Is Suh the best D player ever to come out of Nebraska?

Husker66

DT Suh has impressive versatility

Friday, October 9, 2009 | Print Entry

Posted by Kevin Weidl

The performance of Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh in Thursday's 27-12 win over Missouri is a perfect example of why we continue to fall in love with his game.

Suh was extremely disruptive all night, using strength and leverage to consistently control blockers against both the run and the pass. He is a heavy-handed player with a violent initial punch to knock blockers back, and Suh knows how to use his to keep blockers off his frame and disengage quickly to make the play.

He showed all those skills on a single play early in the first quarter. On second-and-19 from the Missouri 34-yard line, Suh engaged and quickly shed a blocker and used his relentless motor to chase down Tigers QB Blaine Gabbert from behind and strip the ball. Nebraska recovered the fumble, and while the ensuing drive ended in a punt, the play itself was impressive.

ESPN Insider

:clap

I know there is a lot of hype about Suh right now, but after watching 35 years of Nebraska football, I think he might be one of, if not the best, defensive players to ever come out of Nebraska . And that is saying a lot!

many had his motor and ability to get through the line, but when you look at the pass blocks, interceptions, first DT to lead the team in tackles in 35 years in 08 and probably again in 09, sacks, athleticism, receptions(last year against KS)etc. etc. he is probably also the best DT I can remember on any team. I really think he has shown a new dimension that no one has ever considered possible. about the onlything left to do is line him up at WR and hit him on a deep route. at this point, it would not surprise me(tongue in cheek). I listened to a lot of sports radio in Missouri yesterday, and to the man, woman and child radio show host and

mizzou callers said they are in absolute awe of him.

And I think you have to give a lot of credit to the Pelini brothers. Wonder where Suh would be if they had not come along. words do not describe what he is doing right now.

Beyond his insane skill set I believe the thing I like to see when I watch him is the leadership by example. He is a beast but he also never gives up on a play, I don't know how many times this year people have been run down from behind by one of our D Lineman, but I notice it far more this year then in recent history.

The fact that he is such a beast physically is one thing but the fact that he NEVER STOPS is far more impressive in my eyes cause that is about character not just ability.

When I look @ what Pelini defenses have done for DLineman recently (Glenn Dorsey @ LSU and now Suh) I think we are in good hands once Suh starts playing on Sundays, but god I am gonna miss him.

let's see how he does the rest of the season, i'm not too confident i can claim him best D player at Nebraska, there have been too many good defensive players to count. Terrell Farley, Chris Kelsay, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, Demorrio Williams, anyone else want to add any. In my mind Suh right now would not be in the top3,4,5 best NU D players, maybe top 10,15. but to each his own, im just giving my opinion.

I just had this conversation with a group of guys this past week. I said that I thought Suh was possibly the best "D-lineman" to ever play at NU. The guys argued their case, and I know all about the Wistroms, Peters, Tomich, Ruckers, etc....on and on and on........

My number one reason that I believe that Suh could "possibly" be the best D-lineman is the fact that he doesn't have the supporting cast around him that these other studs had...... Suh is flanked by a redshirt freshman DT, an average DE in Allen and another DE coming off of a broken leg. Let's not forget that the LB's behind him are the youngest in the Big 12......... The other guys I mentioned were surrounded by other NFL caliber players, in their "prime" at NU..... Suh is doing all of his stuff while being double teamed, and there are many other areas on the field to attack........ Put this guy on the teams of the 80-90's with the talent around him, and watch out....

Just my opinion.... and I am very old enough to not only remember those other guys, but also probably watched every game they played, so I am not just wearing the "rose colored Suh glasses".

Mike Brown: Best Blackshirt ever (thought I would throw that in).

I just had this conversation with a group of guys this past week. I said that I thought Suh was possibly the best "D-lineman" to ever play at NU. The guys argued their case, and I know all about the Wistroms, Peters, Tomich, Ruckers, etc....on and on and on........

My number one reason that I believe that Suh could "possibly" be the best D-lineman is the fact that he doesn't have the supporting cast around him that these other studs had...... Suh is flanked by a redshirt freshman DT, an average DE in Allen and another DE coming off of a broken leg. Let's not forget that the LB's behind him are the youngest in the Big 12......... The other guys I mentioned were surrounded by other NFL caliber players, in their "prime" at NU..... Suh is doing all of his stuff while being double teamed, and there are many other areas on the field to attack........ Put this guy on the teams of the 80-90's with the talent around him, and watch out....

Just my opinion.... and I am very old enough to not only remember those other guys, but also probably watched every game they played, so I am not just wearing the "rose colored Suh glasses".

Mike Brown: Best Blackshirt ever (thought I would throw that in).

excellent point HANC. He just seems to do as much as those guys with 1/4 the the supporting cast. I also do not remember them pulling off their blocks and deciding to knock down and intercept passes on a routine basis. No matter what you think, he is special and fun to watch.

let's see how he does the rest of the season, i'm not too confident i can claim him best D player at Nebraska, there have been too many good defensive players to count. Terrell Farley, Chris Kelsay, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, Demorrio Williams, anyone else want to add any. In my mind Suh right now would not be in the top3,4,5 best NU D players, maybe top 10,15. but to each his own, im just giving my opinion.

I have no argument whatsoever with your list, but since you asked if anyone wanted to add someone...

Mike Rucker, Mike Minter, Fabian Washington, Grant Wistrom, Christian Peter, John Parella, Neil Smith, Pat Fisher, Keyou Craver, Bret Clark, Rich Glover, Trev Alberts, Tom Novak, Michael Booker, Tyrone Williams....just to add a few (I realize there are more). But your list is a good one, and this is not to say that Suh is NOT better than any of them...it is just so hard to pick the BEST.

The thing that gets me about Suh is that he seems to be everywhere on the field all of the time. Heck, you might even see him chasing someone down downfield and tackling him from behind. How many linemen do that?

I remember a lot of dominant guys over the years, but based on raw talent, Suh might just be in a class of his own. It just makes me sick that he didn't get 4 years in the Pelini system, because he's nowhere near his peak yet--and he's freakin' awesome. I can see how people can make a case for him, but it is so hard to compare. We've had some awesome defensive players.