SIGNED: LB Chris Williams

According to Rivals he only tore his ACL... Is this right?

If so i would think he could be back some time next year?

That would be nice, though I think he redshirts no matter what. Being able to practice will ensure he is developed enough to contribute the next year.

If it wasn't for the injury, do you think he would have still been redshirted? The reason I ask is because I think we redshirted all our of 2008's LBs commits, right?

According to Rivals he only tore his ACL... Is this right?

If so i would think he could be back some time next year?

That would be nice, though I think he redshirts no matter what. Being able to practice will ensure he is developed enough to contribute the next year.

If it wasn't for the injury, do you think he would have still been redshirted? The reason I ask is because I think we redshirted all our of 2008's LBs commits, right?

Yes I think he would have to redshirt still. I think you will see Bo do more of what he did this year, redshirt on purpose to build depth. Also read in this post that while he is a big hitter and moves well, he needs work in coverage technique. Have to be able to cover as a LB versus all of the Big XII offenses these days.

I dont know, because of his talent I wouldnt have been surprised if nebraska would have played him right out

I wonder if having a chance to contribute right away was something he considered when chosing NU, or if the coaches told him he would have to improve in the areas mentioned above before he would get a shot :dunno

From the OWH:

To update one recruiting matter, star linebacker commit Chris Williams of Abilene, Texas, underwent knee surgery Thursday to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus.

Abilene coach Steve Warren said his wife, who works in the medical industry, was in the operating room with Williams and called minutes after the procedure to report that it went well.

"Just your normal knee surgery," Warren said. "Fixed him up. He's doing well."

Williams was hurt this month when he hit his leg on a cement curb away from the playing field after tripping on the down-and-distance chain. The defensive player of the year as a junior in Texas' largest class of high school football, Williams is considered a gem among Nebraska's 16 pledges.

Despite the injury, Williams remains excited about heading to Lincoln, his coach said. The feeling is mutual at Nebraska.

"I talked to Barney (Cotton) right after they beat Kansas," Warren said. "It sounded like he was calling me from the locker room. I don't think there's any doubt that they feel really good about the direction they have things going. They seem to have momentum in the recruiting area.

Abilene lost in the first round of the 5A playoffs without Williams.

"He struggled with it a little bit," Warren said. "I think that's the first time he's ever had to sit over on the sidelines and watch his team play. He doesn't like it all. He's a competitor."

• 3 weeks later...

Chris was on Big Red Wrap-up tonight and gave the following info. Surgery was Nov. 22 and successful. Using crutches of course now, and will until New Years(six weeks of no weight bearing). His doctor is familiar with our medical staff and vice versa. Both were very supportive of each other. Chris plans to begin rehab in January and hopefully will be in Lincoln two months before preseason camp to continue to work with our staff. Both Crabtree and Sean Callahan expect him to continue to be a force after the injury.

Chris was on Big Red Wrap-up tonight and gave the following info. Surgery was Nov. 22 and successful. Using crutches of course now, and will until New Years(six weeks of no weight bearing). His doctor is familiar with our medical staff and vice versa. Both were very supportive of each other. Chris plans to begin rehab in January and hopefully will be in Lincoln two months before preseason camp to continue to work with our staff. Both Crabtree and Sean Callahan expect him to continue to be a force after the injury.

Thanks for the update Red Storm Brewing. I like the make up of this kid, pure competitor. You don't pull off that many tackles like he did without talent and DESIRE. Hopefully he takes that same desire and determination into his rehab and comes back as a better player in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

From Husker Journal:

DECEMBER 28, 2008. PREP STAR

CHRIS WILLIAMS, 6-0, 230, 4.5, ABILINE, TEXAS

Nebraska commit enjoyed visit

“It was a surprise, a total surprise. I just needed to get my trips going and it turned out to be the right place. I like the tradition at Nebraska, I’ve been to other places it was just the right place.” Williams said, “I went to the Missouri game so it was not like I saw them beat up on somebody.”

Game Time

“The environment, if you play football I don’t see how you can take your visit there (Nebraska) and not want to go there.” Williams said

“Everybody has nice facilities but there are one of the top schools in the Big 12 in graduating. It’s a lot more important than how nice the weight room is.” Williams added

Bo

“Bo was a big factor. I had a chance to go to LSU but, you obviously see with him gone their defense isn’t the same, they (LSU) are playing the same defense, but without him scheming each week it’s pointless.” Williams said

“I got to talk to Bo and Coach Osborne. He (Bo) wasn’t a coach that wanted me to commit, commit, commit he wanted me to make the right decision for me. That’s what I really respected about him. The guys got a good resume and a hell of a coach.” Williams said

Osborne

“No way to explain him (T.O.) a well respected guy. He talked to me about the tradition at Nebraska.”Williams said

“I was their (Nebraska) number one guy,” Williams said. “I know the program is headed in the right direction. He (Bo) will definitely turn the program around.” Williams said

“They did say I would have get a chance to play early but I don’t know how it’s going to work out.” Williams said, “Just go down and see what happens.”