Niles Paul got a DUI??

Yes and by setting his ass for a year might stop the next one from doing it.

No one else feels the financial problem but Pauls parents most likley.

Top players knowing the Paul is not playing will get their attention, at least hopefully.

Playing football for Nebraska is a priveledge, make him earn it.

And again it is not a mistake.

It was a choice, wrong so be it, but not a mistake.

I'm sorry but there is no way you can suspend him and take his scholarship away for a year just to "make a statement". It doesn't work that way, you know it and I know it.

Like I have said twice now, Bo set the mark by only suspending Teafatiller(2nd DUI) for the first game last year so don't expect anything more then that for Paul.

People can rant and rave about how he should be gone but at the end of the day that isn't going to happen.

Isn't making the wrong choice considered making a mistake? Maybe I'm confused.

Exactly. Let him redshirt and if he makes the right moves, he plays next year. If not too bad.

Bo may have made a mistake last year with Teaf, but after the bar ban last year I expect a tougher road to Hoe for Mr. Paul. That obviously did not get the point accross. Christenson is a whole new deal that will be considered is my guess.

Trust me guys if this was happening at Colorado, Missouri or KState your ideas would be different.

I have sent a letter to Coach Osborne and Coach Pelini, to ask for fair treatment of Niles. But I want to see fair treatment for the University. Our drinking problem series is cause for alarm to the outsider and causes more problems down the road.

I got an email from my boss this morning. Looks like Nebraska is on the rise, they are getting their criminals back in the ranks. I know he is just yanking my chain, but those feelings will be out there if this is not handled correctly.

Embarassing to say the least.

I think that if those of you who want to throw the book at Paul would look a little closer, you might be very dissapointed/disturbed at what you would find. DUIs ARE a big deal and have become even more of a big deal in recent times with interest groups (MADD, SADD) having formed in the last few decades and I think that appropriate action need be taken, but Paul was most likely as much a perpetrator of a crime as much as he was a victim of bad luck.

I know Lincoln isn't Athens or anywhere else, but throughout my college career I saw NUMEROUS football players obliterated in downtown bars, saw them get in their vehicles, saw them drive off. Many times I read the old Crime Watch in the student newspaper the next week and saw arrest reports, but most of the time, no arrest report was included because the player hadn't been picked up that night.

The point that I'm trying to make is that if those who would villify the one who happened to be caught in turn villified all of the perpetraors and called for suspensions, a significant portion of the team would be suspended. I don't necessarilly disagree with this stance, but it doesn't seem possible in major college football to A. suspend a quarter of a football team B. to monitor this type of activity at an extreme level.

I know he did not hurt anyone, but he could have, and most likley will if he gets by with a slap on the wrist.

This comment is ridiculous.

#1 IMO, even the smallest penalty for a 1st offense DUI is more than a slap on the wrist. #2 to say that most likely he will do it again is just asinine. This kid hasn't shown anything besides having one of the best characters on the team and one mistake and Boom lets thrown him under the bus... Just wow

No. A mistake is when you think the answer is "A" when, in reality, the answer is "B."

Underage drinking is not a mistake. It is a crime. Driving while drunk is not a mistake. It is a crime. He chose to place people in the community at risk by drinking and driving. He chose to embarrass his team and his university. No these were issues far, far more serious than "mistakes" --- they were premeditated crimes. And they were numerous in number, not just once (suspended license means he had earlier "mistake" that were likely crimes too)

If he is one of those with the best "character" on the team then we are near anarchy on the team. Lets hope that this is not the case.

An, by the way, Niles Paul threw himself under the bus. It is not irretrievable --- he can crawl back out and change, mature and make amends --- this I hope he does --- that said, he needs to do this not as a part of the NU football team. He should be gone.

Well sh#t, I guess you have never happen to have a few beers and then driven home? I suppose you are little Mr Perfect then? We have no idea why his license was suspended before, we have no idea what he blew. Yes, it was a misjudgment on his part to drink underage but it happens, sadly the majority of kids do it. Quit acting like you are so much better than everyone else.

Well.... OK then. I am no mr. perfect, no one is --- but this is not a comparison between people. This is not about me. Or you. Or anyone other than Niles Paul. He committed an array of crimes (two, at least). It is in his best interests, and that of society at large (you know the people who might get hit by drunk drivers) to pay a major, major penalty so as to convey that such behavior is not tolerated in hopes that they never do this again (and that others contemplating doing so would not go that way recognizing that the costs are too high).

Many here seem to assume that driving drunk is routine behavior that many engage in. Man.... I hope that is not the case. Actually, I doubt that is the case. That said, this has been an interesting thread to read --- not so encouraging, but interesting.

So if the judicial system finishes up with giving him probation or community service, you think Bo should go above and beyond that and take away his scholarship, education, and everything else just to send a message to the rest of the team/state/country?

Saying that a university or state has a zero tolerance policy is very touchy. For instance, if a school has a zero tolerance policy for weapons...this includes guns and knives (obviously), but also includes a wide range of items that can be considered a weapon and a 1st grader brings in something like a finger nail clipper, should they be expelled from the district because of the zero tolerance policy? I know we are talking about two complete different instances, but a zero tolerance policy is a zero tolerance policy. Niles has not committed any other crimes (to my knowledge) and people want to have a public hanging to "make a statement". Not sure that is the best idea!

Let me first send my condolences to the people and families that have been effected by a drunk driver. These are bad situations and hard times. It is also very hard if not impossible to convey this exactly to another person that has not gone through a similar situation. Yes, Niles made a mistake. Yes, it was a bad choice.

mis⋅take

   /mɪˈsteɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mi-steyk] Show IPA noun, verb, -took, -tak⋅en, -tak⋅ing.

–noun

1. an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.

2. a misunderstanding or misconception.

I do feel that the punishment should fit the "crime". IMO, he should be suspended for the spring game and the first 3 - 4 games next season. As some else has stated, Bo is going to have a tough time in doing something like this because of the one game suspension handed to Hunter for a 2nd offense. But I do believe the punishment should be more than 1 game. Just my two cents.

Exactly. Let him redshirt and if he makes the right moves, he plays next year. If not too bad.

Bo may have made a mistake last year with Teaf, but after the bar ban last year I expect a tougher road to Hoe for Mr. Paul. That obviously did not get the point accross. Christenson is a whole new deal that will be considered is my guess.

Trust me guys if this was happening at Colorado, Missouri or KState your ideas would be different.

I have sent a letter to Coach Osborne and Coach Pelini, to ask for fair treatment of Niles. But I want to see fair treatment for the University. Our drinking problem series is cause for alarm to the outsider and causes more problems down the road.

I got an email from my boss this morning. Looks like Nebraska is on the rise, they are getting their criminals back in the ranks. I know he is just yanking my chain, but those feelings will be out there if this is not handled correctly.

Embarassing to say the least.

i disagree, because it has happened and is happening at other schools you just do now know or hear about it because you do not follow those schools. I am not biting these players from other schools heads off so why should we bite Niles Pauls head off?

http://www.dui.com/dui-library/georgia/new...ith-georgia-dui

1 Game suspension

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/02...dui-arrest.html

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_co...-bartender.html

http://www.sportsbreakingnews.com/college-...aces-dui-2.html

those are just the first 4 that i have seen in the last month or so. in fact Iowa has had something like 10 alcohol related arrests so far this year (2009).

Using Niles as a way to show everyone else what can happen would not be fair to Niles. You do that by raising the punishment for a second offense from 1 game to a first offense is 2 games to a season and you will have lost the respect of your players. any person that runs a successful business would be able to tell you that! On top of all of that their would certainly be media backlash because you just suspended an african american player for 2 games to a season just a year after you suspended a white player for only 1 game! Wow, that makes recruits wanna come play for Nebraska!

Give me a break! if he were to get kicked off of the team or suspended longer than what is precedent then every person that gets a DUI should be suspended from their job! You cant have it both ways, just because he is an athlete (that is not paid--tuition can be gotten for free many other ways) it does not mean that he should have to suffer more than the average man or woman. A DUI already comes with a hefty price to pay and most people do not commit the crime again after they already have before.

Im sorry for your losses but you are being WAY too harsh on the guy before you even give him a chance to see if it is going to be recognized in court and this happens way more often than what you think, UNL is not special to the beer drinking game!

You ever lost a family member to a drunk driver?

Try it, you will not like it.

Your attitude is exactly what is wrong. Its just drinking. He did not mean to hurt anyone. Just kids.

That is easy for you to say until you see a whole family laying dead in the street and the damned drunk normally walks away.

He has branded himself. I didn't, but just because he plays a frippne game for Nebraska he is a saint.

There is a drinking problem with in this program. It needs to stop. There is only one way for it to stop. Bo has to come down hard on it, no matter the talent level.

I am sure if Niles had hit your grandmother and killed her, it would be okay because we need him to win the next game. That is what is wrong with these kids, never having to face reality. It needs to start now. Try thinking about how life realy is and what is important. He needs help, there are obviously problems.

Drinking and driving is wrong. Everyone hears and knows about it. But, it still happens. The only problem I have with your take is it's harshness. I understand having a family member get killed by a drunk driver. But, as I grew up Christian forgiveness is near the top of my list. Forgive people, maybe even if they don't deserve it or want it. It sure lightens the load off your shoulders.

Anyways, Niles made a mistake. He's not the first and he won't be the last. Punish him, but taking away his possible future is not a just punishment, just cruel. If you didn't give those who did wrong other chances to make themselves better and learn from mistakes why are any of us here. For those of you who haven't ever done wrong, feel free to cast the first stone. Something tells me I won't be seeing any broken glass.

Wow. That's exactly how I feel. Nothing irritates me more than when the men and women in charge punish kids so fully as if they themselves have never made misjudgments. If none of us were ever forgiven, there'd be no one left standing. Kids who continually disregard the rules should really be "punished", but as for Niles, who, as far as we know, made one error (and I don't think license issues are signs of a flawed character), let him do his time and get on with playing, because someone probably did the same for all of us at some point in our lives.

Sorry for your losses, but every case is not the same. Paul didn't hurt anyone and we don't even know how much alcohol was in his system. He wasn't being very smart, of course, given all the circumstances. But let's wait until the BAC is released before scheduling the crucifixion.

So wait, just because he was lucky enough not to kill someone, it isn't a big deal? I'm with skersfan here -

KICK NILES OFF THE TEAM.

Sorry for your losses, but every case is not the same. Paul didn't hurt anyone and we don't even know how much alcohol was in his system. He wasn't being very smart, of course, given all the circumstances. But let's wait until the BAC is released before scheduling the crucifixion.

KICK NILES OFF THE TEAM.

I dont agree. Respect your opinion though.

Happy Cop says: If you get pulled over going 62 mph in a 60 mph zone, you should be arrested, forced to lose your job and made an example out of for the community. Speed kills and it's against the law....statistically, it's a factor in nearly all fatal motor vehicle accidents.

But luckily I don't have to worry about that with you fine folks, because since you were teenagers, you've respected the law and haven't made any mistakes at all.

Thank goodness!

:cop: