Did Bill Callahan sabotage the 2004 season?

As I have thought back many times about the 2004 season, I have asked myself, in seriousness, did Callahan sabotage the season?

First, what would have been his motive?

To show that there was inferior talent and that there would be "a lot" of rebuilding needed, buying himself several years and setting himself up to be a hero at the same time.

Remember, the very same was accused of him at Oakland by a number of players. Check out this statement from Wilkipedia:

"Despite the success of his 2002 team, the 2003 Raiders had a losing record. After his team got off to a 2-5 start, many of his players, in particular Charles Woodson, publicly demonized the coach, even suggesting that Callahan was deliberately trying to sabotage the season. Apparently, his accusations of strife and mutiny within the clubhouse were corroborated by others, including veteran receiver Tim Brown. Callahan, his supporters claim, had recognized that the team was aging and needed younger talent. To get it, he would have to cut existing salaries, an assertion that did not sit well with many of the team's veterans."

Think back about some of those games in 2004. There were a lot of times when running the football would have kept us in games, but instead Cally would chunk the ball. See Texas Tech, 70-10 as an example.

At the time, we all in the stands, Tech and NU fans alike, were asking "what is this guy doing?" At the time, I thought "he's just trying to install his offense." But as time as gone on, I really wonder if he was deliberately sabotaging the season for the aforementioned motive.

Am I way out of line here?

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse dedhoarse dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

You could be on to something. But you also have to realize the ego's of Tim Brown and Charles Woodson, they may have had an axe to grind. BC did some really stupid things that first year (trying to fit a square peg in a round hole) We had enough talent to be bowl eligible, we just didnt have the right talent to fit BC's system. Remember alot of players defected including our best receiver (Ross Pilkington). BC didnt have the attitude of "lets do the best with what i got" it was "My way or the high way even if we lose by 60". I dont want to say he sabatoged the season, but he definately wasnt there to win games. He was interested in himself. Good Ridance.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse dedhoarse dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

:point:corndance

I don't think Callahan sabotaged the '04 season...but I do think he had something to do with the worldwide economic downturn, increased fuel costs and loss of millions of jobs over his time as coach at Nebraska.

aaaand, environmental refugeeism!