Joe Ganz

Funny this discussion was brought about because I read/post on this big board about the nfl draft and a lot of guys think they know their stuff on there. Anyway thought I would share that Ganz is considered, by at least a few posters over there, that he's a good sleeper. One guy even said that he'd take Ganz over Daniel any day. Do I think he can make an nfl roster? No, just passing fun info.

By the Way, do I think he can make a practice squad in the nfl? He possibly could. :)

I ask you to watch the trouble he has with the short passes. He often times guns the ball in there when the dude is like 3 yards away. it is the one part of the game that I still dont understand what he is thinking.

So...maybe callahan is right...he is a product of the system. NAH. Callaclown was never right.

Sorry Joe, but just like Eric Crouch, maybe an offer at another position, but not much more than that...

I have to disagree. Crouch was much more of an athlete playing QB than a pure QB, and Ganz is much more of a pure QB. Don't get me wrong, Ganz is not a bad athlete, but I think for him it's QB or nothing.

Ganz is 6'1" and 210, the average NFL QB is 6'3" 215 so I don't necessarily buy the too small argument. His arm strength is fine, no he can't throw with the big guns of the NFL, but he certainly has enough on the ball to be productive. As far as the touch passes, how many times is he asked to throw em? According to Pelini the middle screen to Lucky against BU was the first one they'd thrown this year. Anyway that's something that can be coached and taught. And there's no doubt he's football smart, so there's no issue there. Having said all that, who knows if he'll find a niche in the NFL, I hope he does. I think he will definitely get some looks though.

The league is huge on measureables. I see 1 potential QB playing on Sundays in this conference, Freeman. Harrell may get a shot but all the QBs in this league run out of the shotgun formation the vast majority of the time except Freeman/Bradford QB. Imagine the look on the face of Daniels/McCoy/Harrel/Etc. when they get into an NFL camp and have to take the majority of snaps from under center.

The point is moot anyways, don't the vast majority of NFL squads only have 2 QBs on their active rosters? I know the Broncos have been doing this for years, but I don't follow the NFL and haven't watched a regular game in a long time. It's very hard to make it to the NFL as a QB.

Iowa State has the most QB's in the league right now! :o That Dan McCartney sure could develop NFL QBs up there in Ames.

The league is huge on measureables. I see 1 potential QB playing on Sundays in this conference, Freeman. Harrell may get a shot but all the QBs in this league run out of the shotgun formation the vast majority of the time except Freeman/Bradford QB. Imagine the look on the face of Daniels/McCoy/Harrel/Etc. when they get into an NFL camp and have to take the majority of snaps from under center.

The point is moot anyways, don't the vast majority of NFL squads only have 2 QBs on their active rosters? I know the Broncos have been doing this for years, but I don't follow the NFL and haven't watched a regular game in a long time. It's very hard to make it to the NFL as a QB.

Iowa State has the most QB's in the league right now! :o That Dan McCartney sure could develop NFL QBs up there in Ames.

I would say you are right for the most part. Especially on the NFL and measurables. But alot of teams have adapted to some of the college traits. The Jets for one last I saw were on pace to run more than 50% of their snaps from shotgun. Last year the Pats ran almost 80% of their snaps from shotgun. The Dolphins, Jets, Saints, Rams, Chiefs, Redskins, Lions, Ravens, Pats and Colts are all running "spread" offensive plays. (Maybe more teams are, but those are they one's i have seen with my eyes.)

Most nfl teams carry 3 QB's, only 4 carry 2 (broncos, texans, colts and jags). More NFL teams have 4 QB's on their roster/practices squad than those that have 2.

I would guarentee you that those who have hopes of playing in the NFL, Daniel, Harrel, McCoy, Bradford, etc. will be taking snaps from under center once the season is over. They will have taken 1000's of snap and dropsbacks by the time the combine and workouts take place. Any more most colleges run the majority of snaps from shotgun. So this is pretty over rated

Sorry Joe, but just like Eric Crouch, maybe an offer at another position, but not much more than that...

I have to disagree. Crouch was much more of an athlete playing QB than a pure QB, and Ganz is much more of a pure QB. Don't get me wrong, Ganz is not a bad athlete, but I think for him it's QB or nothing.

Then I hate to say it, but it's probably nothing.

The one thing Ganz has going for him is his 10 to 15 yard out route. (The same throw that Taylor seemed to lose at the end of his run here) He can put that sucker on a line when he needs too, and NFL types LOVE that! He can do it on the run as well, which is also a plus.

That being said I won't hold my breath for a starting spot. But then again look at Seneca Wallace. Are you telling me he is light years ahead of Ganz in the passing department? I don't think so.

Hey, anything can happen! I hope he at least spends a few years in the league, even if it's only 3rd string job. A paycheck is a paycheck!

You're kidding me, right?

No, absolutely not. He isn't playing in the NFL. He can't make the throws. I don't know how you think he has the arm strength to beat an NFL safety in 2 deep zone on a flag route. No way.

Joe Montana didn't have a great arm, but he was above average IN COLLEGE. Ganz isn't even that. You don't have to have Brett Favre's fastball to be great, but you have to have above average arm strength.

Too many great QBs this year. Mizzou's backup is a better prospect, and Josh Freeman is a prospect scouts are drooling over.

Daniel will get a shot, why wouldn't you give him one. Late rounder though, if its even a draft pick.

Cassell backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC. They both won the Heisman trophy that year. For all we know he was the 3rd best QB in the country at that time. That "never started since HS" argument doesn't hold water.

:bs:

You can't make blanket statements like 'Joe Ganz has 0% chance of playing in the NFL' or 'No, absolutely not'. True enough collegiate success doesn't necessarily translate to the next level, but give me something concrete, something tangible as to why Joe is completely non NFL material....ya can't! we won't know untill we know. As it stands now there's nothing obvious that precludes Ganz from getting a shot. Brad Johnson is making his second start for the cowgirls this week for chrissakes. Wouldn't it be great if we had a big time NFL qb like Brad starting for us tomorrow? Not.

:bs:

You can't make blanket statements like 'Joe Ganz has 0% chance of playing in the NFL' or 'No, absolutely not'. True enough collegiate success doesn't necessarily translate to the next level, but give me something concrete, something tangible as to why Joe is completely non NFL material....ya can't! we won't know untill we know. As it stands now there's nothing obvious that precludes Ganz from getting a shot. Brad Johnson is making his second start for the cowgirls this week for chrissakes. Wouldn't it be great if we had a big time NFL qb like Brad starting for us tomorrow? Not.

If Ganz plays 17 years in the NFL passes for over 28,000 yards and wins a Super Bowl like Brad Johnson come talk to me.

Here then compare Ganz to these former outstanding college QB's that never sniffed the NFL aside from maybe a year or two:

Zac Taylor (Big 12 Player of the Year)

Jason White (Heisman Winner)

Major Applewhite (All Big 12)

Josh Heupel (2nd in Heisman All Big 12)

BJ Symons (5000 freaking yards and 52 TD)

Cody Hodges (Senior year stats were just as good if not better then Ganz)

Charlie Ward (I know he played BB but he wasn't even drafted. 2 sport athletes were drafted before and after him so don't use that one) :ahhhhhhhh

Sure Ganz my get an invite but what concrete tangible evidence do you have that says he will stick? Give me some of that before you start to discredit the people that don’t think he will make it. :dunno

Just because like Ganz doesn't mean any NFL team is going to give him a chance. It doesn't no matter how bad we want them to. For the record Ganz is probably not even in the Top 15-20 QB prospects that will be coming out this year.

Since you asked:

Makes some questionable decisions especially under pressure

Locks in a single receiver a lot of the time

Holds onto the ball to long

Questionable mobility

Questionable Arm Strength

Hasn’t proven he can make a lot of “NFL” throws

Has defeated NOBODY

Lack of experience

Tape Measure stats

Forces issue on some throws

Better on roll outs then inside pocket (how many NFL teams roll out that much?)

The good:

Natural leader

Smart

Knows offense inside and out

Makes checks at line

Gamer

I think if Ganz could have been at least a 2 year starter he could have developed into a draft-worthy QB.

I think too much is made of physical stats. Football is a game that requires a mastery of a wide range of skills, both physical and mental. Flat out speed, strength, and physical stature only get you so far. There are a lot of intangibles to being a good player, not just being a natural athlete.

Ganz is a good football player who hasn't been given enough of an opportunity to polish off his skill set. He made a lot of rookie mistakes earlier this year, but he's really settled down. Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

I think if Ganz could have been at least a 2 year starter he could have developed into a draft-worthy QB.

I think too much is made of physical stats. Football is a game that requires a mastery of a wide range of skills, both physical and mental. Flat out speed, strength, and physical stature only get you so far. There are a lot of intangibles to being a good player, not just being a natural athlete.

Ganz is a good football player who hasn't been given enough of an opportunity to polish off his skill set. He made a lot of rookie mistakes earlier this year, but he's really settled down. Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

Yeah, I wish we had him one or two more years. I think he could have been pretty damn good (not that he isn't good).