP? Either way, now getting Logan or JPP becomes a need not a luxury.

Young didn't like the idea of competition.......these kids that throw in the towel, when we recruit more guys to play the same position.....well, if they don't have any more confidence in their ability than that, they just don't belong here. we have seen this before......no great loss.

So was it really about us still wanting Logan or possibly JPP? Either way, now getting Logan or JPP becomes a need not a luxury.

Young didn't like the idea of competition.......these kids that throw in the towel, when we recruit more guys to play the same position.....well, if they don't have any more confidence in their ability than that, they just don't belong here. we have seen this before......no great loss.

IF that's the case then we don't need him. I'd rather have players with confidence and character. You can't be a great player if you are affraid of competition.

I completely disagree with that. Young didn't leave Nebraska because of competition. From what I've heard he is a pretty good kid. If you go to the rivals site, you'll see that KU has recruited 3 other defensive ends, besides young, that are all ranked higher than Young. He'll likely redshirt at KU.

Regardless, these kids are 18 year olds. They change their mind like the wind!

^Exactly.

Wasn't it Josh Williams who last year, committed to Nebraska, committed to Colorado, and then came back to Nebraska late in the process? (Granted not this late).

Recruiting is a cutthroat game that puts undue pressure on the kids being recruited. I'm not surprised that some kids are going to be unable to make up their minds. Hopefully he will be happy with this decision. It does NOT take bad character to decommit.

Also if you want to draw an analogy, one that's been drawn before by college coaches themselves, it's kind of like dating, where "Committing" means a player and the school are "going steady."

In most cases, these players are expected to be "going steady" after what - just a couple dates (visits)? Oftentimes one, sometimes none! The rest of their communication is long-distance: online, on phone, or snail mail. Meanwhile the schools are courting other players at your position too. Not exactly a stable relationship :D

I completely disagree with that. Young didn't leave Nebraska because of competition. From what I've heard he is a pretty good kid. If you go to the rivals site, you'll see that KU has recruited 3 other defensive ends, besides young, that are all ranked higher than Young. He'll likely redshirt at KU.

How can you disagree with it, when the kid said it himself that he was not happy about us still recruiting DE ?

LINK

“I just didn’t feel right with Nebraska,” Young told Scout. “I started to think about where I would be able to succeed the most and everything in my heart told me Kansas.

“I just started feeling like this. I felt like I was told one thing and other things were occurring. They were still recruiting (defensive ends) and playing time seemed an issue. I just feel like I will be better off at Kansas.“

Enjoy your time at KU Mr. Young. Hope you work hard or you may be riding the pine behind all of the other D-Ends.

Honestly - and I'm fishing here - maybe he's giving out reasons just to give out reasons and because he has to answer some questions about it in the press. When it comes down to it, it probably is just he wanted to go to Kansas more. And that happens. Nothing wrong with it.

However, I am a little confused by his 'still recruiting DEs' thing. We backed off on a five-star JUCO DE and Bennie Logan is being recruited as a DT? But whatever.

I heard, and this seems to me one of the more credible reasons, that Earnest Norman was part of the reason why he committed, and with Norman gone, so was he. The timing is certainly striking. The fact that Norman couldn't make it may have distressed him and contributed to his switch.

I am completely over it.. Good luck to him accept against us..

If him and Norman are so tight. Does Norman have the grades to get into KU?

I read that he had the grades to go to D1 just not high enough standards for Nebraska..

I would assume Norman wouldn't be able to get into any 12-school with his current scores.

IF that's the case then we don't need him. I'd rather have players with confidence and character. You can't be a great player if you are affraid of competition.

i agree, how else could you interpret his comments? this isn't high school and we don't hold anyone's hand here!........good luck, kid.