Wow!!!!

macroboy

I hope Watson leaves for that head coaching job after this season and I hope he takes his buddies Cotton and Gilmore. We are now going to be nine games into the season and we still don't know what our offense is, who to use at WR, and what is the best mix on the o-line. Sorry, but that is unacceptable.

Watson's little weak system makes me want to throw up. "Take what the defense gives us". Shut up. Another way to say that is, "We don't do anything really good, but we can do everything below average."

This offense is a joke and the only reason it was good last year is because we had a bunch of leaders who had been in the system for ever. It's time for a change.

I hope Watson leaves for that head coaching job after this season and I hope he takes his buddies Cotton and Gilmore. We are now going to be nine games into the season and we still don't know what our offense is, who to use at WR, and what is the best mix on the o-line. Sorry, but that is unacceptable.

Watson's little weak system makes me want to throw up. "Take what the defense gives us". Shut up. Another way to say that is, "We don't do anything really good, but we can do everything below average."

This offense is a joke and the only reason it was good last year is because we had a bunch of leaders who had been in the system for ever. It's time for a change.

In other words, you'd like to take what we want. So we'll stubbornly run the same thing regardless if the defense is stuffing 8-9 guys in the box or not. I mean, really? "Take what the defense gives us" is incredibly prevalent in football. I have no idea why you think it's so fundamentally wrong.

I thought I heard this when I was listening on the radio. Looks like Bo gave a quick look and was about to say something, but held off.

I don't know, but it seems like last year there were a lot more completions over the middle with crossing routes with the TE and slants. Seems like those work pretty well. Cody can fire the ball in there pretty well on those slants. Plus he has the height to get it over the line. It just seems like this year we changed a bit. I have faith that Watson can get it done...I mean he has in the past. The screens will work at certain times, but I'd like to see some 10-15 yard plays over the middle. We obviously have those plays in the playbook...we used them last year. Combine those with deep shots, and we'll be good as far as the passing game goes. The line is the problem with the running game. Kinda slow off the ball. We'll need it fixed for next week. I think it'll get done though.

I have been thinking this all year. Where are the TE drag routes over the middle and the crossing routes down field? I remember a few games in the past we did these things and the other team's D couldn't stop them. We just ran the same kind of stuff that was working and it worked all game. But I definitely think we are not using the middle of the field like we should or as much as we did in the past. We throw way too much to the boundary and defenses are too fast to do that now. Neutralize the speed with crossing routes and routes over the middle.

I thought I heard this when I was listening on the radio. Looks like Bo gave a quick look and was about to say something, but held off.

I don't know, but it seems like last year there were a lot more completions over the middle with crossing routes with the TE and slants. Seems like those work pretty well. Cody can fire the ball in there pretty well on those slants. Plus he has the height to get it over the line. It just seems like this year we changed a bit. I have faith that Watson can get it done...I mean he has in the past. The screens will work at certain times, but I'd like to see some 10-15 yard plays over the middle. We obviously have those plays in the playbook...we used them last year. Combine those with deep shots, and we'll be good as far as the passing game goes. The line is the problem with the running game. Kinda slow off the ball. We'll need it fixed for next week. I think it'll get done though.

I have been thinking this all year. Where are the TE drag routes over the middle and the crossing routes down field? I remember a few games we did these things and the other team's D couldn't stop them. We just ran the same kind of stuff that was working and it worked all game. But I definitely think we are not using the middle of the field like we should or as much as we did in the past. We throw way too much to the boundary and defenses are too fast to do that now. Neutralize the speed with crossing routes and routes over the middle.

exactly we have excellent tight ends! yet we don't use them as we should be.

Yeah that kind of comment isn't warranted. It's a press conference. It is interrupting and rude. I mean it's not illegal or anything but that doesn't make it ok just that there's no punishment for it.

Well when you are doing an interview in a crowded hallway full of Husker fans who are tired of a pathetic offense, you can't expect all of them to be sober and polite...

Considering that Watson, just like his mentor, doesn't call plays that are to the strength(s) of his players is why the play calling is a huge issue in Lincoln.

Huh. He played to the strengths (and generally avoided the weaknesses) of Zac Taylor, Marlon Lucky, Brandon Jackson, Nate Swift, Joe Ganz, Quentin Castille and the healthy Roy Helu, Jr.

Come to think of it, Taylor and Ganz set records throwing passes to a fairly undistinguished corps of receivers. And it's not like Taylor and Ganz were considered blue chip studs themselves. He inherited Lucky, who really couldn't hit a hole very well, and made him into an offensive threat anyway.

Anyway, Vince, what are the strengths of the players on this team that me and Watson are missing?

And what's your call?

Also, when certain receivers seem to go missing from the game, it's not always because the OC refuses to call his number. A lot of times it's a chemistry and comfort thing with the quarterback.

Mo Purify was our big game receiver when Sam Keller was quarterback, but Keller never seemed to find him. Keller goes down, Ganz takes over, and suddenly he and Purify are on a wavelength. Same guy was calling the plays.

I suspect Cody Green will have different favorite receivers than Zac Lee.

at the end of the press confrence did you guys see tom osborn in the last couple seconds in the back againts the fence... haha he is just watching bo making sure he is behaving!!!! thought that was kinda funny :laughpound good job huskers!!!

I think Tom has been "in the room" on the last few press conferences.

He is definitely watching and making sure Bo doesn't blow up toward the media like earlier in the year.

Something else though, Tom is watching the offense and you can believe he has been talking to Bo about the offense in a "suggestion" sort of way.

I doubt he has talked to Watts, unless Watts came to see him with Bo's blessing.

That's kind of a chain of command thing that TO won't breach.

So, what Bo needs to do is call Watts in to his office and tell him to march over to TO's office and ask for some suggestions.

Just my opinion.

Thanks,

Huck

Yeah that kind of comment isn't warranted. It's a press conference. It is interrupting and rude. I mean it's not illegal or anything but that doesn't make it ok just that there's no punishment for it.

Well when you are doing an interview in a crowded hallway full of Husker fans who are tired of a pathetic offense, you can't expect all of them to be sober and polite...

But is it the right thing to do? I don't know. It's not constructive criticism. I just feel like it's a waste of effort to insult your own people like that. It's one thing behind our forum doors, it's another right there. I don't see how being mean helps the situation. Now if the guy wants to yell "stop throwing that screen pass!" that's fine with me.

at the end of the press confrence did you guys see tom osborn in the last couple seconds in the back againts the fence... haha he is just watching bo making sure he is behaving!!!! thought that was kinda funny :laughpound good job huskers!!!

I think Tom has been "in the room" on the last few press conferences.

He is definitely watching and making sure Bo doesn't blow up toward the media like earlier in the year.

Something else though, Tom is watching the offense and you can believe he has been talking to Bo about the offense in a "suggestion" sort of way.

I doubt he has talked to Watts, unless Watts came to see him with Bo's blessing.

That's kind of a chain of command thing that TO won't breach.

So, what Bo needs to do is call Watts in to his office and tell him to march over to TO's office and ask for some suggestions.

Just my opinion.

Thanks,

Huck

Actually one of the media guys stated they saw shawn and Tom sitting down after the game chatting.