County Scholarships

If such a thing exists, and is known about by fans of other schools, how inept would the NCAA have to be to not be able to dig something up about it? Wouldn't it be pretty easy, if true, to simply follow the links in the story chain back to a credible witness?

The fact that this "rumor" has been in existence for over a decade and yet remains unsubstantiated should be proof enough that it's bogus.

I've been a Husker fan nearly 40 years and I've never even heard of this before today. If I've never heard the term "county scholarship" after all the digging, poking, prodding and talking I've done with coaches, players, reporters and other fans, that ought to tell you something about the "validity" of this thing.

But thanks for the post. I learned something new today.

• Fire 1

Before today, I had never heard of the "county scholarships" urban legend, but now I'm trying to find information on the 'net about this. Sounds like pure BS to me.

:yeah

I think a lot of Nebraska's athletes have other scholarships that they have been awarded by their work in the classroom. Case in point look at all of the athletes that Nebraska has as Academic All Americans.

Not to mention how many times have you heard about players passing up scholarships elsewhere, just for an opportunity to play for Nebraska.

:restore

In a way it's an honor that such a rumor persists to this day. Nobody complains that Missouri is getting "county scholarships," or Kansas, or Colorado. Nobody even thinks about "county scholarships" when they think of Iowa State. Why? Because none of them have had enough success to raise the suspicion.

In a way it's an honor that such a rumor persists to this day. Nobody complains that Missouri is getting "county scholarships," or Kansas, or Colorado. Nobody even thinks about "county scholarships" when they think of Iowa State. Why? Because none of them have had enough success to raise the suspicion.

Nobody thinks of "parish scholarships" when they think of LSU

Been around for a long long long time kids.

I think it came from the fact that at times we had 150+ players, most as walk ons, and some people could not believe they were walk ons.

It was also thought that people in the home towns of some athletes paid their tution as a group to help them. Who knows some of that could be true, but I highly doubt it.

Just and old rumor that has been around for 40 years at least.

And as stated if the NCAA thought it was going on, it would have been found out by now.

I was thinking about this and....

If a group of people, or person, or business paid some kid's scholarship how would that be an NCAA violation? Private entities give scholarships all the time. I would guess that the language of the agreement could not say football (or athletics). If a bunch of walk-ons had these types of scholarships I guess the NCAA would have to investigate but I don't know what they could do.

Doesn't this assume we have more DI talent in our state than we do? or at least more top caliber DI talent?

Why would there ever be a need to move a walk-on to scholarship if this was happening?

I would guess that NU is right up to the line when it comes to recruiting and the NCAA. Most bigger football schools probably are.

If a group of people, or person, or business paid some kid's scholarship how would that be an NCAA violation? Private entities give scholarships all the time. I would guess that the language of the agreement could not say football (or athletics). If a bunch of walk-ons had these types of scholarships I guess the NCAA would have to investigate but I don't know what they could do.

Doesn't this assume we have more DI talent in our state than we do? or at least more top caliber DI talent?

Why would there ever be a need to move a walk-on to scholarship if this was happening?

I would guess that NU is right up to the line when it comes to recruiting and the NCAA. Most bigger football schools probably are.

If it was that easy to circumvent the 85 scholarship limit don't you think everyone would do it?

I started typing in a response but found this article about a similar scholarship at Alabama that tells me I was wrong about some things, and the rules were a bit looser than I thought.

http://alabama.scout.com/2/226526.html

If it was that easy to circumvent the 85 scholarship limit don't you think everyone would do it?

I started typing in a response but found this article about a similar scholarship at Alabama that tells me I was wrong about some things, and the rules were a bit looser than I thought.

http://alabama.scout.com/2/226526.html

Mack does it by trying to get the track coach to dish out track ship to footballers and to get baseball kids that are drafted to play summer league pro, which would have their pro team paying for their college. Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson did that.