Is Kansas going to snap their losing streak in Lincoln?

Anything can happen in College football. We ALL should know this. Nothing is a gimme anymore.

You can say that again. Who expected NU to have played so well against Texas last year in the first 3 quarters? How many times did the #1 team last year get knocked off. USC who was basically handed the NC crown at the beginning of last season lost to lowly Stanford.

Oregon last year was destined for greatness until their QB went down with injury. If the QB's at Mizzou and KU go down, I don't think they have the depth to overcome it. There's a lot of things that can within a season, an injury here or there or a mishap with the law here or there. I think one of the first things that will be stressed this year is that no one comes into our house and pushes us around. Does this mean we will beat either team? Of course not, but I don't see us getting drumbed like we did last year.

We do have a tough schedule, but most of our tough games are at home. Having Mizzou, KU, CU, and VT gives us a decent chance. I don't think we'll win all 4. We may not even win any of them. However, I'm hopeful we will win at least 2 of them. Optimistically, we might survive the season with only 3 losses. Pessimistically, we might very well lose 6. Realistically, I think we'll end the season with 4 or 5 losses.

Losing their DC and their top two defensive players hurts. But they have the other nine starters back and that will help the new guy a lot. Their D will still be good. Getting the JUCO uberstud rb and Reesing being another year wiser will make-up for the losses at rb and wr. The O will roll. They will be plenty good. Their sched is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more difficult so their record won't be the same, but this will still be a team to look out for. I think they will play spoiler to either Mizzou, OU, or Texas.

Losing their DC and their top two defensive players hurts. But they have the other nine starters back and that will help the new guy a lot. Their D will still be good. Getting the JUCO uberstud rb and Reesing being another year wiser will make-up for the losses at rb and wr. The O will roll. They will be plenty good. Their sched is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more difficult so their record won't be the same, but this will still be a team to look out for. I think they will play spoiler to either Mizzou, OU, or Texas.

I have to agree with Danimal. KU will be a better team next year despite their losses. Crawford (Juco RB) is simply a beast, and should be MORE productive than McAnderson was. They'll have a great one two punch with him and Jake Sharp out of the backfield. The defense will be even better than last year despite losing Talib and MClinton. Mclinton wasn't 100% for the final 6 games of the year, so I doubt that will be much of a factor with the other 9 coming back. Talib's loss will hurt, but not nearly as much as some think. Everyone else is back from a very deep and instinct smart secondary.

The schedule is WAY more difficult. There is no doubt about that. If KU can get off to a hot start and go 6-0 before the game in Norman, then I think that will give them the momentum to finish 10-2. The Texas and Texas Tech games are in Lawrence. KU also hosts KSU and CU. Unless there is a long string of key injuries, I just don't see ANY team coming into Lawrence and winning this year. The two trap games are at Lincoln and at ISU. I disagree with an earlier post that says all of the pressure is on KU when they come to Lincoln. I completely disagree. KU has NOTHING to lose this year since everyone is predicting them to finish 8-4. If there ever was a year for KU to beat Nebraska in Lincoln then it's this year. This is their best shot in 40 years. Only time will tell how many injuries have hit these two teams before they meet. KU plays South Florida, OU, CU, and I believe Texas Tech before they even play Nebraska on Nov. 8th. All tough match ups that could leave the team banged up.

Of course I'm picking Kansas to win the game by looking at it on paper, but the game will be decided on the field. I can't wait. :cheers

The game is slated for November 8, 2008... will it be a repeat of the OT win we had in 2006? Will we outright smash them? Or will KU prevail and finally end a streak that has plagued them for four centuries?

KU is not a team that I can hate--at this point. I mean how can we hate a team that has been one of Big Red's punching bags for, like, 50 yrs or so. Also, who cannot but like and respect the Mangenious?! I really like that guy, he's unpretentious and has done a helluva job with lesser talent. I'm still scratching my head at well KU did last year: all their guys looked slow to me, though they had some very good receivers.

That being said, I think their rout of the Huskers last year was somewhat flukey(the '07 Huskers being a huge anomaly) and I dont see them beating us in Lincoln this coming season. Sure, Reesing will be better, but I think Joey Ganz will be every bit as good and I think our D--though there are question marks-- will be playing with a vengeance this year. I still think we have more talent that KU, Lucky and Castille will be a force. I think the overall attitude of the team under Bo P will be, shall I say, FEARSOME!

NE wins a close one, is all I can say, just a gut feeling, I guess.... :restore

Missouri is the 'class' of the north this year, having created some separation from the rest, and I probably fear CO, though I hate to admit it, more than I do KU.

The game is slated for November 8, 2008... will it be a repeat of the OT win we had in 2006? Will we outright smash them? Or will KU prevail and finally end a streak that has plagued them for four centuries?

KU is not a team that I can hate--at this point. I mean how can we hate a team that has been one of Big Red's punching bags for, like, 50 yrs or so. Also, who cannot but like and respect the Mangenious?! I really like that guy, he's unpretentious and has done a helluva job with lesser talent. I'm still scratching my head at well KU did last year: all their guys looked slow to me, though they had some very good receivers.

That being said, I think their rout of the Huskers last year was somewhat flukey(the '07 Huskers being a huge anomaly) and I dont see them beating us in Lincoln this coming season. Sure, Reesing will be better, but I think Joey Ganz will be every bit as good and I think our D--though there are question marks-- will be playing with a vengeance this year. I still think we have more talent that KU, Lucky and Castille will be a force. I think the overall attitude of the team under Bo P will be, shall I say, FEARSOME!

Missouri is the 'class' of the north this year, having created some separation from the rest, and I probably fear CO, though I hate to admit it, more than I do KU.

Your point with CO is well taken. That said, I see the North shaping up in the order of MU, KU, CO and then the Huskers. This year though, while the Huskers will again trail each of its counterpoints mentioned above, they will be much, much closer to them. NU will improve a great deal this year --- yet given the strength of the conference will rise no higher than perhaps 7th or so in the conference overall (with OU, Texas and Texas Tech better in the south) --- and likely 4th in the north (with a shot at besting CO, maybe, but the edge is to the Buffs going in).

There is, of course, great enthusiasm in the Husker ranks --- as there should be --- but NU is starting way, way behind and has a huge mountain to climb --- it will take time, and I do not doubt that within 3 -4 years NU will be among the elite 3 or 4 in the conference --- but in the immediate future it would be more realistic to see a move up to say # 7 or # 6 in the conference --- expectation beyond and above that would be less than realistic. We do not like to consider this, but last year NU was, essentially, #10 in the Big 12 (maybe #11). Moving to #7 would be quite good and to #6 would be great.

Your point with CO is well taken. That said, I see the North shaping up in the order of MU, KU, CO and then the Huskers. This year though, while the Huskers will again trail each of its counterpoints mentioned above, they will be much, much closer to them. NU will improve a great deal this year --- yet given the strength of the conference will rise no higher than perhaps 7th or so in the conference overall (with OU, Texas and Texas Tech better in the south) --- and likely 4th in the north (with a shot at besting CO, maybe, but the edge is to the Buffs going in).

There is, of course, great enthusiasm in the Husker ranks --- as there should be --- but NU is starting way, way behind and has a huge mountain to climb --- it will take time, and I do not doubt that within 3 -4 years NU will be among the elite 3 or 4 in the conference --- but in the immediate future it would be more realistic to see a move up to say # 7 or # 6 in the conference --- expectation beyond and above that would be less than realistic. We do not like to consider this, but last year NU was, essentially, #10 in the Big 12 (maybe #11). Moving to #7 would be quite good and to #6 would be great.

I dont think there is as much of a 'mountain' to climb as you suggest. Our offense will be essentially the same in its approach since Watson is still there, and they have pretty much the same players except for Nunn and Purify, who really didnt do much last year anyway.

The D will have more obstacles since we were pretty gutted at LB and CB. The D line should be better and I think overall they will just play better with Bo as their coach.

Again, I think MO is the clear fav in the division, with KU maybe having a slight edge over NE. I see us as equal to CO and probably have the edge over KSU and ISU. The south division is a whole different can of worms--don't even want to go there, except to say OU will be a monster, and Michael Crabtree for TT will be unstoppable and the frontrunner for the Heisman, IMO. He's like Reggie Bush--playing WR.

k, zE out! :box

I continue to be amazed that many Husker fans think CU will be better than average this season. Hawkins has gone 2-10 and 6-7 so far and only the recruiting class arriving this fall has been better than average. NU only lost 65-51 in Boulder this past season, and led at the half, even with the terrible team/coaches we had in 07. Plus they lost the best players and leaders on their defense in Dizon and Wheatley. Maybe CU will have a breakout season this fall, but I just don't see it happening. They're still lacking depth at almost every position from the drop in recruiting over the previous few years. I think CU will be a 6-6 or 7-5 type of team this fall. By 2009 and 2010 they should finally have the depth necessary to be good.

I continue to be amazed that many Husker fans think CU will be better than average this season. Hawkins has gone 2-10 and 6-7 so far and only the recruiting class arriving this fall has been better than average. NU only lost 65-51 in Boulder this past season, and led at the half, even with the terrible team/coaches we had in 07. Plus they lost the best players and leaders on their defense in Dizon and Wheatley. Maybe CU will have a breakout season this fall, but I just don't see it happening. They're still lacking depth at almost every position from the drop in recruiting over the previous few years. I think CU will be a 6-6 or 7-5 type of team this fall. By 2009 and 2010 they should finally have the depth necessary to be good.

I agree that CU is a 6-6 or 7-5 team. But then again, that is as well where NU will be. And i also agree that CU is thin on depth. Then again so too is NU. But CU is two years into their rebuilding process and gaining steam. NU is in year one of rebuilding. So I see the NU/CU thing as a close toss-up --- and, if I had to lean one way as to who has an advantage, if any, logic (though not my heart for I love NU and despise CU), I'd say CU has the advantage. Nu could win against CU and it not be an "upset." If, on the other hand, NU were to beat KU or MU those would be major upsets. The pecking order in the North is MU then Ku then a big gap and then CU?NU closely packed.

Last year, CU beat OU which was a huge upset. If Nebraska beats KU or Mizzou, I don't think it will be looked upon as nearly as big of upset as CU's of OU was last year. I have faith that we will have a pretty decent season because a lot of our tough games are at home. I have to think we will play some kind of spoiler this year considering the big name teams we have coming to Lincoln this year. We only have 4 away games this year, and I have faith we will win 50% of those. All the rest are going to be played at our house. I realize the schedule is tough, but at least we're playing most of them in our backyard.

We've been playing Kansas for 400 years? :dunno Damn I knew the years were flying by now ...........but \

what the HELL!!!!!!!! <_<

yep, nebraska and kansas have been playin since before there was a nebraska or kansas, or the nation for that matter lol

Excellent reply... I agree about CU... No one can question our schedule. We take on the very best, and if we win it will shut up all the haters... JUST WIN RED!!

i don't see why people say KU is a 1 year wonder bc they have a great coach but i still think we'll win bc the D will hopefully be back

I agree and would add that the idea of 'a one year wonder' is more and more going to be a fading concept in that all the historically weak programs that have been emerging as competitors the last five years or so--the Wakes, Rutgers, USF's, Cinci's, Boise St.'s etc(the list is growing by leaps and bounds)--will continue to establish themselves as 'valid' teams. I don't know about you guys, but, for me, last season was the hardest it's ever been for me to fill out my weekly top 25 fan polls. I mean, I had a pretty clear sense of the top 3-4 teams--LSU, USC--ok, the top two, but from 5-25 it many times looked like a toss up. In fact, teams 26-30 didn't look so bad either.

CFB is just different these days, there are more excellent coaches across the board and great h.s. players coming up to fill roles in all schools. More and more colleges are building state of the art facilities to compete with the big boys. It's getting harder for tradtional powers to stockpile ALL the great talent that is out there and the best players and JUCOS are around for fewer years. By the time you've developed a championship level team, you gotta rebuild the thing all over again every 3-4 years.

It is also pretty clear that the spread offensives have delivered what they were designed to do: level the playing field. Personally, this is bad news for me since I much prefer the old fashioned smash mouth thing(mix in a healthy passing attack). I get tired of watching TTech and now MO, and all the others, pass, pass, passing it all over the place; it's an annoying brand of FB, but no doubt is here to stay, in fact is quickly becoming the norm.

NE has taken a big hit in it's rep over the past7-8 years and I especially fear the damage done from '07. I view the upcoming '08 season with more trepidation than I can ever remember in my 45 yrs of Big Red fanaticism. I see NE as the clear fav vs SJSU, NMSU, and probably Baylor, but that's about it. The other games will all be struggles. It's not that I don't think BO P will do an excellent job, it's just that I don't think other teams fear us much anymore, especially after last year.

So, for the Huskers to get back on top, as in the days of 'yore' is no small task and I really think hinges on what BO is able to accomplish. If he 'fails' it becomes harder for me to visualize the return of NE to perennial dominance: they'll be just another school in the middle of the pack.

OK, maybe that's too much doom and gloom, but I don't think it's too far off the mark. I mean, I've been out here following the Celtics for the past 10 years, they've been horrible, but suddenly this year they put a good team together. But does this translate into the return of Celtic dominance? I doubt it.

So, I guess I'm playing the parity card here and as far as I can see it is a real phenomenon in CFB. The good news is I think BO is just the right guy to restore the order at NE, but I think the days of having easy schedules is over--for all teams. There's just going to be 6-8 teams on anyone's schedule that can do some damage. :restore