DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Since we are all Nebraska fans and most of us have been around the culture and the pure awesomeness of Nebraska for a while now of course we see our school as being way better than the others. But you have to take this into consideration... Owa is 18 years old. When I was 18 years old looking at colleges what I looked for in a school was entirely different than what I would look for today. So here's what I'm saying. This kid is 18 years old and is looking at probably the biggest decision he has ever made in his life. He has the option of staying within a few hours of home, going to Oregon, starting all four years, being a superstar, having awesome Nike facilities, playing in a conference he is very familiar with that he probably believes to be really good (despite the fact that we all know it's not) and he probably says... man I can go to Oregon and get most of the same stuff I could get at Nebraska. He looks at UCLA and sees the weather, the women, the academic reputation that the school has nationally. He sees that UCLA is still pretty close to home (14hrs) and that he would still be in an area that was comfortable for him... west coast. He sees that there is a Nigerian community there. He knows he could be a star at UCLA and he knows that there are a lot of Hollywood stars, and NFL people in LA. He sees the success that west coast schools have in getting guys to the pros. I see him liking UCLA.

If I am an 18 year old looking at schools it makes more sense for me to stay close to home on the west coast. What's eating him up is that when he went to Nebraska the fans knew him, everyone welcomed him, the stadium was electric, Our defense is amazing and nationally recognized on TV every week. He would have the chance of playing right after Suh... of keeping the portland legacy alive. He sees the stardom he can have at Nebraska and the coaching he will receive there. He sees the kindness of the fans and the family atmosphere at UNL. So he feels like he an adapt... he knows he has a better shot of getting to the NFL at Nebraska. He knows that it's in Nebraska though... most people outside of the state think it is in the middle of nowhere. They see the education as mediocre compared to Texas, OU, A&M...etc.

So I mean... we know where he needs to end up. But most 18year olds, no matter how mature, are not mature enough or brave enough to take the big leap of faith and go. It's too scary and they find ways of finding enough reasons to stay close to home to talk themselves out of going far away... because they're scared.

I think when it's all said and done he will respect, love, and cherish Nebraska... but I think he will pick west coast, either UCLA or Oregon. And ultimately I think he will listen to his coaches, mom, and go where they are most at peace with him going.

He has 80 million reasons to go to NU. That is the money a top 5 draft pick will get if they are taken early in the NFL draft. That is projected money in 5 years. I respectfully disagree with your view. Too many texts and rumors that he is a silent commit. IBWT In Bo We Trust!!!!!

Wow thats a lot of reading. :) I agree with Schub though. Has anyone heard if the Eric Martin text rumors are valid?

Let's put it this way. Too many texts and rumors that he is a silent commit.

I personally think this put him in a bad spot, so I don't want to say what I know. I am really confident it is true!!!

• Fire 1

Hopefully the crap in Oregon knocked them out.. Although most of us assumed it was a two horse race between NU and UCLA anyway, so not much movement on that front.

I just hope his prospective school chart doesn't have bogus items like Girls, or Beaches, or Weather as list items.. instead I pray it only consists of academics and football. We would win on that chart compared to UCLA.

Actually, it would be a tie in that case. Nebraska would win for football and UCLA would win for academics.

Not true. NU would win for academics as the academic support program at NU for athletes is far above that of UCLA's. See academic all-americans. It could be considered a wash. Granted UCLA has the name behind the program, but for athletes going to a top tier program isn't as important as having the support system for their degree. Not to mention the reason for UCLA being above NU is not for undergrad reasons, it's their research work and graduate schools that are superior.

Then we should define what we mean by "academics," because quality of education (the top scholars as your professors and higher entrance requirements) and academic support (tutors, etc. to help athletes do well in their classes) are two different things. If we mean the former, then pretty much everyone who didn't go to UNL agrees that UCLA wins. If we mean the latter, then UNL wins.

Precisely!! I think academics to Owa does not mean "the major I want, and people to help me make good grades." I think he's looking at the quality of education. Like... which school will give me a degree that will be recognized as prestigious across the country. Degrees like Stanford, Harvard, Duke, Princeton, Yale... moving out of ivy league... UT, A&M, Vanderbilt, Pennsylvania, UCLA, CAL Berkley, UNC, USC...These schools are all extremely difficult to get into. They are very selective, thus their degrees are worth a ton.

Nebraska may have a lot of programs set up to help people succeed. They may have a lot of athletes with high GPA's but that doesn't mean that those kids are brilliant... it could mean the classes are easy and the kids are getting a lot of help. I'm not saying Nebraska does not have good academics... but out of state the degree will not be worth near as much as one of these other schools will be.

Just Sayin...

• Fire 1

Hopefully the crap in Oregon knocked them out.. Although most of us assumed it was a two horse race between NU and UCLA anyway, so not much movement on that front.

I just hope his prospective school chart doesn't have bogus items like Girls, or Beaches, or Weather as list items.. instead I pray it only consists of academics and football. We would win on that chart compared to UCLA.

Actually, it would be a tie in that case. Nebraska would win for football and UCLA would win for academics.

Not true. NU would win for academics as the academic support program at NU for athletes is far above that of UCLA's. See academic all-americans. It could be considered a wash. Granted UCLA has the name behind the program, but for athletes going to a top tier program isn't as important as having the support system for their degree. Not to mention the reason for UCLA being above NU is not for undergrad reasons, it's their research work and graduate schools that are superior.

Then we should define what we mean by "academics," because quality of education (the top scholars as your professors and higher entrance requirements) and academic support (tutors, etc. to help athletes do well in their classes) are two different things. If we mean the former, then pretty much everyone who didn't go to UNL agrees that UCLA wins. If we mean the latter, then UNL wins.

Precisely!! I think academics to Owa does not mean "the major I want, and people to help me make good grades." I think he's looking at the quality of education. Like... which school will give me a degree that will be recognized as prestigious across the country. Degrees like Stanford, Harvard, Duke, Princeton, Yale... moving out of ivy league... UT, A&M, Vanderbilt, Pennsylvania, UCLA, CAL Berkley, UNC, USC...These schools are all extremely difficult to get into. They are very selective, thus their degrees are worth a ton.

Nebraska may have a lot of programs set up to help people succeed. They may have a lot of athletes with high GPA's but that doesn't mean that those kids are brilliant... it could mean the classes are easy and the kids are getting a lot of help. I'm not saying Nebraska does not have good academics... but out of state the degree will not be worth near as much as one of these other schools will be.

Just Sayin...

Kids with this kids of natural ability will make millions in the NFL, so UCLA, NU or UO on the resume doesn't matter. It may matter for the normal working population but this is a can't miss prospect. Barring serious injury, this kid will go to the NFL. It really matters on what set of coaches and school has shown the ability to make NFL prospects out of their players. Only one school out of the three really stands out. NU!!!!!!!!!

Since we are all Nebraska fans and most of us have been around the culture and the pure awesomeness of Nebraska for a while now of course we see our school as being way better than the others. But you have to take this into consideration... Owa is 18 years old. When I was 18 years old looking at colleges what I looked for in a school was entirely different than what I would look for today. So here's what I'm saying. This kid is 18 years old and is looking at probably the biggest decision he has ever made in his life. He has the option of staying within a few hours of home, going to Oregon, starting all four years, being a superstar, having awesome Nike facilities, playing in a conference he is very familiar with that he probably believes to be really good (despite the fact that we all know it's not) and he probably says... man I can go to Oregon and get most of the same stuff I could get at Nebraska. He looks at UCLA and sees the weather, the women, the academic reputation that the school has nationally. He sees that UCLA is still pretty close to home (14hrs) and that he would still be in an area that was comfortable for him... west coast. He sees that there is a Nigerian community there. He knows he could be a star at UCLA and he knows that there are a lot of Hollywood stars, and NFL people in LA. He sees the success that west coast schools have in getting guys to the pros. I see him liking UCLA.

If I am an 18 year old looking at schools it makes more sense for me to stay close to home on the west coast. What's eating him up is that when he went to Nebraska the fans knew him, everyone welcomed him, the stadium was electric, Our defense is amazing and nationally recognized on TV every week. He would have the chance of playing right after Suh... of keeping the portland legacy alive. He sees the stardom he can have at Nebraska and the coaching he will receive there. He sees the kindness of the fans and the family atmosphere at UNL. So he feels like he an adapt... he knows he has a better shot of getting to the NFL at Nebraska. He knows that it's in Nebraska though... most people outside of the state think it is in the middle of nowhere. They see the education as mediocre compared to Texas, OU, A&M...etc.

So I mean... we know where he needs to end up. But most 18year olds, no matter how mature, are not mature enough or brave enough to take the big leap of faith and go. It's too scary and they find ways of finding enough reasons to stay close to home to talk themselves out of going far away... because they're scared.

I think when it's all said and done he will respect, love, and cherish Nebraska... but I think he will pick west coast, either UCLA or Oregon. And ultimately I think he will listen to his coaches, mom, and go where they are most at peace with him going.

He has 80 million reasons to go to NU. That is the money a top 5 draft pick will get if they are taken early in the NFL draft. That is projected money in 5 years. I respectfully disagree with your view. Too many texts and rumors that he is a silent commit. IBWT In Bo We Trust!!!!!

Wow thats a lot of reading. :) I agree with Schub though. Has anyone heard if the Eric Martin text rumors are valid?

HuskerNLimbo, you are Owa correct? You are literally a husker 'n limbo?

HuskerNLimbo, you are Owa correct? You are literally a husker 'n limbo?

Hah. Well I was trying to keep at secret. . .

My apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I don't have the time to read all of today's posts.

Do coaches have a reason to keep their star players like Owa in-state? Don't they have relationships with the local college coaches? Wouldn't they occasionally want to pull a favor for a kid, and contact the local college coaches and tell them they have a kid that is being overlooked? I remember a few times in the past a highschool coach had called NU and told them they need to take a second look at a kid we weren't recruiting.

It just seems to me the high school coach, while many may in fact have ONLY the best interest of their players at heart, also have reasons to push a kid to the local colleges. Perhaps the coach has an eye on moving into the college ranks (ala Jeffcoat and his dad as well as many others)..

It just seems to me the kid was all but 100% sure until he talked t his coach, now he's undecided. Wouldn't suprise me at all if the coaches relationship with Oregeon is playing a factor in this.

Again....with all the rumors going around you cant help to think his mind is made up. His coach is not going come out and give a hint as to which school is the clear favorite and steal OWA's thunder..we know he wants to respectfully tell the other coaches he has made up his mind.

He doesnt seem like the kind of guy thats going to bash other schools by saying...we made a pros and cons list and Nebraska was heads and tails above the other schools....but he will make his decision soon.

We will find out who had the most points when he commits this week. I dont see him waiting til signing day because that can be seen as playing the game, so i see him announcing before then.

Uh oh.

post-7093-126446511734.jpg

Taken from this link: ESPN Rumor Mill

I heard on another board that Lowe and Owa have talked about perhaps going to the same school. Does anyone know how close these two are? Should we be concerned? Or is ESPN just fueling the fire?

Find out next week on As the post-7093-126446534459.gif Turns.

Edited by MKO
  • Fire 2

Uh oh.

I heard on another board that Lowe and Owa have talked about perhaps going to the same school. Does anyone know how close these two are? Should we be concerned? Or is ESPN just fueling the fire?

I feel this is the same crap as Prater / Cooper. However, like the aforementioned, I see both Lowe and Owa attending different schools.

Uh oh.

Hmm. Well if it really was important for Owa to attend the same school as Lowe, then I'm sure we would've heard much more about it before a week away from signing day. I've never heard Owa mention this, so I don't think it's much of a factor.

Uh oh.

Hmm. Well if it really was important for Owa to attend the same school as Lowe, then I'm sure we would've heard much more about it before a week away from signing day. I've never heard Owa mention this, so I don't think it's much of a factor.

:yeah

Good take. If this is a factor for Owa at all, I would guess it's towards the bottom of the priority list...right below "Size of Coach's Nose" and just above "Number of Sled Hills in Town."

Just Sayin...

Kids with this kids of natural ability will make millions in the NFL, so UCLA, NU or UO on the resume doesn't matter. It may matter for the normal working population but this is a can't miss prospect. Barring serious injury, this kid will go to the NFL. It really matters on what set of coaches and school has shown the ability to make NFL prospects out of their players. Only one school out of the three really stands out. NU!!!!!!!!!

True, but he strikes me as an all possibilities type of guy. I would imagine he is weighing the fact that one injury can totally derail all thoughts of the NFL and will need something to fall back on as well.