Is Ganz a crybaby..or what?

Maybe every year we should have the backup QB start, because apparently they are always the best choice. It's funny, because last year, when NU hit their huge slump, everyone was saying how Keller should be pulled because Ganz was much better than Keller. Now that Ganz is probably going to start, it is "clear" that Lee (or perhaps Witt) would be a better choice.

First of all, to compare Keller and Ganz is kind of unfair. Both QBs have totally different styles. Keller drops back to pass, and stays in the pocket (I don't remember him running around a whole lot back there). Ganz is more mobile. Sure he doesn't have the best arm, but Keller doesn't either. Keller was a little above average, in my opinion (as we are seeing as he tries to make it in the NFL). So, would I rather have a mobile QB with an average arm, or a stationary QB with a little above average arm? My personal choice would be the former, but this is just my opinion.

I'm not rooting for any QB in particular; I just want the best QB that can lead this offense in the most efficient way. I think that is the key. Could a JUCO player with no Division I experience do that? Maybe. My point is that Ganz has Division I experience, he has been with Nebraska's "new" offense since day one, and it seems that all of the players really admire and trust him as a leader.

Those three things outweigh the fact that Lee and/or Witt may be a better athlete (although I can't really even say this, because I have never seen Lee or Witt play). All anyone has ever seen of Lee and Witt are short clips of practice, or short clips that were put together for the purpose of having them recruited. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't really pass judgement on how good or bad either QB is.

I have seen Ganz play. Sure he hasn't thrown the best ball every single play, but you know what? Those receivers out there busted their ass to try and go up and catch it. They were behind Ganz, and it seems like they still are.

Last year when Ganz started, he didn't have anything to lose. He could just go out there and play football, and let whatever happen, happen. The Huskers weren't doing well, so even if he did go out there and perform bad, it wouldn't really matter. This year, he is the starter (most likely), and he is starting at 0-0. How much pressure will this put on him knowing that he has a clean slate to work with?

Not sure, but I am anxious to find out.

Good reply and you are correct, I dont know personally if Witt and Lee are better athletes, just what ive heard. I want the best to play as well and hope they do. All I am saying is ganz from what i have seen is not that talented. I dont know if Witt and Lee are more talented but i would hope as a fan that they are. I guess what i am trying to say is If Ganz is the best we have then we dont have very much

You know what, if I was Ganz I would be talking smack too. Callahan brought in Zac Taylor because he didn't believe that Ganz could do it.....same thing with Keller. Don't get me wrong, I thought that Zac was one hell of a QB but Keller is a different story.

To be honest Keller was a joke and he proved it. Ganz played for only three games and did better than Keller did in his first three games of the year. To me that's a slap in Callahan's face saying that Ganz should've been the starter and for not believing in his players thus why we had a sh*tty year.

Ganz proved that he could do a lot with the football and very few people had faith in him. I was one of those people who wanted Keller to start way before the 07' season ever started. But once Keller was choking and threw interception after interception, I wanted Ganz to take over. Even though that we lost the Colorado game, I thought that Ganz had showed us his mobility where Keller lacked and his throwing ability. Ganz is one hell of a QB.

So i'm glad that Ganz is saying all of this.....he's trying to prove a point that saying "Ya I can lead this team and be an outstanding Quarterback!" Way to Ganz.....you deserve it. :clap

Yeah That. Ganz deserves to be a little cocky from all the crap he's taken

Ganz threw plenty of interceptions too. And the big thing is, most of his came at extremely important and unfortunate times in the game.

Ummm I would agree but he only had maybe two interceptions that came down to hurt us, one for sure against Colorado. But I would take Ganz's 16 TDs and 7 INTs against Keller's 14 TDs and 10 INTs any day of the week.

i said long time ago, cally and keller's old man made a deal for the kid to start and play. ganz is the man, he will prove it this year, he only had 3 games and was bound to throw some pics.....he is the man this year and probably was last year too. cally sucked, as we all now know.

I agree. Callahan knew Keller well before he started coaching at Nebraska. Keller transferred to Nebraska because after Taylor we would need help at the Quarterback postion since Harrison Beck left. Everybody knew that Keller was going to be the starter. It wouldn't make any sense having a guy transfer to a school and to not play at all when arriving at that one school.

Willie, Ganz has less talent than Beau Davis? Jim Ebke? Kody Spano?

Also, if Ganz is the one to get the team rallying around him, would you say it would be good for another QB to get the starting job?

I don't even count Ebke to be honest. He'll be a guy that will get eventually moved anyways, IMO.

And as far as talent, just being able to make throws, Beau is better than him as is Spano. Beau could be a helluva QB, but I think the guy literally has some type of eating disorder. Not joking about that either. He literally cannot put on any weight. Spano, OTOH, just needs time to develop. But as far talent, Spano is ahead of Ganz.

If Witt or Lee battled the way Ganz has and earned respect in the way Ganz has from his peers, I have no doubt either of them would start over Ganz.

To just use a figure of speech -- if this team were to go to war, Ganz would be the General everyone would want leading the troops.

It's really fun to watch the tapes from last year. If you have any, just watch Ganz and look at some of the throws he makes. Sometimes he cannot even get a tight spiral on the ball and it looks like a lame duck, but somehow the WR's just bail him out. That's not a knock on him, because I am sure everyone can see his talent level isn't that high. It's just uncanny how much this team wants him to do well.

Three games does not make him a God! I do agree with some of the post by dlrn64. I have said before I am not completely sold on Ganz. The question is, will Bo/Watson stick with him if he starts to throw dumb passes that the DBs actually catch this year? Time will tell if Ganz is the "real" deal. I hope I eat my words......

I completely agree. I'm not completely sold on Ganz yet either.

Willie, Ganz has less talent than Beau Davis? Jim Ebke? Kody Spano?

Also, if Ganz is the one to get the team rallying around him, would you say it would be good for another QB to get the starting job?

I don't even count Ebke to be honest. He'll be a guy that will get eventually moved anyways, IMO.

And as far as talent, just being able to make throws, Beau is better than him as is Spano. Beau could be a helluva QB, but I think the guy literally has some type of eating disorder. Not joking about that either. He literally cannot put on any weight. Spano, OTOH, just needs time to develop. But as far talent, Spano is ahead of Ganz.

If Witt or Lee battled the way Ganz has and earned respect in the way Ganz has from his peers, I have no doubt either of them would start over Ganz.

To just use a figure of speech -- if this team were to go to war, Ganz would be the General everyone would want leading the troops.

It's really fun to watch the tapes from last year. If you have any, just watch Ganz and look at some of the throws he makes. Sometimes he cannot even get a tight spiral on the ball and it looks like a lame duck, but somehow the WR's just bail him out. That's not a knock on him, because I am sure everyone can see his talent level isn't that high. It's just uncanny how much this team wants him to do well.

neither Lee nor Witt have taken a snap in a game yet, so i am not sure how anyone can say they are both better than Ganz. field decisions, running/scrambling ability are all part of a successful qb. i would venture to say Lee and Witt would make their share of mistakes in their first 3 games, yet many are ready to throw out Joey......face it, we need to see more development in all these guys.

Three games does not make him a God! I do agree with some of the post by dlrn64. I have said before I am not completely sold on Ganz. The question is, will Bo/Watson stick with him if he starts to throw dumb passes that the DBs actually catch this year? Time will tell if Ganz is the "real" deal. I hope I eat my words......

I completely agree. I'm not completely sold on Ganz yet either.

Using this logic (and I know neither of you may be trying to make this argument), then why are so many people saying Lee and Witt are better than Ganz? How many games have those two played in Division I football?

Hmmm...

Don't forget that BC ran a heavily starters-oriented practice-system. Ganz spent more time standing-around and little time with the first-string. He'll be getting more quality practice now which should up his game. To me the only major qb-issue is whether Lee or Witt can establish himself as a clear #2. Right now it seems the same, Witt has a slight lead due to superior system-knowledge but they like Lee's upside more.

Maybe Ganz will disappoint, I remember when Carpenter at ASU was supposed to tear it up for me in fantasy-league after kicking ass when he got his shot in '05 but laid a huge egg in '06. I think we'll run a more conservative O that won't repeat Ganz's gawdy '07 numbers. But I think he'll average a couple td's per game and have a very respectable year. Let's face it, if Ganz had been one of the big recruits he'd have gotten a shot sooner and folks wouldn't be so quick to doubt him.

Ganz threw plenty of interceptions too. And the big thing is, most of his came at extremely important and unfortunate times in the game.

Ummm I would agree but he only had maybe two interceptions that came down to hurt us, one for sure against Colorado. But I would take Ganz's 16 TDs and 7 INTs against Keller's 14 TDs and 10 INTs any day of the week.

Just remember, if you take out the KState game (7TDs, no picks), Ganz had 9 TDs and 7 INTs. I think his stat line is a little misleading because BC kept throwing all over KState even after the game was in the bag and the opposing defense had shut down. The 9 TD's to 7 INT's is probably a little more accurate in terms of trying to project his stats over the course of a full season and in cometitive games, which makes him pretty comparable to Keller, statistically at least.