All of your negativity...

NoDoubt

My point is is that I would now want to play for a team in which the fan base so quickly turns on their players and coaches.

Calm yourself. Nobody has turned on anybody. The offense turned in a terrible performance and caught some heat for it. That's all that's going on here.

Look around the landscape of college football, and see how many other fan bases are having nearly identical conversations about their programs as we're having about ours after this loss. The VT fans are doing it, all the Sun Belt teams we played this year did it after we beat them, Missouri did it, the Oklahoma message boards were awash in agony after their first loss and bitter at the world after loss #2, and I don't even want to look at them after losing the Red River Shootout. USC fans were upset about their loss to Washington, and even some of the Florida fans I've talked to have been upset about their drop in the polls this week, and they're worried about developing Tebow's backup.

If you look at Nebraska's situation in a vacuum, I can see why you might think things are bad here. They're not great, sure, but they're no different than most any other fan base out there right now. Everyone gripes, everyone boos in their stadium sometimes, everyone's recruits hear all this stuff, and yet somehow, each team fills out a roster full of recruits every year.

The sun will rise tomorrow and it'll be OK.

Typically, you're always trying to say how we're so much better than other fan bases. Then, you hit us with this little gem comparing us to at least 7 others. Booing isn't good, but I agree that we don't want players coming here that can't take a little booing. The most disappointed I've ever been in our fan base was the first home game in 95' when the fans booed as TO took Frazier out and put Berringer in the game. It was uncalled for. However, I'll get back on topic. I highly doubt the media, message boards, and booing at the game has much influence as to whether or not a recruit decides he wants to come here. Most of the highly touted recruits see college football as nothing more than a springboard to the NFL. I'd say Suh being drafted as high as maybe #1 will do more for our recruiting than anything else. If this staff can show consistency in getting players drafted, our recruiting will get better and better.

This kind of stuff happens at all the big schools. I dont see recruiting hurting Florida, Texass, Michigan, USC, or Notre Shame for that matter. I think we have a real issue that needs to be addressed in regards to recruiting. We only have 9 commits so far and that is before our recruiting was allegedly being hurt by the fans. We should have twice that many by the beginning of the season. If we fill out this class with nothing but leftovers that should be playing D-2, we are going to be looking for a new coach in 3 years.

Really? Our recruiting is going to be fine. You're going to look silly if someone brings this post up on signing day.

Division 2. Ha.

This kind of stuff happens at all the big schools. I dont see recruiting hurting Florida, Texass, Michigan, USC, or Notre Shame for that matter. I think we have a real issue that needs to be addressed in regards to recruiting. We only have 9 commits so far and that is before our recruiting was allegedly being hurt by the fans. We should have twice that many by the beginning of the season. If we fill out this class with nothing but leftovers that should be playing D-2, we are going to be looking for a new coach in 3 years.

I don't see the recruiting class this year as a problem. Other schools have alot more recruits, but it's because they will have MORE scholarships available. We don't have many seniors leaving this year, and therefore, our recruiting class will be much smaller this year. Recruiting websites base their recruiting ranking on the number of points. Obviously, if you have more recruits in your class, you will have more points and a higher ranking. As far as these rankings go, this puts Nebraska at a disadvantage.

If you look at it based on average star ranking of each athlete - which is quality over quantity - Nebraska has an average of 3.22. This is on par with teams like: Alabama, Oklahoma, Miami, VT, Notre Dame, USC, & Florida.

It's all relative. I would look at any recruiting class and look at the quality rather than the quantity in deciding whether it is "good" or not. Furthermore, it is hard for us - and recruiting websites - to factor in how well each player will play in any given system and how well they are coached. I don't make much about the recruiting websites or stars for this reason.

Sorry to get off subject.

Typically, you're always trying to say how we're so much better than other fan bases. Then, you hit us with this little gem comparing us to at least 7 others.

If there's a point here, you're not making it very well. And you're putting more into my statements about our fans than is there, but I guess it helps you to denigrate what I'm saying. Whatever.

I'm humbled that you took the time to respond to my little gem. :thumbs

I agree that so many factors make a differnce in how a recruit decides on a program that message boards or booing is so far down the list it is meaningless.

Truly great prospects, Five Star type athletes are not likely coming to our program which iis not an elite program these days. For the most part with the occasional exception phenoms are going to big time programs and if not to a state school or a school where a family member has great influence on their decision. These kids will have offers from all the big schools--and will be able to pick from the Fla, USC, Tejas Oklahoma, Notre Dame (don't ask me why?). They rarely go to a non elite program unless it is their state school.

So we are looking to get the most 4 star and there will be a few of those and most of our class will be 3 star and a few lower recruits.

Of that group, the lower ranked recruits in the mid to lower 3 star category are likely to see Nebraska as their best bet--with other offers coming from schools that would likely not be as much of a name as Nebraska. They will sign when offered.

With the 4s and the high 3's there is a whole lot of factors that come into play.

1) Does the kid worry about hitting the field. Although these are confident young men when you look at a 4 * or high 3* getting an offer from say Oklahoma and they look at the 4* and 5* talent in their class and the freshman class at that school, they might have some concern about not hitting the field.

This may indeed bite us as far as Gabbert is concerned if Green takes over and does even moderately well this season and improves as the season goes along. It would seem likely barring injury that Green would be entrenched for 3 years. And our lack of talent at wide reciever has to be of some concern to a throwing QB. In that scenario I don't see Gabbert coming here.

On the other hand some of the wide recievers might take a look at this bunch and say "I can do that well" and expect to play early on. so in that case our ineptitude in wideout play might attract a reciever. But then they worry about a change in the offense to downplay the passing game and have more of an option type running game with Helu, Burhead and Green.

The overall program:-- If a recruit sees the program as rising or very stable as a winning team they will feel more secure about a commit. If there is evidence that the wheels are coming off the program a recruit might worry that the personnel recruiting him-position coach or head coach might be in trouble of being replaced. I don't think that is a problem to this point but a few more losses will give some kids pause. If a new OC is brought in to change the offense, that would perhaps upset some of them. Illinois is a good example. They seemed to be really excited with Zook and he recruited a bunch of talent. They went to a Rose bowl and then they had some "okay" years and still recruited very well. Now the wheels are falling off and although I don't follow Illinois fans or sites, I am sure that Zook is under a lot of pressure to be removed. Recruiting there would be very tough I think and a lot of kids will probably switch.

Really? Our recruiting is going to be fine. You're going to look silly if someone brings this post up on signing day.

Division 2. Ha.

For NU's sake i hope i look like a jackass. :nanalama

If someone already touched on this...I DONT CARE, I can't read anymore of these negative posts.

How does is look to recruits when after one game, people are calling for the coaches/players heads? I even saw some jackass with a fire Watso sign in his yard...I bet that kind of garbage is very comforting to offensive recruits. It was Texas Tech, one year removed from their best team ever, not Fla Atlantic. And we had so many missed opportunities, and they got so lucky...in fact I think both our losses can be partially blamed on receivers not catching balls.

Oh yea, we were booing the Refs not the team or BO, I was siting right there.

PS, I have the flu and I can barely make it to the couch to type a message, those kids PLAYED FOOTBALL like this in the pouring rain, and all we do is bitch and complain.

Go Bo

Go Cody

Go Big Red

:facepalm: Seriously?

“Front-Butt” Weis is on the hot-seat and so far it hasn’t hurt his recruiting. OU fans have been calling for Brent Venables head since Mike Stoops left and they still bring in recruits. Ron Zook could recruit the crap out of players at Florida and he was constantly on the hot-seat with plenty of booing. Paterno was too old at one point and they have brought in some solid classes after that and have a nice one going this year. Have you seen the class Texas A&M has going so far this year? There is all kinds of negativity surrounding Mike Sherman but his still has 20 “commitments”. Mark Richt is hearing it at Georgia and they are alright so far.

People can blame the low numbers or whatever on the negativity surrounding NU right now but other well known programs have/are managing in similar situations.

But please people, if fans next to you are booing or calling out players politely have the people around you tell them to stop it. It has always not been tolerated by most of the fans in Memorial Stadium. And fans need to tell those that are doing it to stop! I cringe when IU hear the refs being booed as the same refs will be back at another game and why make them remember the nasty boos from Husker fans. Booing and heckling have no place in Memorial Stadium and the fans should not tolerate that from any Husker fans.

What are you talking about? People were screaming for Osborne to be fired in the late 70s. I can't tell you how many times I heard people calling for McBride's head in the late 80s. There were boos, there were shouts, there were angry gestures.

People seem to want to create this idyllic scene of Memorial Stadium in those glorious days of Yore that is based on nothing close to reality. We had a LOT of struggles, especially in the 80s and early 90s, when the game was passing Osborne & Co. by and they weren't adjusting. They finally adjusted and the late 90s happened, and now everyone wants to paint the Osborne Era as this glorious time of content fans and dominating teams. It wasn't like that. Pretending it was doesn't help our current situation.

:yeah It irritates the sh#t out of me when people complain about booing in Memorial stadium. What's funny... and I know Knapplc, you've touched on this, is that all these people that "don't boo" when they're at the games talk just as much sh#t to their friends and family about how badly the huskers are playing at certain times.

Of course we didn't boo in the 90s because there was NOTHING TO BOO ABOUT. But yes, as Knapplc said, EVERYONE wanted Osborne gone in the late 70s and 80s because he "couldn't win the big one". People are people, and when something is irritating, it's going to be expressed. Just because we wear a red t-shirt to Memorial Stadium and cheer on our favorite team does NOT mean that we have to just accept everything that goes on with a smile on our face. Booing shows the displeasure with the performance. What, are we supposed to cheer the team off the field when they go three and out for the 10th consecutive time and have 29 yards of offense and it is damn near half time?

Some people need to step down off their high horse and realize that the only thing that is "special" about the fans in Nebraska is our undying loyalty. The 301 sellouts is unmatched. Other than that, we don't have to sugarcoat our feelings and act like we're babysitting the other team (or our team for that matter) when there are games here. :hellloooo

Can negativity by fans and media (like message boards and radio) affect recruiting.

I don't know what the possible effect is, but we still operate under 1st Amendment rights, even on HuskerBoard. People are going to say what they are going to say, that is what the board is for. I do wish people would think before they use a commit or recruits name and say something like, "I hope the guy decommits so we can get so and so." If a kid sees that, it would have to have a negative impact. Yes, some recruiting guru's and self proclaimed professional scouts have lacked the common sense to avoid such stupidity on this board. The coaches are trying to get the best players they can and if it is a 6ft quarterback who only throws for 150yds a game in high school, then that is who it is. Sometimes kids recommit to a school after pledging at a second school, but I'm sure it is made harder if the kid comes on here and sees "good riddance loser."