Do we have too many screens?

tmfr15

I think we are no where near the end of the multimedia phases at Memorial Stadium. I think we should eventually add identical sky boxes on the east side of the stadium as on the west side. After that we would need to add identical sky boxes to the south stadium as the north stadium. Following completion of those we would then add another Jumbo screen on top of those sky boxes, just like the north stadium. The whole stadium would then be complete. The stadium would be vertical on all sides and be amazing. The crowd noise would have no where to go....it would be LOUD and very INTIMIDATING....the stadium would be HUGE!

I think we are no where near the end of the multimedia phases at Memorial Stadium. I think we should eventually add identical sky boxes on the east side of the stadium as on the west side. After that we would need to add identical sky boxes to the south stadium as the north stadium. Following completion of those we would then add another Jumbo screen on top of those sky boxes, just like the north stadium. The whole stadium would then be complete. The stadium would be vertical on all sides and be amazing. The crowd noise would have no where to go....it would be LOUD and very INTIMIDATING....the stadium would be HUGE!

i like this idea very much.

i like this idea very much.

:dunno

I'm holding out for the flying cars..

jetsons.jpg

To many boxes is the respone I got when I mentioned this after the completion of North. The place seems out of balance. Everything is on East and North.

I suggest adding on to east just like west however instead of skyboxes up top, just add seating. Under the seating you could have the Nebraska Football Hall of fame, and whatever use you can find. I would agree with mirroring South to North, however not sure we need another screen. But it would help with noise. However so would expanding the stadium to 100k which is what I'd like to see done.

Also don't forget the Screen in North is built in such a way it can be added on to seamlessly. Don't quote me on exact specs but I believe the screen is actually 6 screens, 2 high and 3 wide and it can be added to 4 high and 6 wide.......

i brought this up last year and got a little flack for it...I think after going to games as a kid (mid 80's) and now that the jumbo trons definetly add to the overall experience, but I think it surely takes away from fan camaraderie in the stands cuz there's always a few people with their necks craned to see some stupid ad or helmet race or a replay from 3 plays ago...

If they used them only for replays of questionable or spectacular plays, for staticstics, or as a crowd hype(tunnel walk, short yardage) I wouldn't have a problem with them so much...but inbetween quarters and timeouts to be running some stupid ad for a carpet company or something just makes the crowd lose their chants, the band lose their playing time, and it feel more like i'm sitting in my living room.

I like the size and noise it adds, but sometimes it is a distraction

To many boxes is the respone I got when I mentioned this after the completion of North. The place seems out of balance. Everything is on East and North.

I suggest adding on to east just like west however instead of skyboxes up top, just add seating. Under the seating you could have the Nebraska Football Hall of fame, and whatever use you can find. I would agree with mirroring South to North, however not sure we need another screen. But it would help with noise. However so would expanding the stadium to 100k which is what I'd like to see done.

Also don't forget the Screen in North is built in such a way it can be added on to seamlessly. Don't quote me on exact specs but I believe the screen is actually 6 screens, 2 high and 3 wide and it can be added to 4 high and 6 wide.......

Nice sig... <_<

I totally agree... it would be so loud, it really could affect the course of games.

Thank God we get to see a couple of night games out of the gate. You know they have something slick planned for the 300th sellout. I think that is going to be the best test for the new additions since the house should be rockin!

i brought this up last year and got a little flack for it...I think after going to games as a kid (mid 80's) and now that the jumbo trons definetly add to the overall experience, but I think it surely takes away from fan camaraderie in the stands cuz there's always a few people with their necks craned to see some stupid ad or helmet race or a replay from 3 plays ago...

If they used them only for replays of questionable or spectacular plays, for staticstics, or as a crowd hype(tunnel walk, short yardage) I wouldn't have a problem with them so much...but inbetween quarters and timeouts to be running some stupid ad for a carpet company or something just makes the crowd lose their chants, the band lose their playing time, and it feel more like i'm sitting in my living room.

I like the size and noise it adds, but sometimes it is a distraction

I couldn't agree more. I am probably about your age and I what I remember most back in those days were the d-fense chants and excessive crowd noise. The D-fense chants would carry until the whole stadium would be pulsing and they would last for ever. It was so intimidating. I loved it. Nowdays it seems like everytime a chant gets going it is just drowned out by the p a announcer and everyone is distracted by the jumbo tron. Like you said, I am all for technology adding to the experience, but too often they try to make it the experience. I am sure advertising has a lot to do with that and it will never change. I am convinced that if we used our boards and speaker systems in the way you suggested we would be the loudest, most intimidating stadium in the country. You still see it every once in a while, like the Colorado game last year, when we are really in a battle and finally the fans say F - it, we are going to drown out the speaker system. It is far too rare that it does happen, however.

If it gets to the point where it physically blocks the game, then it's a problem. And if they start circling the entire stadium with them that's a problem too. However, I think we have the perfect amount. Now everybody, no matter where they are sitting, can see a screen clearly. There were some places in the stadium that, if you happened to be sitting there, you either had to crane your neck to see a screen or you had to look really far away. This negates that now.

Plus, if you happen to be sitting in the North or South stadium, it is very hard to tell what the difference is between a 2 yard gain and a 6 yard gain when watching the play. The screens allow us to see how far the team went on that particular play, and I think it's really nice to able to know that.

Agreed. Being near the top of north stadium it was difficult to see replays, or even some action on the other end of the field, and I am 26 years old. The two screens were GREATLY needed. As far as the ribbon boards...my jury is still out until after I see them in action in person.

Agreed. If anything, the ribbon boards are the things that may end up being too much.

Does anybody know what is going to be on the ribbon boards? Will it be advertisements or player stats or what? I've only been to a stadium that ribbon boards once and it was quite awhile ago, so I don't remember.

Funny how we've evolved.

I remember the reception on the new 19" console color TV going bad in the '71 "game of the century" every time there was a great play 'cause me or my two older brothers jumped around the living room hollerin' ...then would only come back when we returned to our previous spots..and seemed like it was always my job to hold the tin-foil at a two-o'clock position while standing on my right hind-leg and touching the tip of the antenna with my other hand.

Or the Saturday afternoons at the vacant lot at the end of the block with a dozen other kids with each of our transistor radios turned up full blast on both sideline (birth of surround sound?) and trying to re-enact each play between NU plays...Or playing "Smear the Queer" durring halftime.

I finally went to the Cardinals stadium for the AZ 5A championship game last season with my Son..with the fancy ribbon screens and the jumbo tron thingie..But the majority of the people in the stands ignored it all so they could text their neighbors.