cody green is very unlikely to play a down this season imo...

He is our number 2 quarterback, he will not be redshirting. I'm not sure why this is so hard to fiqure out. He isn't the last QB in the stable, it will be okay if he plays this year.

:yeah

Seriously, if they really cared about Green getting a redshirt he would NOT BE THE #2 BACK. The #2 QB is the guy who comes in when the #1 comes out. They're not just going to skip over Green and play Latravis if Green gives them the best chance to win.

Think about it. Let's say it's a big game, a la the Oklahoma game, and it's OU 35 NU 30 with 2 minutes left to go and Zac Lee just broke his arm. Cody Green is still the #2 quarterback and LW is #3. The coaches know Green is a better quarterback than LW. Do any of you really think they'll throw LW in there just to save Green's redshirt? No way in hell. They're going to play to win now. They're not going to shun the game and say "oh well it's over" just to save a redshirt.

And if we are up 49-0 on FAU this weekend, do we play Green and burn his RS for that sake? That argument swings both ways.

The only thing that gives me a ton of reservation in this thing is if we try to give Green a series here and there throughout games. The flow of the offense can go into the gutter really quick with this mindset.

Since he is the number 2 QB on the roster he will play this year. I want him to play this year and a great way to get experience is playing in the 1st game. Also I don't think Bo would play the starting QB the whole game, for first game of the year.

Ganz played the whole opening game last year. We were up by 20 or more the entire second half. And Ganz already had 3 full games under his belt from the previous year. Lee just had a few snaps last year.

I agree that Green will play, and I'll take it one step further. What I'd love to see the coaches do is give him a series in the first half and groom him even more for these types of situations. As much as I hate to say it that was the best thing Pinkel did at Mizzou was get Daniels very meaningful reps when Brad Smith was there to prepare him for Big XII play and his future. This will only enhance his experience and season him for the future. Why are so many people scared of having a much more experienced Cody Green competing with Lee next year for the start. These people want great competition at every position like the OU's, USC's and Florida's of the world to make our team better except at QB. What gives. :dunno

I understand what you're saying, BUT Brad Smith was a returning starter who already had a ton of meaningful game reps. Therefore he was able to coach Daniel as you suggest.

Lee is in the same situation as Green, neither has meaningful game reps. Why would the coaches expect him to coach Green when he's trying to get acclimated as well?

i see what you are saying and you are correct..."put the best player on the field and keep developing the promising ones" but imo that means keep your best player on the field, much as we did joey ganz last season, and keep developing the promising ones in practice!

how many of you people were thinking we would see more of the second string qb last year? ans: most of you!

it didnt happen last year so why would it happen this season?

He is our number 2 quarterback, he will not be redshirting. I'm not sure why this is so hard to fiqure out. He isn't the last QB in the stable, it will be okay if he plays this year.

:yeah

Seriously, if they really cared about Green getting a redshirt he would NOT BE THE #2 BACK. The #2 QB is the guy who comes in when the #1 comes out. They're not just going to skip over Green and play Latravis if Green gives them the best chance to win.

Think about it. Let's say it's a big game, a la the Oklahoma game, and it's OU 35 NU 30 with 2 minutes left to go and Zac Lee just broke his arm. Cody Green is still the #2 quarterback and LW is #3. The coaches know Green is a better quarterback than LW. Do any of you really think they'll throw LW in there just to save Green's redshirt? No way in hell. They're going to play to win now. They're not going to shun the game and say "oh well it's over" just to save a redshirt.

And if we are up 49-0 on FAU this weekend, do we play Green and burn his RS for that sake? That argument swings both ways.

The only thing that gives me a ton of reservation in this thing is if we try to give Green a series here and there throughout games. The flow of the offense can go into the gutter really quick with this mindset.

I think you do. The moment Shawn Watson elevated Cody Green up to the back up spot, he pretty much told us that Green's redshirt isn't going to happen.

i see what you are saying and you are correct..."put the best player on the field and keep developing the promising ones" but imo that means keep your best player on the field, much as we did joey ganz last season, and keep developing the promising ones in practice!

how many of you people were thinking we would see more of the second string qb last year? ans: most of you!

it didnt happen last year so why would it happen this season?

And when Joe Ganz went down in the Gator Bowl how many of us held our collective breath? All of us. I don't think the Coaches did enough last season to ensure they had a game ready back up QB just in case. I would think they would want to change that this season because you just don't know, KNOCKS ON WOOD!!!! I really like Lee, I think he will be a stud for 2 FULL YEARS. That being said with Lee's past injury history and the QB runs that we run quite a bit, do you really feel secure that Lee will be 100% healthy this year (KNOCKS ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!)? Bigwillie indicated reservations in getting the back up snaps early in the game, I think that has some merit but it has been done before effectively. Either way, if Lee goes down, KNOCKS ON WOOD!!!, getting LTW the mop up snaps means that the TRUE back up QB is less ready than he could be to give this team a chance to win.

Bo said in a recent interview that, "we will play our starter at qb until something is wrong, i have confidence in zac" or something along those lines.

unless we lose lee then there is no reason to burn a redshirt for green. if it were lees senior year then yeah by all means let green play but lee is a junior and will be back next season. so why waste greens redshirt when he will in all likelyhood not be starting for two years? that will leave us with another 2 year starter when we could have a 3 year starter!

i for one will be kind of dumbfounded if we burn his redshirt especially when we have washington that can also run the offense and if green is ahead as has beed said i doubt it is by that much!

i know most people want them to burn the redshirt........but why? explain to me why thats a good idea?

The answer is simple...Playing Time. Why would we need to save Green this year when we have Gabbert coming in next year? Plus, we still have Spano. I say play as many as you can, before the log jam causes the QB's to transfer to other schools for playing time.

i guess we shall see....i just think that unless there is a major injury to lee then we should save his mop up duty til next season......

But what if there is a major injury to Lee around game 7 or 8 and Green has no game experience because they were putting Washington in to preserve Green's redshirt? I would much rather Green get the experience when it is time for him to take charge than go into the game with nothing...and not redshirting him is a risk I'm willing to take to give him as much experience as possible.

If Green is the #2 qb than he should see action at some point. If he were the #3 qb than you would no he would redshirt for sure. Since he is the #2 qb he will play at some point this year. You have to get over the redshirt deal. It all comes down to what you can do on Saturday anyway not what you do in practice. If NU has a comfortable lead than put in the #2 qb and right now that is Green. He is the #2 qb for a reason. This game and the way things are now is you have to win now. Whoever is the #2 qb should expect to see action during the season. You risk stupid injuries if you leave Lee in wwhen the game is out of hand. Put in the backup which is why you have one. Even if the game is out of hand and your just leaving Lee in there to handoff the football you are still risking Lee for a stupid injury like a ankle injury or a big o linemen stepping on his feet or something of that nature.

IF NU WANTED TO REDSHIRT GREEN HE WOULD NOT BE THE #2 QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!