How will Zac Lee perform this fall?

I guess my biggest concern (not that it'll necessarily happen) is that Lee will get happy feet too often early on and end up getting himself hurt. Making the reads when a 235 lb blitzing/snarling linebacker is barreling at you as fast as he can with the intent of seeing you in the hospital is a little different than knowing that Compton or Suh is just going to give your green jersey a little love tap.

But basically I agree with what everyone is saying. The offense is designed so that the quarterback doesn't have to be Tebow. Let Helu do most of the work, you've got McNeil as a safety blanket. Throw it deep when you have the shot. All will be well. I'm sure we'll notice a huge difference from September to November. Plenty of time for that chemistry to develop.

That's a valid enough concern, but it's no different than any other player on the field. Everyone stands a chance of getting injured by that same LB on every play.

After watching LaTravis W in the Spring Game, my concerns over QB depth are lessened quite a bit. If ZLee goes down LWash can take over and move the ball, I have no doubt. Within a few games into the season I think Cody Green could be serviceable as well, and let's not forget Kody Spano, who has quite a bit of talent and all reports say he could (possibly maybe) be available in an emergency sometime this season.

Let's say worse comes to worse, the wheels completely fall off the QB position and EVERYONE gets hurt. I have no doubt whatsoever that we could line up with three TEs, a FB and Helu and Castille in the backfield and go Wildcat all season long, and still score points.

Heck, all we gotta do is get to the 40 yard line and Henery can drop three points on them every time. Easy money. :lol:

I guess my biggest concern (not that it'll necessarily happen) is that Lee will get happy feet too often early on and end up getting himself hurt. Making the reads when a 235 lb blitzing/snarling linebacker is barreling at you as fast as he can with the intent of seeing you in the hospital is a little different than knowing that Compton or Suh is just going to give your green jersey a little love tap.

But basically I agree with what everyone is saying. The offense is designed so that the quarterback doesn't have to be Tebow. Let Helu do most of the work, you've got McNeil as a safety blanket. Throw it deep when you have the shot. All will be well. I'm sure we'll notice a huge difference from September to November. Plenty of time for that chemistry to develop.

I don't think you are necessarily saying this Husker_x, so don't think it's directed at you, but I think its frustrating for people bring up that live game play will be different than the little tap you get when wearing the green jersey.

Granted, the Spring Game is different, but by the time the first game has come around the practices will be made live many times. Lee will have plenty of practice going against a defense that is actually trying to get him as opposed to just touching his shirt. And since we like to run the zone read, he will have probably run that many times in practice by the time game starts so taking hits and avoiding the defense won't be new to him. I have a lot of confidence that Lee is going to be just as good if not better than Ganz.

Zach Lee's performance doesn't have to be outstanding or even very good.

Zach Lee, in essence, needs to channel Trent Dilfer, meaning...just manage the game: hand the ball of to the RB's, don't force any throws that aren't there and when the defense puts the offense on a short field for a score-cash it in, or at a minimum get a FG.

Did they have a sale on H's at the Extra Letter store, Jen? :lol:

Huh??? :blink:

Zach Lee's performance doesn't have to be outstanding or even very good.

Zach Lee, in essence, needs to channel Trent Dilfer, meaning...just manage the game: hand the ball of to the RB's, don't force any throws that aren't there and when the defense puts the offense on a short field for a score-cash it in, or at a minimum get a FG.

Did they have a sale on H's at the Extra Letter store, Jen? :lol:

Huh??? :blink:

He's saying it's Zac Lee, not Zach Lee :thumbs

Zach Lee's performance doesn't have to be outstanding or even very good .

I dont agree with that. And there are a couple of reasons why. Although I think NE will have a respectable D, I dont see them really shutting down anyone. (besides the normal pansies) Even if they take a full TD off pts given up (its possible) that still puts them around 21 pts allowed per game. You wlll not be holding teams to 10 or fewer pts a game unless a miricle happens.

Lets not forget the thing that kept NE sucessful at the end of the year was ball control from a balanced offense. If Lee does not threaten a defense to atleast play him honest, then teams will stack the box. And NE was far from dominant at running. ESPECIALLY when made one dimensional.

I see it as this. IF Lee can be atleast good, then NE has a real chance at success. If he is avg. that chance to be good comes down. If he is anywhere below avg then NE fans will be very disappointed with this season. Ultimately what it boils down to is very simple. If he is good enough to keep teams honest so that NE can run the ball and pass it well enough to get first downs and churn the clock then things will go well. IF you have a lot of short drives and 3 and outs you are in trouble.

Just my $.02

Although Jen I do really agree with one point. Until Lee proves he can be a big playmaker, its imporatant that he not take chances. But he still needs to be good enough to make the tough throws. You dont want 3rd and long to be an automatic punt.

I must say this thread has got me pumped for the season. I have been on the Lee bandwagon since he got here a couple years ago and all has fallen into place. He has the tools, big arm, decent speed lets just hope he has it between the ears and by all accounts of what he did his 1st year in JUCO i would think he does. Now with two years in the system to learn I dont think we have much to worry about. Remember Ganz didnt have much game experience either and he turned out alright.

On another note; I can only imagine that we would all be arguing over who will be the starter had Witt stuck around. Hopefully his departure is a blessing in disguise, leaving us without a QB controversey.

P.S.

Only 6 days till NCAA 10 comes out, then a couple weeks after that practice starts along with my alcohol fasting until the 1st game and then its on. GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t

Fro -- For the most part I agree with what you wrote, but will add that MU faces the same challenges this year. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were talking about the Tigers.

Your right, they are one in the same this year on O. I absolutly agree.

But this is a NE board so I ussually check Tiger talk at the door :lol:

I see no evidence that Helu and Castille are the rebirth of a dominant rushing team.

Zac Lee is going to need to be good in all phases of the game. I have faith in Watson to design game plans that will bring him along as needed. I think it's also entirely possible that neither Helu or Castille is our go-to back by the end of the year. There will be surprises.

I'm really starting to look forward to this season.

I think we may have a tougher time than some think. If I'm a defensive coach and I know that NU is going to rely on the running game because of an inexperienced QB. I would stack the box and make him beat me with his arm. If NU doesn't have an O line that can gel and blow open some holes it won't matter who we have in the backfield. I believe that Watson will have Lee come out and throw more than 50% of the time during our first three games. This would send the message that we can pass as well as have possibly two very good backs. Watson will want to play a few head games with opponents further down the schedule. What better way then to show that we are going to be balanced? Just my .02 worth

If I'm a defensive coach and I know that NU is going to rely on the running game because of an inexperienced QB. I would stack the box and make him beat me with his arm.

I will just about guarantee that you're right, and this is what Schnellenberger is going to do in the FAU game. He'd be crazy not to. Inexperienced QB along with an almost wholesale change in the WR corps, and two experienced RBs in the backfield... yeah, that should be an easy decision. Make ZLee beat you.

I think you nit the nail on the head with the rotation. This is also more than likely the reason Helu didn't make the top 25 backs. He's going to be rotated with more than likely a couple of other guys. He isn't going to get the rep's that it takes to get the stats to be a top 25 running back. It doesn't mean he isn't as good or better than those listed above him. It quite simply means he won't have the stats to run with the big boys.

I think Helu is gonna get #1 RB touches this season. We are gonna run the ball, and Helu is our best overall back. Bo has been very outspoken when talking about Helu and the RB unit.

I see no evidence that Helu and Castille are the rebirth of a dominant rushing team.

I think you might be taking a little bit more out of what some of the posters are saying than what is intended. I for one am definitely not saying we are going to have a great rushing team. We probably never will, given that our offensive isn't being recruited to run block but to be a balanced line. Our perimeter blocking will most likely never be what it was like either. But, given what the coaches have said about Helu and what we have read, he's going to be great this year if he is healthy. He had plenty of opportunities to break runs for touchdowns this year, but his lack of speed hurt him. I mean just check the highlights, he got ankle tackled from behind a lot on runs where he would have been gone save that one tackle.

So, as for evidence, I give you this.

1) Helu and Castille. Returning guys with a lot of PT under the belt.

2) Helu bulked up and sped up according to coaches, Castille lost weight and picked up where he left off.

3) Two years under Cotton will mean the remaining o-line starters will be a lot better at what they do.

Dominant rushing? No. What we hang our offense on this year? Most likely.

The knock on Lee last season was that he wasnt grasping the offense very well but was by far the best athlete and strongest passer at QB. Im not insinuating anything but when Witt left the writing was on the wall IMO.

Somewhere Lee passed him up and Witt knew it IMO.

If he can put it all together, he has the athleticism to be something special.

I think we may have a tougher time than some think. If I'm a defensive coach and I know that NU is going to rely on the running game because of an inexperienced QB. I would stack the box and make him beat me with his arm. If NU doesn't have an O line that can gel and blow open some holes it won't matter who we have in the backfield. I believe that Watson will have Lee come out and throw more than 50% of the time during our first three games. This would send the message that we can pass as well as have possibly two very good backs. Watson will want to play a few head games with opponents further down the schedule. What better way then to show that we are going to be balanced? Just my .02 worth

How many decades did we pretty much only run the ball? How many times did D's line up with 8 in the box only to give us our 3 and 4 yards a crack? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think Nebraska has proven time and time again that we can still pound the rock even with 8 in the box. Tommie Frazier was a true freshman. Everyone stacked the line, but we were still pretty successful. If everyone does their job, we can run on a stacked box just like we always did.