Much youth on this board!

That only know of UT and OU winning. They fail to realize that Osborne's teams were not winners because of top 10 recruiting classes like the teams are built today. His teams beat many recruiting gurus like CU, UF and Tennessee. The old NU ran a SYSTEM and recruited to fit that system. They didn't just recruit folks because others recruited them.

Ok, I'll bite. I don't necessarily consider myself old or young, I am 29. However, those that look back in awe of the glory years only like to thing that the Huskers built up the empire with a roster that consisted solely of walk-on beefeaters from Smalltown, Nebraska. Osborne had some of the best recruiting classes in the country. Between 93 and 98, I think all classes were rated no lower than 12th. The 1985 class with Steve Taylor and Sandman was a consensus #1 class. What about the class with Turner Gill? It's this head in the clouds infatuation with the 80s and 90s that is annoying.

That is no where near USC's top 3 classes every year under Carroll! Those classes were also not consensus, meaning agreed upon by more than one recruiting guru. Gill played on NU teams that passed more than the 90s teams and USC has 3-5 deep top 5 ranked HS QBs. For NU to get Frazier was a steal, since they didn't have the market cornered on option QBs like SC has on pro-style QBs. Sanchez, #1, Corp #4, Mustain, #1, Barkley #1... Where were the two backups to #15 ranked in the recruiting rankings?

That only know of UT and OU winning. They fail to realize that Osborne's teams were not winners because of top 10 recruiting classes like the teams are built today. His teams beat many recruiting gurus like CU, UF and Tennessee. The old NU ran a SYSTEM and recruited to fit that system. They didn't just recruit folks because others recruited them.

Ok, I'll bite. I don't necessarily consider myself old or young, I am 29. However, those that look back in awe of the glory years only like to thing that the Huskers built up the empire with a roster that consisted solely of walk-on beefeaters from Smalltown, Nebraska. Osborne had some of the best recruiting classes in the country. Between 93 and 98, I think all classes were rated no lower than 12th. The 1985 class with Steve Taylor and Sandman was a consensus #1 class. What about the class with Turner Gill? It's this head in the clouds infatuation with the 80s and 90s that is annoying.

That is no where near USC's top 3 classes every year under Carroll! Those classes were also not consensus, meaning agreed upon by more than one recruiting guru. Gill played on NU teams that passed more than the 90s teams and USC has 3-5 deep top 5 ranked HS QBs. For NU to get Frazier was a steal, since they didn't have the market cornered on option QBs like SC has on pro-style QBs. Sanchez, #1, Corp #4, Mustain, #1, Barkley #1... Where were the two backups to #15 ranked in the recruiting rankings?

Perhaps, but you are missing the big point here....

USC sucks and I hate them...have always hated them...and will always hate them. So no matter what USC does or how their recruiting classes rank, blah blah blah...the bottom line is they suck. :angry:

Carry on....

Ok, I'll bite. I don't necessarily consider myself old or young, I am 29. However, those that look back in awe of the glory years only like to think that the Huskers built up the empire with a roster that consisted solely of walk-on beefeaters from Smalltown, Nebraska. Osborne had some of the best recruiting classes in the country. Between 93 and 98, I think all classes were rated no lower than 12th. The 1985 class with Steve Taylor and Sandman was a consensus #1 class. What about the class with Turner Gill? It's this head in the clouds infatuation with the 80s and 90s that is annoying.

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...amp;#entry31309

My memory doesn't serve me as well as I thought, but some very respectable numbers, nonetheless.

Didn't it come down to Harrison Beck and Sanchez, and Callahan went with Beck. I remember reading that Sanchez's first choice was Nebraska. Oh well it wouldn't have mattered any way, with the defense those teams played.

GBR!!!

What was the recruiting class of Chase daniel and Maclin rated with missouri

According to Rivals (other selectors will have different results) here are the rankings for the last 6 years for NU and Mizzu

Starting with the most recent class (2009) and going back to 2004's class)

MU - 40.30,33,47,39,29

NU - 28-25-13-20- 5-27

Chase Daniel was in the 05 class which was ranked # 39, compared to NU's 5. Callahan got Harrison Beck.

Maclin was in the 06 class ranked 47 to NU's 20 He was recruited by Cosgrove for NU, don't know if he ever had any real interest in Nebraska, doesn't look like OU even offered him.

Rivals

not that it matters now, but Maclin's interest in NU was over fairly quickly because BC only originally offered a gray shirt. As for OU. J-Mac had commited to OU, then backed out of that commitment and verballed to MU, resulting in Stoops pulling the offer.

My two cents on this whole thing is that you recruit players that fit you schemes and what you want in a player. You successes then allow you to recruite more talented players that fit. You dont alway need top classes. You just need good football players that you can coach and that can execute what you ask them to do. The better you are, the better players that are available to you that fit that mold.

Thing is, Neb used to win because they had hands-down the best S&C in the country and we had an offensive genius that ran a system that required a particular kind of qb, o-lineman, and wr to work that often weren't very highly-sought guys. Now plenty of teams have good S&C and we're after the same offensive players as a bunch of other teams.

Let's not forget the Huskers used to play defense as well. A gigantic reason NU used to wear so many teams down is because their defense forced three and outs on a regular clip.

If NU can continue to recruit blue chip players on defense, Nebraska will make some strides with Pelini at the helm.

Recruit impact players on defense first. NU already proved they can move the football with guys like Joey Ganz, Nate Swift, and Todd Peterson. I love all those guys, but they're not going to turn any heads at an NFL scouting combine. If we can get the defense shored up, the wins will start becoming easier. Once NU starts racking up 10 win and 10+ win seasons again, then the National recruits will start gravitating towards the Nebraska offense as well.

USC sucks and I hate them...have always hated them...and will always hate them. So no matter what USC does or how their recruiting classes rank, blah blah blah...the bottom line is they suck. :angry:

Carry on....

If you hate them so much, why do you have them in your sig?.. <_<

Carry on....

Look again, those are Iowa State players.

Carry on....

We have a winner.

Carry on....

soooo... iowa states sucks by proxy?

Carry on....

soooo... iowa states sucks by proxy?

YES