Minority Football Coaches

CENTEXHUSKER

Link

And then there were four.

That's the number of black head coaches who are guaranteed Football Bowl Subdivision (i.e., Division I-A) jobs for 2009 after Kansas State and Washington have announced that Ron Prince and Tyrone Willingham won't return next season.

Buffalo coach Turner Gill could be ready to move to a "Big Six" conference.

That leaves Buffalo's Turner Gill, Houston's Kevin Sumlin, Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom and Miami's Randy Shannon as the only black coaches in the 120-team FBS ranks. If that number stands, it will mark the first time big-time college football has had just four black coaches since 2003. (It's worth noting that offensive coordinator Joker Phillips is in line to take over as coach at Kentucky when Rich Brooks retires.)

That's an embarrassment.

Every school conducting a search should receive pressure to thoroughly consider a black coach. The NFL has the "Rooney Rule," which mandates that teams interview minority candidates for a head coaching job. If they don't, the teams can be fined.

Unfortunately, the NCAA only can encourage schools to interview black coaches. The organization has no authority to punish schools that don't interview minorities. Therein is the problem.

Currently, there are openings at Syracuse, Washington, Utah State, Toledo, Tennessee and Clemson. There also could be openings at Wyoming and San Diego State, among other schools.

The black coach who seems best-positioned to claim a "Big Six" job is Gill, who is in his third season at Buffalo. He has led the Bulls to a 6-4 mark and currently sits in first place in the MAC East. Gill, 46, led Buffalo to a 5-7 record in 2007, including a 5-3 mark in league play. He seems primed for a greater challenge. Would, say, Syracuse and Kansas State consider Gill, a former Nebraska quarterback? Either place seems like a good fit for Gill's skill set.

Ted Gilmore is a black assistant who is ready to become a head coach. He currently is the assistant head coach/receivers coach at Nebraska. Gilmore would be a perfect fit at Wyoming, a job that likely will open. Gilmore, 41, played at Wyoming (1988-89) and served as a Cowboys assistant (1994-98). He also has served on staffs at Kansas, Houston, Purdue and Colorado. It's vital that whoever gets the Wyoming job has an intimate knowledge of the school and the obstacles that must be overcome. It isn't an easy place to win. Since Joe Tiller left after the 1996 season, Dana Dimel and Vic Koenning have come and gone, and Joe Glenn is next to leave.

UCLA defensive coordinator Dewayne Walker is another black assistant who figures to be on Wyoming's radar. He consistently coordinates some of the best defenses in America.

And keep an eye on Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who has coached at Wyoming and has an impressive résumé that also includes stints at USC and Iowa State and in the NFL with the Cardinals, Buccaneers, Redskins and Patriots.

Other black assistants who should be on the radar:

James Franklin, Maryland offensive coordinator. In his first season back in College Park, he has brought stability to what was an inconsistent Terps attack. Some feel Franklin may be getting groomed to one day take over for Ralph Friedgen.

Mike Locksley, Illinois offensive coordinator. The Illini are struggling, but it isn't because of Locksley's offense.

Jay Norvell, Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator. His résumé includes stops in the NFL (Colts and Raiders) along with jobs in the college ranks at places such as UCLA, Nebraska, Iowa State and Wisconsin.

Why does everything have to be turned into something racial. Willingham has been a complete failure at Washington. What are they supposed to do keep him around just because he's black? Ron Prince didn't do squat while at KState. If these two coaches were white, we wouldn't even be talking about this. I'm sure there are very capable black coaches out there. I just think it's a travesty when a black coach gets fired because he can't win games and people get all up in arms over it. If Gill was hired by NU and had the success Willingham has had at Washington, I would hope we could fire him without the backlash. So far, the resume of black HC's hasn't been that stellar. Art Shell wasn't any good. Crennel at Cleveland hasn't exactly set the world on fire either. Dennis Green, not a good coach. Tony Dungy has been an exception, but then again he was sacked at Tampa Bay. I think Mike Tomlin will prove to be a very good coach, but there just hasn't been many with much success. Coaches should be hired and fired based on merit and performance rather than race. As long as there continues to be as much fuss about color, we're probably going to see more and more schools look away from black coaches for fear of the backlash if they don't pan out.

Why does everything have to be turned into something racial. Willingham has been a complete failure at Washington. What are they supposed to do keep him around just because he's black? Ron Prince didn't do squat while at KState. If these two coaches were white, we wouldn't even be talking about this. I'm sure there are very capable black coaches out there. I just think it's a travesty when a black coach gets fired because he can't win games and people get all up in arms over it. If Gill was hired by NU and had the success Willingham has had at Washington, I would hope we could fire him without the backlash. So far, the resume of black HC's hasn't been that stellar. Art Shell wasn't any good. Crennel at Cleveland hasn't exactly set the world on fire either. Dennis Green, not a good coach. Tony Dungy has been an exception, but then again he was sacked at Tampa Bay. I think Mike Tomlin will prove to be a very good coach, but there just hasn't been many with much success. Coaches should be hired and fired based on merit and performance rather than race. As long as there continues to be as much fuss about color, we're probably going to see more and more schools look away from black coaches for fear of the backlash if they don't pan out.

If you don’t think there is a hiring problem then you are crazy. Come on man there are only 4 minority Head Coaches out of 119 schools or 3% that is terrible. You rambled off all of these minority coaches that failed, just think of all the white guys that have failed and still get recycled through the ranks. Charlie Weis has failed at ND just as bad as Willingham did while he was there yet he is still safe. How does that work?

Sure in a perfect world places would hire coaches off of merit but this is far from a perfect world and until things change this will always be brought up. I don’t think people are up in arms that Willingham and Prince were fired, because they did deserve it, they are up in arms because of the low percentage of minority Head Coaches. Racism is a problem even if it doesn’t affect you personally. It is easy for us on the sidelines to say that it isn’t an issue, but look at the stats it shows that it is a glaring one.

For what it is worth I hope Norvell and Gilmore both get jobs as Head Coaches and I hope Turner keeps moving up in the ranks and it isn’t because they are minority coaches, it is because they deserve it.

For the record both Art Shell (56-52) and Dennis Green (113-94) have career winning records in the NFL. Shells teams made the playoffs 3 of his 7 years and Greens teams made it 8 out of 13 years. I just figured I would point those things out since you said they both stunk as coaches.

The issue isnt so much racism now, as it was 20 or 30 years ago, when most men who are currently becoming head coaches got started in the business. There are more and more minority assistants and OCs and DCs now than ever before. Experience isnt something that comes overnight.

And for what its worth, that article can be called a bit racist. It only focuses on black head coaches and not minorities, Navy for instance has Ken Niumatalolo.

If you don’t think there is a hiring problem then you are crazy. Come on man there are only 4 minority Head Coaches out of 119 schools or 3% that is terrible. You rambled off all of these minority coaches that failed, just think of all the white guys that have failed and still get recycled through the ranks. Charlie Weis has failed at ND just as bad as Willingham did while he was there yet he is still safe. How does that work?

Sure in a perfect world places would hire coaches off of merit but this is far from a perfect world and until things change this will always be brought up. I don’t think people are up in arms that Willingham and Prince were fired, because they did deserve it, they are up in arms because of the low percentage of minority Head Coaches. Racism is a problem even if it doesn’t affect you personally. It is easy for us on the sidelines to say that it isn’t an issue, but look at the stats it shows that it is a glaring one.

For what it is worth I hope Norvell and Gilmore both get jobs as Head Coaches and I hope Turner keeps moving up in the ranks and it isn’t because they are minority coaches, it is because they deserve it.

For the record both Art Shell (56-52) and Dennis Green (113-94) have career winning records in the NFL. Shells teams made the playoffs 3 of his 7 years and Greens teams made it 8 out of 13 years. I just figured I would point those things out since you said they both stunk as coaches.

Oh for crying out loud, we just elected a black man to take the highest position in the world. Yes, he was elected by the people of the U.S. Don't give me this racism crap when we the people just elected a black man over a white man for the highest position in the world.

For the record, Marty Schottenheimer (sp) was fired after having the best or one of the best records in the NFL. I just figured I'd point this out to you.

Racism works both ways. I have a friend who graduated UNL with a 3.9 GPA. He was passed over for pharmacy school twice so a minority with a 3.0 GPA could take his place because of the way the rules and regs are with regards to minorities. I don't see anyone crying fould because the NBA isn't filled with more whites. We've come far enough as a country that those who produce flourish, and those who don't perish. If Tony Dungy decided to move on from Indy, there'd be teams lined up to hire him. They wouldn't hire him based on his race. They'd hire him because he has been a winner. If Mike Singletary turns the 49ers around, it will be the same deal. Race only becomes an issue when people want to make one.

ok, ok.....now that No-bama is the President elect, once he takes office i suppose he could issue a Presidential mandate to satisfy more head coaching positions for blacks, eh?

this is the result of stupidity.......you rate the man as a potential coach by his ability, not the color of his skin.....now that we have a black President do we need to see quotas for other leadership positions and enforce them as well?..........just plain stupid.

I'm going to have to agree with some junior4949. How many minorities are applying for HC jobs and not getting an interview? Do we know that? That's a more telling tale. The people who only look at the overall percentage of minority coaches without taking *the whole picture* into account are short-sighted and unintelligent. Provide the rest of the statistics and then you have a case, if you don't you are just as racist as everyone else. Those who dwell on racism the most are the most racist.

Oh for crying out loud, we just elected a black man to take the highest position in the world. Yes, he was elected by the people of the U.S. Don't give me this racism crap when we the people just elected a black man over a white man for the highest position in the world.

For the record, Marty Schottenheimer (sp) was fired after having the best or one of the best records in the NFL. I just figured I'd point this out to you.

Racism works both ways. I have a friend who graduated UNL with a 3.9 GPA. He was passed over for pharmacy school twice so a minority with a 3.0 GPA could take his place because of the way the rules and regs are with regards to minorities. I don't see anyone crying fould because the NBA isn't filled with more whites. We've come far enough as a country that those who produce flourish, and those who don't perish. If Tony Dungy decided to move on from Indy, there'd be teams lined up to hire him. They wouldn't hire him based on his race. They'd hire him because he has been a winner. If Mike Singletary turns the 49ers around, it will be the same deal. Race only becomes an issue when people want to make one.

AMEN to that.

Who is this guy who says it's "an embarassment"??

Schools will take their best option at head coach. They shouldn't be required to interview anyone they don't want to. These affirmative action deals don't help anyone; they just make everything shi**y

Why should teams be required to interview minorities? What if there are absolutely no minority coaches you are interested in? The thought that just because you don't interview any minority coaches means you are biased against them is so completely ridiculous. They shouldn't be required to do anything, especially hire. If an AD seriously wants to hire an inferior white coach instead of a minority then, wow, there are remarkable consequences for that AD by doing that. I really doubt anybody would turn down someone superior just because of race, and if there are ADs who do it, it's probably not a good school to be at, anyway.