ATH Curtis Carter

As awful as the offensive recruiting has been this season, making vast coaching changes only makes sense now. Nothing to lose anymore.

lol, if we were to make coaching changes we wouldn't lose any offensive recruit...maybe, how it's possible to only have a QB and 1 WR in an entire recruiting class is beyond me.

Secondly, CC, I hope you're smart enough to go to TCU (We'd still welcome you back to Nebraska), but if you go to Missouri...you will amount to nothing and be second best in the Big 12 North and 5th to 6th best in the Big 12 every year. Enjoy the Poinsetta Bowl every year...no recognition but whatever.

Btw, TCU has sent 1 recognized player into the NFL in the last 10-20 years. also, this is their first BCS bowl in who knows how long...maybe forever.

Nebraska>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Missouri>>>>>>>>>>>>>TCU

On the fence about the ultimatum. Curtis sounded very bitter about it which makes me wonder if that's the right way to approach it. But we really don't know any specifics.

I do believe that players who are committed shouldn't take visits. I am not sure about a hard line but I can't argue too much against it. Just question how Gilmore handled this.

Thing is, kid grew up an LSU fan. He wanted to go to LSU (probably still would if they'd offer), but they didn't offer. Even when LSU decided not to give him a scholarship, he took the high road and talked about how he still loved them and just felt he must not be what they're looking for. It was 100% class, then comes the explosion that Gilmore caused? Sorry, but Gilmore had to of seriously been a prick to piss Carter off so bad.

I couldn't agree with you more. This kid has a lot of class, and in the end he has to do what's best for him. I wish it were Nebraska, but I can understand the kid not trusting his football career to Gilmore and Wats. Gilmore needs a taste of humble pie, and Wats needs to own up for his own offensive ineptitude (that really got me when he says the guys have a lot of maturing to do, and excluded himself from fault).

The one shining light from is if we lose more offensive recruits, that would have to force Bo's hand to make some coaching changes.

gilmore needs a taste of humble pie? because he clarified that a kid that is clearly not committed to us is, in fact, not committed to us? i agree that gilmore and watson have something to prove when it comes to coaching, but based upon the fact that they both looked a lot better last year, i'm willing to give them a pass on a year with a really strange run of luck on offensive personnel.

further, if you think bo is going to make coaching changes based upon the whims of a few high school kids, i don't think you have any understanding of bo, or the direction this program is returning to. unless someone leaves voluntarily, there will be no coaching changes this off season. this program needs stability and a family atmosphere and bo and tom know that. it would help if fans (as well as the world herald) could appreciate the job they're doing rather than overreacting to everything and throwing stones at a program that is quickly awakening from its slumber.

If we are going to make coaching changes I think this year is the time. We don't have that many recruits to lose.

Next year will be a different story, we could lose reeves and moore, and also great opportunities at westerman and green.

coaching is about more than recruiting, it's about winning games. part of winning games is building a culture and not firing coaches every time you have a tough year.

On the fence about the ultimatum. Curtis sounded very bitter about it which makes me wonder if that's the right way to approach it. But we really don't know any specifics.

I do believe that players who are committed shouldn't take visits. I am not sure about a hard line but I can't argue too much against it. Just question how Gilmore handled this.

Thing is, kid grew up an LSU fan. He wanted to go to LSU (probably still would if they'd offer), but they didn't offer. Even when LSU decided not to give him a scholarship, he took the high road and talked about how he still loved them and just felt he must not be what they're looking for. It was 100% class, then comes the explosion that Gilmore caused? Sorry, but Gilmore had to of seriously been a prick to piss Carter off so bad.

I couldn't agree with you more. This kid has a lot of class, and in the end he has to do what's best for him. I wish it were Nebraska, but I can understand the kid not trusting his football career to Gilmore and Wats. Gilmore needs a taste of humble pie, and Wats needs to own up for his own offensive ineptitude (that really got me when he says the guys have a lot of maturing to do, and excluded himself from fault).

The one shining light from is if we lose more offensive recruits, that would have to force Bo's hand to make some coaching changes.

gilmore needs a taste of humble pie? because he clarified that a kid that is clearly not committed to us is, in fact, not committed to us? i agree that gilmore and watson have something to prove when it comes to coaching, but based upon the fact that they both looked a lot better last year, i'm willing to give them a pass on a year with a really strange run of luck on offensive personnel.

further, if you think bo is going to make coaching changes based upon the whims of a few high school kids, i don't think you have any understanding of bo, or the direction this program is returning to. unless someone leaves voluntarily, there will be no coaching changes this off season. this program needs stability and a family atmosphere and bo and tom know that. it would help if fans (as well as the world herald) could appreciate the job they're doing rather than overreacting to everything and throwing stones at a program that is quickly awakening from its slumber.

Watson and Gilmore looked good last year because you had three guys with amazing chemistry, that knew how to turn a broken play into something. As for Gilmore alone, he has had more WRs not pan out (Holt, Henry, Gillylen, Hardy, Brooks) than succeed. And you could even say that Paul has not been the model of consistency.

The coaching changes would not be made on the whims of a few kids, but on the production of this offense. I cannot believe you honestly defend these guys. As for my understanding of Bo, I know he wants to win, and it is becoming more and more obvious that this offense is becoming a liability.

If you want a family atmosphere I hear Disney World is the place to be. This is the Big 12! and if you can't produce you need to be cut.

edit: to the above post I can name one game this year that offense won, and even in that game the defense held strong. In order, to have a culture you have to know who you are and be consistent with your model of who you are. Describe to me in one sentence, damnit i'll even let you write a book, on what our offense is.

I'm high on Brooks. I think he would've been a bigger part of this offense if he didn't get injured right when he started getting playing time. He could've played very similar to what Swift and Peterson did last year if he stayed healthy. Just didn't get his chance this year.

But you're right I think that the biggest problem with this year's receivers were the dropped passes. Got to get that fixed before everything else.

Love the ultimatum from Gilmore. I'm sorry Carter won't be a Husker, but I love that the coaches tell them if they shop around we aren't interested. Good move, imo. If they shop around they are usually gone anyways . . . and this way we can immediately get to work finding a replacement.

Good luck wherever you end up CC. (as long as it is not MU.)

That's suicide in today's recruiting world. How many of our commits once commited to a different program? You take the commit when you get it, you'll win some, and you'll lose some. To pretend that kids won't look around is crazy.

I don't buy that. Once they are committed . . . they are committed. Do you think a guy like Rex Burkhead would shop around after committing? I sure don't think so. The Pelini's seem to want character guys.

True that. Cody Green didn't shop around. Rex Burkhead didn't shop around. Dontrayevous Robinson didn't shop around. The all committed and stuck with us. Never gave the Huskers a doubt and thats the kind of mentality we want our younger players to have coming into a program that is rebuilding.

This loss sucks. Right now that is. Tommorrow, maybe. If he goes to missouri, good luck to him. Good luck in the same sense that Gabbert had against the Nebraska D this year. Good luck having a huge game like Shipley had against us this year. I'm not worried at all about losing a kid to missouri. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up. If he comes back here, great. If he doesn't we'll move on.

His comments about the offense are true. To a tee. HOWEVER, he is the one being dumb enough to not realize that things change. We are obviously playing to what the strengths of the team are. Last year that was a lot different than what it is right now. That should impress a recruit showing them that we are willing to do what it takes to win games. This isn't rich-rod/callahan trying to force a square peg into a round hole just so he is running his own system. Nebraska is on the way back, the Texas game showed that. We are going to play strong defense. Seems like we aren't going to be the team that brings in all the flashy players. We're going to bring in the guys that buy into the system and into the team, and i have no problem with that. If you don't wanna be with the program, good luck else where, and when we meet, be ready to get dominated.

This loss sucks. Right now that is. Tommorrow, maybe. If he goes to missouri, good luck to him. Good luck in the same sense that Gabbert had against the Nebraska D this year. Good luck having a huge game like Shipley had against us this year. I'm not worried at all about losing a kid to missouri. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up. If he comes back here, great. If he doesn't we'll move on.

His comments about the offense are true. To a tee. HOWEVER, he is the one being dumb enough to not realize that things change. We are obviously playing to what the strengths of the team are. Last year that was a lot different than what it is right now. That should impress a recruit showing them that we are willing to do what it takes to win games. This isn't rich-rod/callahan trying to force a square peg into a round hole just so he is running his own system. Nebraska is on the way back, the Texas game showed that. We are going to play strong defense. Seems like we aren't going to be the team that brings in all the flashy players. We're going to bring in the guys that buy into the system and into the team, and i have no problem with that. If you don't wanna be with the program, good luck else where, and when we meet, be ready to get dominated.

This is just silly. You know you wanted C Carter, I wanted C Carter and every other Husker fan wanted him in Lincoln. He was huge for the coaching staff. I think they tried to keep him from taking his Misery visit and it backfired. He told us to stuff it. That doesn't mean we didn't want the kid and we "don't care" that he is not coming here.

And all of this stuff about how we are going to "dominate" him or hurt this player or make them wish they had come here instead of going somewhere else is just happy horses***. We've slipped into one Big 12 North championship and lost close in the CCG in how many years? In your own piece you claim that last year we were fercrap on defense so we were smart enough to play great offense--that makes our coaching staff geniuses since they "adapted". Get real. Football teams change every year, whether pro or college. But in college ball the added diminsion of 4 yrs of eligibility makes the change each year very unpredictable. We had some offensive players last year. This year we have krap. Last year our defense was pretty bad. This year it came together but is a very senior led group. Losing the player of the decade in college ball along with Turner, Dill and Asante will hurt badly. The good news they gave some other players a chance to learn their position without the team getting killed. Next year is totally up in the air until we prove what we can do on D in the PS (post Suh) era..

Crick will not be the force that Suh was, lightening doesn't strike twice. Steinkuler and Crick will be good but neither will require the triple teams, chop blocks and overall mess up the opposing offense. Because of that teams will likely have more time to throw on us. I'd bet anybody our defense will not rank as high or be as statistically sound next year. That's just an obvious conclusion that may not pan out.

Our offense should be better, but where is the great improvement coming from? Kinnie seems to be catching on but who is going to consistantly get him the ball? Can Helu stay sound for a season? If your premise is right, we'll just decide as a team to become an offensive jauggernaut next year to overcome the losses on defense. That aint the way it works.

We need players like Carter and Gabbert and if we don't get them, we will still be whining about the 2009 CCG this time next year while sitting at home for he bowl season while Misery, Ioway State and Ksucks finish ahead of us.

"Being Nebraska" doesn't cut it in this era. We need to have a staff that can recruit the very best players available and get them here and fit them into a system that gives us the ability to compete. The jury is out on whether Bo is going to be good at recruiting or is tempermentally suited to that most important part of coaching. But to claim when other teams kick our butt for a player that "we didn't want him anyway" is whistling by the grave yard.

Watson and Gilmore looked good last year because you had three guys with amazing chemistry, that knew how to turn a broken play into something. As for Gilmore alone, he has had more WRs not pan out (Holt, Henry, Gillylen, Hardy, Brooks) than succeed. And you could even say that Paul has not been the model of consistency.

The coaching changes would not be made on the whims of a few kids, but on the production of this offense. I cannot believe you honestly defend these guys. As for my understanding of Bo, I know he wants to win, and it is becoming more and more obvious that this offense is becoming a liability.

If you want a family atmosphere I hear Disney World is the place to be. This is the Big 12! and if you can't produce you need to be cut.

edit: to the above post I can name one game this year that offense won, and even in that game the defense held strong. In order, to have a culture you have to know who you are and be consistent with your model of who you are. Describe to me in one sentence, damnit i'll even let you write a book, on what our offense is.

again, one year is not a firing offense. we have had above average wide receiver play every year gilmore has been here until this year. if you don't understand the importance that atmosphere has on the attitudes and effort of college age kids, just take a look at the difference in what we're seeing on the field under this regime. yes, the offense sucked this year, yes there were reasons for it, and yes, we still damn near won the league anyways. this is a team that is working their ass off for their coaching staff. firing people is hardly conducive to building on the amazing progress we've seen under pelini. now, if we see the same thing again next season, i might consider it reasonable to make the change, but i don't think that's a given. i just don't understand what more pelini can do to show fans that he deserves a little faith in his coaching ability. it's almost as if everyone immediately forgot what it was like when he got here.

(please recall that before the season we lost the expected starter at quarterback in witt, a guy expected to compete for qb or be a top back-up in spano, an effective running back that was apparently outplaying helu pre-season in castille, our best lineman in burkes and a freshman that was pushing henry for starting guard in qvale. throw in the injuries that have plagued us through the season at RB and OL and it has been an unusual year on offense. i definitely still expected better deveopment out of lee and the receivers, but i'm willing to cut their coaches a break for one bad year, given the problems with the line and the running game.)

If you can't see into the very clear future that Nebraska is set to dominate the North for years to come, than I question your ability to reason. Bo Pelini took the 115th scoring defense and in two years made them the #2 scoring defense in the country. Are you serious??? We squeaked into the Big12 CG??? Seriously? We are literally 3 plays away from possibly playing in the National Championship..we had one of the worst offenses Nebraska has ever had this year and it's completely on the QB just this year. I for one don't think we will have the worst offense in the country next year and i sure as hell don't think our defense will fall off the map. As a high school student after watching Pelini's players, most who are coming back, make McCoy look like a child, you would have to be dumb to not commit to the huskers at this point in time. We've had a top 35 offense even without playmaking ability for over 5 years and hired Pelini to fix our D. Guess what? He did!

Nebraska is Back and will win the North next year without losing to an opponent...btw look at our schedule...even with setbacks we aren't worse than 10-2 and at the very worst 9-3 heading to the Big 12 champ. again.

dspanther05

Thanks for posting the facebook screen cap - a picture of words is worth a thousand words. Interesting that he is using his HUSKERS ILLUSTRATED picture for his profile pic... <_<

The real bummer here is that he thinks that the offense we ran in the last half of the season with Zac Lee as QB will be the same that we run for the next half of a decade. Kids his age don't really think about the long term, and this is a good example. However, I DEFINITELY do not blame him, and wish him the best of luck except against our BLACKSHIRTS. Hope he picks TCU...he should consult with Winless Freeman and Gimpy McGabbert about what happens when you decommit and move to another Big 12 school.

Wow, this has quickly become a meltdown, as all decommit threads do. Get over it, guys. The kid left for whatever reasons he claims. If he can't see how he'd be used in our offense, then I'd just as soon he go somewhere else. Nebraska football will continue on without him.

I feel this way too RedDenver. You hit the nail on the head. It is unrealistic and just not right to pin the future of Nebraska football and/or our offense on one kid. If he doesn't want to be a part of what we've got going on in Lincoln, he can hit the road.

Also, for everyone complainin about how bad the O will be next year: things will change. It will pick up. Bo is just as percepctive to our offensive woes this year as any of us. He's not a moron. He knows something needs to change. I have a good feeling he will either shake up the staff if he deems it necessary, experiment with some play calling himself offensively ( :o ...not as horrifying as it sounds), or have Wats on an extremely short leash after all the crap we went through this year. I have a feeling he'll also push whoever is in charge of the O to define it's identity... WCO/Spread, Power O, whatever. We'll be fine.