Big 12 Championship Game Permanent Home1?!?!?!!?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both teams' schools given an equal amount of tickets to purchase for the game? Is it really a *home field* advantage if nearly half the stadium is cheering for the other team? If memory serves me correctly, when the Big 12 championship game was in San Antonio vs Texas, the Husker fans more than filled their half of the seats in the Alamo Dome.

I say, play the game in the conditions that are most conducive to the players and the fans. Maybe it's because I've lived in Arizona too long, but Dallas sounds like an ideal place to host the game with their new stadium.

What about the five other teams in the North whose fans don't travel like Husker fans? There's still a competitive disadvantage for them, right?

Personally, if you can't get your fan base to travel to the Conference Championship game to see your team earn a BCS Bowl berth, too bad for your team. Although I think that Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, and Colorado would travel well if they have a good enough season. It's called a bandwagon.

They never have before.

Kansas State fans used to travel well, but then again this isn't the point. The Big 12 Championship games isn't a bowl game. Who says the weather and such has to be great? Great weather isn't going to determine whether or not the stadium is full or the media puts the game on TV. Both the game on TV and the stadium full will occur no matter where the game is located. Personally, I don't even think they should have the game.

So sCUm coach Hawk thinks this will give the Big 12 south teams an advantage on the field and in recruiting and that it doesn't bother him. Well it sounds like Dumbo Dan isn't planning on being around Colorado and the Big 12 for much longer.

As for me its a 14/15 hour drive both ways (850 mles). Would probably be a 4 to 5 day trip and with tickets, consessions, parking and hotel rooms thrown in... Well I know I usually spend 5-600 dollars just to go to a game in Lincoln so a trip to Arlington for a game doesn't seem to be in the cards for me and my crew. I've always thought that Arrow Head Stadium in KC seems to fit the bill better.

This just sounds like another power play by our friends from the old SW Conference.

T_O_B

:angry::bang:bang:angry:

So sCUm coach Hawk thinks this will give the Big 12 south teams an advantage on the field and in recruiting and that it doesn't bother him. Well it sounds like Dumbo Dan isn't planning on being around Colorado and the Big 12 for much longer.

As for me its a 14/15 hour drive both ways (850 mles). Would probably be a 4 to 5 day trip and with tickets, consessions, parking and hotel rooms thrown in... Well I know I usually spend 5-600 dollars just to go to a game in Lincoln so a trip to Arlington for a game doesn't seem to be in the cards for me and my crew. I've always thought that Arrow Head Stadium in KC seems to fit the bill better.

This just sounds like another power play by our friends from the old SW Conference.

T_O_B

Your right, and IMO anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves. Last I checked there was still two divisions in the big 12, so why should only one of them get to host the championship game in their own back yard every year? I'm sorry but conceding any more of the competitive and regional advantage to the south teams is a very stupid idea, and one that no Husker fan should be supporting!

Seriously, how do you justify only one group of fans having to travel long distances to attend the game every year. Why shouldn't the south fans (who have more income and population on average) have to shoulder the same financial burden of travel and the added costs associated with it equally with the north teams?

Now keep in mind, I could get to Cowboy stadium, through their absurdly overpriced parking lot, and in my seat in 90 minutes if traffic is light. And I still feel this is a really, REALLY bad thing for any Big 12 North fan.

Seems that T.O was pretty prophetic before the forming of the Big 12. He knew that it would only be a matter of time before the big money in Texas influenced the powers that be in the Big 12 to slowly assert their pull over all things relevant in the conference.

He was adamantly against the forming of the Big 12 and the championship game that would result from the splitting of the conference. He also knew that the north would be at a distinct disadvantage in years to come. Don't kid yourselves, behind closed doors when the cigars are a smokin' and the whiskey is a flowin those good ole boy's in Texas are finagglin' something.

They won't allow the balance of power to ever shift back to the north. I think it's time that the north division get's some stones and starts to raise a little h*** about the way things are starting to slowly unravel. Just my .02 :boxosoap

T_O_B

Your right, and IMO anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves. Last I checked there was still two divisions in the big 12, so why should only one of them get to host the championship game in their own back yard every year? I'm sorry but conceding any more of the competitive and regional advantage to the south teams is a very stupid idea, and one that no Husker fan should be supporting!

Seriously, how do you justify only one group of fans having to travel long distances to attend the game every year. Why shouldn't the south fans (who have more income and population on average) have to shoulder the same financial burden of travel and the added costs associated with it equally with the north teams?

Now keep in mind, I could get to Cowboy stadium, through their absurdly overpriced parking lot, and in my seat in 90 minutes if traffic is light. And I still feel this is a really, REALLY bad thing for any Big 12 North fan.

:yeah

Seems that T.O was pretty prophetic before the forming of the Big 12. He knew that it would only be a matter of time before the big money in Texas influenced the powers that be in the Big 12 to slowly assert their pull over all things relevant in the conference.

He was adamantly against the forming of the Big 12 and the championship game that would result from the splitting of the conference. He also knew that the north would be at a distinct disadvantage in years to come. Don't kid yourselves, behind closed doors when the cigars are a smokin' and the whiskey is a flowin those good ole boy's in Texas are finagglin' something.

They won't allow the balance of power to ever shift back to the north. I think it's time that the north division get's some stones and starts to raise a little h*** about the way things are starting to slowly unravel. Just my .02 :boxosoap

:yeah

Can't believe the North ADs and Chancellor's would allow this to happen.

I've got it. The Dakota Dome in Vermillion SD. That would shut em up.

But this is all about the benjamins. Money rules. Denver from what I am hearing hasn't even been presented the opportunity.

Rotate it. Weather is part of the game and most of these kids dream of playing in the league and the majority of those teams play in the cold. Also this allows the teams to be showcased in multiple areas of recruiting interest. Although Texas is a great start.

Finally keeping it in Dallas involves Jerry Jones and I just can't stand seeing the man and think, what an egocentric douche.

this is what Osborne warned about when the Big 12 was formed, the Texas schools will now have the home field advantage every year in the title game if this happens, i like the idea of rotating between a North site and South site, Arrowhead in KC and Cowboy Stadium in Dallas, every other year in the north, and every other year in the south, oh ya....GO BIG RED!!!

Kansas State fans used to travel well, but then again this isn't the point. The Big 12 Championship games isn't a bowl game. Who says the weather and such has to be great? Great weather isn't going to determine whether or not the stadium is full or the media puts the game on TV. Both the game on TV and the stadium full will occur no matter where the game is located. Personally, I don't even think they should have the game.

I'm in total agreement with you there! The way the conference is aligned you have each team playing 3 teams from the other division. This means you have a 50% chance of the Big 12 Championship game being a rematch. This goes against the argument of many old-timers who don't want to see a playoff system because, "The season is a playoff." Plus, I think rematches in college football aren't all that exciting anyway.

It's also been the case many years where the game just isn't necessary. Often times the two best teams are from the same division anyway. But even so, there has never been a case where the regular season ended and two teams were both undefeated in conference play. Often it's a 3-4 loss team playing a 0-1 loss team. The revenue earned from the conference championship game is probably evened out by the teams who have been screwed out of BCS berths.

Why does this reek of a power play by the Texas teams? I think it gives them a completely unfair advantage during the Big XII championship having it permenantly set in Dallas. Why not alternate it every year between Cowboy Stadium and Arrowhead?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that teams within the Big XII are going to eventually seek another conference. And why not? Who would blame them?

Cons:

It is closer to the South teams.

It is in Texas (although Austin is a 5-hour drive)

It takes the weather out of the game.

It's 3 hours from Norman.

Pros:

Dallas is somewhat central geographically in the Big XII.

It's an 8 hour drive from Omaha, 7 from Lincoln.

It takes the weather out of the game.

There's a lot to do in the Dallas area.

DFW is a hub, so cheaper flights and more non stops.

I'm for continuing the rotation. That way it's in the North territory from time to time, and it ends up in San Antonio from time to time. I have family in San Antonio. And yes, I do believe it's a power thing with the South teams.