Hand out some Blackshirts...it is time!!

And thank you for being ignorant to the conferences...you act like NMSU plays in a defensive-oriented conference...quite the opposite...look at the defensive stats of EVERYONE they played last year...sadly, they were all better than Nebraska's, but suddenly you can vault us above all that in three games, good for you.

you still haven't responded to Auburn.

What is wrong with Auburn's SEC tough d?

Yeah, the same team that barely beat a terrible KSU team, lost to a disappointing S. Florida team, and THEN lost to an awful Mississippi State team...at home...and then played NMSU. But yeah, they were good. <_<

The defense is looking better. They are improving. Va Tech is in 2 weeks. Now seems like a good time as any.

Besides, how are you to support the Blackshirts if they arent the Blackshirts?

I didn't say they aren't improving...they just aren't blackshirts yet.

Hey Foppa, my reply was not directed to your comments. It was a general post to the topic. Trust me, I know what you're saying. And I hear ya.

If they are awarded, I'm cool with that. If not, it's no biggie. They have a ways to go and they are improving. VaTech will be a better test coming up. For a senior like Ty Steinkuhler though, I think he's been playing lights out this year. He's definitely tuned in and stepped up his game a lot. He's been a consistent force inside, strong, quick, and powerful. He gets doubled teamed a lot and still penetrates the line.

I'm perfectly willing to let Bo decide when, or if, he will award them. In the past it was sort of a given....if you were a starter, you were a blackshirt, end of story..it became routine, expected. I like the fact Coach is trying to make it something special again. But it has to go to the team, not individuals....that would be like handing out buckeyes, imho.

Personally, I don't think they should be handed out now. We have to prove we can consistently do this, and the fact that it isn't against the greatest teams doesn't help their case. Plus, awarding them in the middle of the season is difficult, because you want to both reward them for a good performance and also make sure we don't get pummeled the next week (eg, after Virginia Tech = dangerous).

But anyway, while i don't know when Bo should, the idea of handing them out individually is absolutely ridiculous. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of playing like blackshirts? There are 11 guys out there playing defense, it only takes 1 to mess up and cost us a huge TD or even the game. Last year, we had a few guys that played like Blackshirts. Cortney Grixby comes to mind, while he wasn't the most athletically gifted, he gave it everything he had and showed 5x the heart that anyone else on that defense did. When we get a team that plays that hard and starts to shut down opposing teams, then its time. If you can't think of a solid reason to give every one of the starters a blackshirt, then it shouldn't be done.

I'm perfectly willing to let Bo decide when, or if, he will award them. In the past it was sort of a given....if you were a starter, you were a blackshirt, end of story..it became routine, expected. I like the fact Coach is trying to make it something special again. But it has to go to the team, not individuals....that would be like handing out buckeyes, imho.

I like what you said. But that last part.. that was hilarious! :lol:

Maybe we can put some corn on the helmets!!! (Not really)

:corndance:corndance:corndance

The idea of the blackshirts has been lost for the last few years. The idea of them was to defin who the starters were right. But now it has become a status symbol of who the best players are. Well as of now we dont know who the best players are and there hasnt been any consistancy. The idea of what the blackshirts stood for (fear) is gone. No one fears this team, at least not anymore. When a defence such as ours last year put up such horrible numbers im not so sure there is a reason to hand those out. I believe that when bo has a formitable foe (ergo) someone in the big 12 i believe win or loose he will hand out the blackshirts. Thats why i look for him to hand them out after the Missouri game. Even if we loose but they try dam hard i think hell hand them out.

Ben

I think Bo hands them out. The defense really was disruptive tonight. They really showed some heart when NMSU was on the 2 yd line and we were able to back them up, even after two penalties and then get the pick. They never gave up, last years defense would have rolled over and Mckeon would have layed out the red carpet for them to walk into the endzone.

That was total f***en BS. Two pass interference calls, total BS. I was hittin the walls. But hey the Huskers won, so. :bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

from where i was sitting (north end zone) and watching the replays, those pass interference calls that you are talking about, were good calls. the NU defender on one play had ahold for the reciever with one arm while putting the other arm in front to knock away the pass. the other play the NU defender made contact with the reciever long before the ball got there.

the only call that was questionable was when the pass appeared to be uncatchable.

You don't know that. USC looked pretty damn amazing tonight. Let them beat VT. If its dominating, hand them out. Don't reward punishing a lower level WAC team.

where is USC located? How easy is it to recruit there? and even then, what about Ohio State's offense tonight would you say was actually difficult to stop?

We are in Nebraska, we don't have a defense full of a couple 4 and mainly 5 star guys.. no matter what that means, they are athletes... we have to bring in kids, coach them up, and get them to play over their potential....

and yet again i'll ask you.. what is there about Va Tech's offense that is so deserving of blackshirts if we stop them that there isn't about NMSU's???

Ah so you are conceding the fact that NU cannot possibly compete with the very best??? We should be happy with dominating the lower levels and conceding the fact that NU cannot possibly be the very best again?

And Vt provides a victory against a legit opponent (tell me the last BCS bowl NMSU played) in a legit conference before a a tough game against MU. Blackshirts awarded before MU where they could very reaistically hang 45 on us is tantamount to window dressing.

Ah so you are conceding the fact that NU cannot possibly compete with the very best??? We should be happy with dominating the lower levels and conceding the fact that NU cannot possibly be the very best again?

And Vt provides a victory against a legit opponent (tell me the last BCS bowl NMSU played) in a legit conference before a a tough game against MU. Blackshirts awarded before MU where they could very reaistically hang 45 on us is tantamount to window dressing.

i'm conceding the fact that it is impossible to recruit to nebraska like it is to recruit to USC.. if you don't believe that, you really are sippin on the :koolaid2: .... seriously, that doesn't mean we can't be great, by any means. What i said is what i said, we aren't going to have the dominating defenses that we had in the 90's. Just not realistic with the state of college football anymore.

Parity = No more dominance.

If you can't see that, then i'm sorry. Maybe you could take a look at the scores in college football for the past 2 years. I don't care WHO you can hold to 7 points (shut out if you think about it) thats a very legit accomplishment. They played very well, and i don't care if it was the worst FCS team out there, we won, the D played very well. That's the way its going to have to be.

And what if we beat Va Tech? What if the score is 37-34? We still get the shirts? we proved we can beat a 'legit opponent' in a 'legit conference'... before a tough game against MU... come on, who cares? It's about HOW the defense plays, not about WHO they play... the Blackshirts are symbols. Symbols that mark the 1st string defensive players. Don't mention the BS thats what Cosgrove did, because ya know what? They have always been given out before the season. Up until Bo.

It is Bo's team not ours. He makes the choices. My guess he wants to see them against real competition. He knows they quit last year. He wants to see them take that first hit in the mouth and see what happens. He knows his leaders, but the rest are questionable is my guess.

There may not be black shirts this year. Really no big deal. You play the game to win, not for a stinken shirt. Do your job to the level the coach demands and you will have your shirt, if not do it till you can have a shirt. They need to be earned, and most of all appreciated. They are an honor, and a traditon that has been disgraced. There is no reason to rush back to it. Proof is in the pudding. Bo knows.