NU vs. Iowa

Forgive me if this has been posted in the past, but I would like to know what you guys think about scheduling Iowa every year as an OOC game. From what I have noticed on other boards, Iowa fans really like to run their mouths, and flame on NU's recent lack of success. There really seems to be a natural rivalry between fan bases, and I wouldn't mind seeing a yearly matchup. Your thoughts?

That would be an ideal yearly game for a number of reasons.

1. Yeah, Iowa fans on message boards run their mouths about almost everything, NU included. For a team that hasn't even whiffed the championship ring of a depressingly weak conference since 2004, a little sobering reality would be helpful. In person, though, Iowa fans are terrific for the most part.

2. Both fan bases travel well, and are connected by I-80.

3. It would be a midwest border war, and far more interesting than that joke series ISU/Iowa in which the Hawks cough it up at Jack Trice every other year.

4. From a Husker standpoint, it's a perfect non-con test game, where although Iowa rarely fields an elite football team, they normally produce something that should be around the top 25, giving Nebraska a good measuring stick before we start conference play.

5. Both fan bases seem to like the idea. I can't speak for all Huskers, but most every Hawk I've talked to warmed to the idea, even if it meant scrapping the ISU game. That tells you something.

There are probably other reasons, but I think those are enough to convince me. An Iowa/Nebraska game even sounds like a cool matchup. It could in time turn into one of those mega rivalries that gets America's heartland rocking and rolling every September.

I would like it to happen, but it wont. Some hawk fans might run their mouths about it, but both their fans and the Iowa admin know that Iowa would end up on the losing end much more often than not. The other is that Iowa doesnt want two locked in games every year. Unless I have my states mixed up, the Iowa legislature has forced Iowa and ISU to play every year, so an actual change to state law would need to be made.

We hit this subject atleast 3 times a year. Unfortunately it wont happen, especially after that home and home series in which we beat them like a red-headed step child. Iowa fans talk about being willing to give up the ISU game to play NU but it is all talk. I cant remember the last time Iowa played a decent OOC opponent besides bowl games and before any Iowa fans come in here and say we dont have a much better OOC schedule, i beg to differ. We always play one big name school in our OOC schedule each year, Iowa fans you consider ISU to be your BCS OOC heavyweight which is laughable. Also, if Iowa chokes it up every other year in Ames to a team we regularly mop the floor with, what exactly would we do to Iowa? It wouldnt be pretty.

I would love the annual game. My father in law is a Hawk fan so it would just add to the trash talking. I can't believe it has been 10 years since this game........

BiRv7J2f7_w

That is one of my favorite runs in NU history. Probably 3rd all time for me. It pretty much summed up the series.

Forgive me if this has been posted in the past, but I would like to know what you guys think about scheduling Iowa every year as an OOC game. From what I have noticed on other boards, Iowa fans really like to run their mouths, and flame on NU's recent lack of success. There really seems to be a natural rivalry between fan bases, and I wouldn't mind seeing a yearly matchup. Your thoughts?

I'd like to see Nebraska play Iowa every year.

I would love the annual game. My father in law is a Hawk fan so it would just add to the trash talking. I can't believe it has been 10 years since this game........

BiRv7J2f7_w

That is one of my favorite runs in NU history. Probably 3rd all time for me. It pretty much summed up the series.

I remember that! Back when we used to take victories over mediocre teams for granted. *Sigh* The good ol' days!

I was always under the impression this didn't happen because Iowa didn't want it to happen. I don't necessarily have a problem playing Iowa every year, but what happens in all those years when they become cupcake status? We're going to give up a big game like VTech or USC for another preseason cupcake game? I'm really not much in favor of that.