RB David Oku

So, any idea's on where he'll end up?

Said that he is sending tape to 15 teams that don't run the spread.. I don't know if we have a chance or not.. Is our offense considered a spread??

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if he's thinking Mike Leach or the coach from Cinci are the top candidates and therefore Tenn will be running the spread.

FYI I'm not sure if this his reason for an aversion to the spread, but NFL teams find that RBs running the spread in college are ill-adjusted to the blocking schemes in the pro ranks.

Nebraska's zone blocking schemes are like the zone-blocking practiced by NFL teams like Denver. When Nebraska is described to be spreading it out since about game 5, this just means they are not packing it in tight formations for run plays, this in turn results in fewer players in the box. Nebraska does not run the spread.

Tennessean:

UT loses Oku commitment

Tennessee commitment David Oku, who is ranked by some recruiting sites as the nation’s No. 1 all-purpose running back, has reopened his recruiting. The reason involves the recent firing of UT Coach Phillip Fulmer and the future of the program, he said.

“I don’t think Tennessee will get the right coach for me,” Oku told Rivals.com. “I’m going to send tape out to 15 different schools that don’t run spread. I’m just not really buying into Tennessee’s coaching search.”

Before committing to UT in October, the four-star prospect narrowed his short list to Clemson, Florida State, Michigan, Louisville, Nebraska and the Vols.

Oku, who hails from Oklahoma, said he has two official visits remaining.

“I’m looking at (coaches’) job security for my next school,” Oku said.

UT also recently lost a commitment from three-star safety D.J. Swearinger, who pulled his commitment and opted for South Carolina instead.

Speculation on VolNation is he thinks Kelly or Leach (spread guys) are the definite choice for Tenn coach, but maybe he'd reconsider if Kiffin (who would likely run a pro-style offense) were the pick.

Hmmm.. I read that article too. Just didnt know what Oku considered a "spread" offense. Volnation thinks he might be going to OSU with his teammate Lowe.. Oku has two official visits left that he can take. I would imagine that we would be at the very least in his top 3. Unless we quit recruiting him..

Yes well that is the question. If he means the spread offense as is typically known, no spread and coaching stability narrows the list significantly.

After reading that I'm not sure if I want this kid to come here. It seems like he's just into himself and thats it. He doesn't want to catch the football for 4 years and blah blah blah which is understandable. It's a team effort not just yourself. If your coach wants you to catch the football for 4 years you do it, you gotta do anything out of your norm if you want to win football games.

Back with Tenn according to ESPN:

David Oku happy with new Vols' coach

ESPNU 150 running back David Oku of Midwest City, Okla., is standing by his commitment to Tennessee with the hiring of Lane Kiffin as the Vols' new head coach.

Oku had reopened his recruiting due to the recent firing of Phillip Fulmer and the future of the football team. The prospect had preferred that Kiffin lead the Tennessee program and talked with the former NFL Oakland Raiders coach twice on Sunday.

The highly-coveted ball-carrier, rated No. 13 among running backs in the Class of 2009, had picked the Vols over Nebraska, Michigan, Florida State, Clemson and Louisville.

Oku ran for 326 yards and four touchdowns during a 47-14 victory over Lawton MacArthur in the Oklahoma state semifinals this past weekend.

I have watched a few films on Oku and really didn't see anything that was the "wow" factor. Can anyone link any vids of this kid showing his stuff? I see the stats all the time but the vids I've seen are really not that impressive. I dono?

The cuts and especially jump cuts he makes are a thing of beauty. When that kid plants his foot in the ground, watch out.

I have watched a few films on Oku and really didn't see anything that was the "wow" factor. Can anyone link any vids of this kid showing his stuff? I see the stats all the time but the vids I've seen are really not that impressive. I dono?

The cuts and especially jump cuts he makes are a thing of beauty. When that kid plants his foot in the ground, watch out.

Why are we still talking about this kid?

Why are we still talking about this kid?

shouldn't you still be trashing vondrae?