QB Tyler Gabbert

Okay, so basically you are saying that Cotton is like every other kids father out there, dorky but means well. Yeah, kids dont want to come play for someone that like that. Your post is a mess! Every staff needs the "dorky everyman", they need the young guy, they need the bible thumper, they need the intense guy, they need the super serious guy, they need the "I have been there too" guy, you know why? Becuase they are recruiting ALL THOSE TYPES OF KIDS.

Secondly, can we please get over this "Saban wanted Watson so bad" garbage, no, Saban wanted an OC that he could TOTALLY CONTROL. He, like all of us have found out, knew that Watson would run anything he wanted told him to, just like he did at CU (GB pretty much called and ran the offense) and just like he did at NU, with the exception of one year, a year where he had a very good stable of RB's, TE's, Senior WR's and a Senior QB that improvised on 75% of the pass routes.

Saban is a control freak and wanted an OC that he could tell EXACLTY what he wanted done.

You want to debate it, sure, knock yourself out, start a thread. Hell, first do me a favor and pull up all of Watsons stats as an OC, see if you still want to start a thread. I am not saying Watson is bad, its just that he is wishy-washy.

This whole post is full of .. :facepalm:

Again, you want to debate this, create another thread and I will GLADLY talk about this.

--

In any case, Gabbert is gone. We figured out what the smell was!

Please do start a thread in the main forum.

I am in stl and surprised he is changing his commit. NU has green who didn't show a lot but more important is a different type of qb, mentioning to people here that the lack of talent at nu at the skill positions was a huge concern and the fact that they didn't have a real identity. not sure why he would go to mu where you would have to compete with your brother who is the real deal, again and franklin who is a very good prospect and a great qb already has committed to tigers for 2011. tyler didn't have talent to play with all thru HS and wants to be where he can have an abundance of wr's to throw it too, that is mu more than nu. If that is where he feels he should be, such is life.

BTW NU represented extremely well in the CCG, much more than I ever thought you would, congrats on a game that you truly won. Only the B12 commissioner and the BCS committee who gave the officials orders to make sure longhorns won made it so. don't you love it when they jsut make up the rules as they go along

but dudes, that O? wow, now that was some bad offensive football! I know carter and tg mentioned not wanting to be on a bad offense.

anyway recruits come and go, mu lost a good wr early but gained much better ones later, such is recruiting.

good luck in your bowl game! can't believe you didn't get a better game or time to play. that sucks.

mu was passed over for a 6-6 isu but who cares in these lesser bowls it is still a good location for recruiting in east tx.

BTW there is another gabbart son on the way, think he is 10.

I honostly think that we dropped Gabbert because we had someone else in mind. I just wish we would have waited until MU's class was full instead :D

I hope your right, because on the surface it sure makes BP and staff look VERY incompetent when it comes to recruiting offensive players.

It's usually the school who slow plays the kid, but around here it's the other way around.......

I honostly think that we dropped Gabbert because we had someone else in mind. I just wish we would have waited until MU's class was full instead :D

I hope your right, because on the surface it sure makes BP and staff look VERY incompetent when it comes to recruiting offensive players.

It's usually the school who slow plays the kid, but around here it's the other way around.......

bo apparently pulled his offer when he got tired of the kid jerking us around. you would think we'd have learned from the older brother, but better late than never.

bo apparently pulled his offer when he got tired of the kid jerking us around. you would think we'd have learned from the older brother, but better late than never.

2 completely different situations. Blaine had 2 options, stick with NU when he wasn't sure who the coaches would be and we just came off of a non-bowl season, or go sit behind a Heisman trophy finalist for one year for a team that was a top 10 team at the time.

I know people hate Blaine Gabbert for "de-committing", but I don't think you can blame hit one bit.

How did he jerk NU around? He committed months ago. What's he supposed to do, wear a hairshirt and crawl to Lincoln to show his faith?

Here's my opinion (and go ahead and bring it on):

1. A very poorly called offensive game.

2. The following day's article in the Omaha World Herald - DC yelling at the winning team over and over "You should be ashamed"... chants of "Cheaters".... Bo cussing out the Big 12 Commissioner. As soon as I read that I thought "That's gonna cost them some recruits".

His older brother didn't really do anything wrong, to be honest. Our coach got fired, and before that he was on his way to being fired while being drowned in a cesspool of negativity from the fans. Can you blame him? This is a lot worse.

Unless Wats is going/gone.

hmmmm...both brothers apparently recruited NU recruits to mizzou while supposedly committed to NU. i'll go ahead and take a pass on the next gabbert that comes along.

How did he jerk NU around? He committed months ago. What's he supposed to do, wear a hairshirt and crawl to Lincoln to show his faith?

i'd settle for him not flirting and visiting with other coaching staffs. you're either committed or your not. he committed so we shut down QB recruiting. months later he tries to walk a line that he's committed but just seeing mizzou on the side. that's been going on a lot longer than the game last weekend.

also, most kids like it when their coaches fight for them when they're getting screwed over.

(bonus points for the hair shirt comment though)

Here's my honest opinion based on my dad's years of hitting the recruiting trail:

Tyler is a pretty hot recruit in the region. NU probably had a QB scholly to offer and thought he would be better here than going to someone who we play. Not only that, but based on the style of play in the B12, QBs are often scrambling, improvising type players, in other words, he could be a great guy to have on the Scout Team to emulate our competition. As he developed and improved, by his Redshirt Sophomore year (3yrs to play 3), he could start to push for some starting role, provide stability as a solid backup, and increase competition in general. All the while, not really keeping us out of the running for a REAL quality starter, since the coaches could say, "We don't have any concrete starter, come here and push for the job (to a Blaine, Colt, or Bradford type)"....

You don't think coaches try to get guys to come just to keep them from our rivals? think again.

Don't think they recruit guys who could MAYBE someday play after 3-4 yrs in the system, but use them as quality practice material? think again.

Don't think coaches tell a kid to make up his mind so they can move forward or move on? think again.

Tyler may have been good here or not. I'm not that impressed by his height, arm strength, speed, or strength. Or his intangibles. He is a great competitor it sounds like, and a team like NU always needs those 2nd tier guys to be competing. I'm not too sad to lose this guy. Pluse, if he is wishy-washy--then Sionara.

That's all my personal opinion, mixed in with some first hand experience about what the recruiting biz is all about.

2. The following day's article in the Omaha World Herald - DC yelling at the winning team over and over "You should be ashamed"... chants of "Cheaters".... Bo cussing out the Big 12 Commissioner. As soon as I read that I thought "That's gonna cost them some recruits".

1. I really don't see how the Texas game plan would have indicated anything other than that we don't have the offensive talent to do what we did last year. Obviously this isn't what Bo or Watson wants the offense to look like. If you want to know what Watson's ideal offense looks like, then look at last year's offense. Carter and Gabbert were too busy looking at box scores to understand that.

2. That just doesn't make sense when you look at other fiery coaches who have never had problems getting recruits. According to your logic, nobody would ever have played for Bobby Knight. Plus, Bo's and Carl's players absolutely love them. If anything their style would drive away pansy recruits who only want people to tell them their sh!t smells like potpourri.

1. I really don't see how the Texas game plan would have indicated anything other than that we don't have the offensive talent to do what we did last year. Obviously this isn't what Bo or Watson wants the offense to look like. If you want to know what Watson's ideal offense looks like, then look at last year's offense. Carter and Gabbert were too busy looking at box scores to understand that.

2. That just doesn't make sense when you look at other fiery coaches who have never had problems getting recruits. According to your logic, nobody would ever have played for Bobby Knight. Plus, Bo's and Carl's players absolutely love them. If anything their style would drive away pansy recruits who only want people to tell them their sh!t smells like potpourri.

3. I have never heard Bo or Carl single out any one player or throw them under the bus for losing a heart breaking loss or an ass kickin'. May have said don't like the way they played (Colorado), but in the the really bad losses (MU and OU last season) they blamed themselves. Look at the way he acted after the V Tech Loss. He definately didn't blame O'Hanlon for the last play. If anythhing they very pasionately Protect their players, which in my eyes recruits would want to play for someone who is going to be the father figure, and a great teacher. Recruits always say that it feels like family or want the family type atmosphere.