Dirty/Illegal hits?

BigBL87

The hit on Paul at at the end of the half was absolutely blatant and should have been called. In fact, I believe Niles may have been around the 10 and the ball landed in the end-zone (that much over thrown)....the DB actually had about 100 % chance to pick it off, as he began in the end zone, disregarded the ball and went straight for the helmet to helmet contact......"on a defensless WR", which is a penalty.... no question.....15 yd personal foul from the LOS, putting NU in fg range......not a spot foul.

The one on Ganz, I couldn't see well from my seats, but I believe that there is NO horse collar rule in college. This is only an NFL rule, so you are allowed to grab around neck of shoulder pads....legally..but a foremarm to the face should have been called, but I couldn't see it from where I was.

The NCAA and the Big 12 needs to take a serious look at some of the officiating and missed calls this year. I don't think there was a game this year that there wasn't a call that affected the game. The way it is right now, we are set up to have a debacle like the NBA had, where an official is going to get caught on the take, since there is no serious consequences for their actions anyway.

The hit on Paul at at the end of the half was absolutely blatant and should have been called. In fact, I believe Niles may have been around the 10 and the ball landed in the end-zone (that much over thrown)....the DB actually had about 100 % chance to pick it off, as he began in the end zone, disregarded the ball and went straight for the helmet to helmet contact......"on a defensless WR", which is a penalty.... no question.....15 yd personal foul from the LOS, putting NU in fg range......not a spot foul.

The one on Ganz, I couldn't see well from my seats, but I believe that there is NO horse collar rule in college. This is only an NFL rule, so you are allowed to grab around neck of shoulder pads....legally..but a foremarm to the face should have been called, but I couldn't see it from where I was.

Uh, I think there is a horse collar rule that was just instated this year. :dunno

after all the helmet to helmet flags Potter et al, have received this year the play at the end of the half should have been flagged for sure...especially since Paul laid there and writhed for a few seconds which gave officials time to see it was a safety issue on a defenseless player.

the head tackle pissed me off too, but I can't stand how much they protect the QBs these days. I thought a no call was appropriate there. It's just that when Potter the Tree hits someone, he seems to get called everytime.

huskerprid:

I think you are correct. I was wrong on this one. It is banned in nfl and ncaa....announced on August 20, 2008 that ncaa banned it. Thanks for the clarification.

Someone should let the officials know. I watched a lot of football this weekend, saw plenty of horse collar tackles, and nary a flag.

What Ganz had was not a horse collar. A horse collar involves tackling a ball carrier from behind with a hand in the shoulderpads behind the neck. Ganz got tackled by his head, and as we all know, any head contact is off limits on a QB.

I could not believe they just stood there and did not call the helmet to helmet. It was so obvious he was being a complete pansy and hitting a defenseless WR. I am sure Bo gave these guys a poor grade as well. I really wish the commissioners would start holding these officials accountable. It is their job to keep the kids safe and they are not doing it. I don't care how fast the game is moving, get into position and make the call. I just don't see how that many people can not call that hit. It even looked like the DB was looking for the flag.....

I didn't get to watch the game (had to work, almost called in sick for the game!), but on another board someone mentioned that the safety that made the sack on Ganz to set up the huge FG (which was an illegal hit) had another cheap shot on Niles Paul, and one on Helu earlier in the game where he speared Helu. Anyone have the video of those two other hits or know where I could find them?

On another note...

Not having watched the game, how was the officiating overall?

Buy the dvd, it's worth it.

Well, that #12 LB(safety?)was making some big hits all day and I think was the guy who threw the cheap shot on Niles. But then I think #12 left the game early in the 4th(?) cuz he thru his head in there somewhere again and got a concussion.

I don't know who sacked Ganz but it looked like a head shot for sure. Ganz's head was snapping backward. Shoulda been called.

Officiating was ok, only those 2 miscalls stick out to me. If fact, NE played a pretty penalty free game if I recall correctly. And so did CU since they didn't call them on anything! lol

huskerprid:

I think you are correct. I was wrong on this one. It is banned in nfl and ncaa....announced on August 20, 2008 that ncaa banned it. Thanks for the clarification.

Someone should let the officials know. I watched a lot of football this weekend, saw plenty of horse collar tackles, and nary a flag.

Yea, agree, they are real inconsistent w it, as well as the new face mask rule.

huskerprid:

What Ganz had was not a horse collar. A horse collar involves tackling a ball carrier from behind with a hand in the shoulderpads behind the neck. Ganz got tackled by his head, and as we all know, any head contact is off limits on a QB.

I think I heard or read somewhere that if you got the neck of the shirt (hand inside the shirt) it was considered a horse collar also...