Year 2 Under Bo: Why Aren't We Getting Better?

IMO if we are not going to lend him some off the blame for what the team has done this year then how can he be credited for what was done last year. Mind you I will go on the record saying I am not a Bo guy. The one thing I will say if he knew exactly where this team was. As fans we assumed championship. Bo knew that the offense was inept and the D line (not defense) is dominant.

Before I get crushed we do not blitz becuase our D Line can get pressure without it and that's great. But every time the defense is unable to get pressure and the ball is thrown please tell me you are not holding your breath and just hoping some one is there. It always seem like the wr are open both crossing the middle and over the top. Once the ball is passed it's either their receiver's cant catch the ball or QB overthrows them. Our LB and Secondary are usually steps behind the receivers.

I disagree, there are alot of times where our safeties are all over the player over the top and knock the ball down or make a hit, secondary play as a whole has improved IMMENSELY in year 2 under Bo. Same players too.

IMO if we are not going to lend him some off the blame for what the team has done this year then how can he be credited for what was done last year. Mind you I will go on the record saying I am not a Bo guy. The one thing I will say if he knew exactly where this team was. As fans we assumed championship. Bo knew that the offense was inept and the D line (not defense) is dominant.

Before I get crushed we do not blitz becuase our D Line can get pressure without it and that's great. But every time the defense is unable to get pressure and the ball is thrown please tell me you are not holding your breath and just hoping some one is there. It always seem like the wr are open both crossing the middle and over the top. Once the ball is passed it's either their receiver's cant catch the ball or QB overthrows them. Our LB and Secondary are usually steps behind the receivers.

Do us a favor and get in your time machine and get out of 2008 and fast forward to the present :)

You will get a chance to see it over the next three weeks. Against any QB that is some what accurate I really think our secondary will struggle when our D-Line doesn't get pressure. I do see an improvement in talent. I think by far the best athlete in the secondary is Prince.

I know you may think this is unfounded, but just like having Suh on the line makes it easier for other D-Linemen to shine. It also helps having a dominant disruptive d-line that prevents the offense from throwing accurate passes; if they even get to pass at all. Due to this we really never get to accurately gauge or secondary. Sub par receivers have been able to move or get open with 8 in coverage.

You will get a chance to see it over the next three weeks. Against any QB that is some what accurate I really think our secondary will struggle when our D-Line doesn't get pressure. I do see an improvement in talent. I think by far the best athlete in the secondary is Prince.

I know you may think this is unfounded, but just like having Suh on the line makes it easier for other D-Linemen to shine. It also helps having a dominant disruptive d-line that prevents the offense from throwing accurate passes; if they even get to pass at all. Due to this we really never get to accurately gauge or secondary. Sub par receivers have been able to move or get open with 8 in coverage.

Bo Pelini: Great Motivator, Bad Coach?

We talked about it here a little.

Thre is an article out somewhere about this.

Heart, desire, character, were missing in the recruits BC got. Bo made coment about being soft and not ready to play.

I stated that the day Bo took the job. He has worked wonders with the defense, but the O is where BC put most of his efforts, the kids he took may just not fit in to what Bo and Watson want to do, but are limited by effort and belief.

Not to mention all the problems we have had with injuries, the transfers and graduation.

We are two more years away from having close to what Bo wants. We need to have patience until then.

Expectations ran sky high at the beginning of the season. Some warned that the wheels could come off, due to the inexperience at QB. True talent level of that position was in question.

Now we are reaping the rewards to thinking we were back by beating a few Sun Belt teams. WE have realized that our great close loss to VaTech may not have been as great as we thought. Our lucky victory over Mizzou was not as important as we thought.

So in fact we have not beaten a winning team. Problems and the over expectations make it worse to deal with.

We should make a bowl this year, I think we squeak one out of the four for sure, maybe two, but who knows, thats why they play the games.

Relax and support the kids, that is all we can do that helps. Bagging on them and the coaches does not good at any time.

Clarification, thinking a team is not going to win is not not supporting the team.

Here is my $.04, because I think my opinion is really that valuable. Seriously, I think we got fooled during camp that we were going to have a qb that could throw, so there was no reason to alter the playbook. Now we find the qb puts too much pressure on himself during games, basically "freaks out" and can't generate a passing game. Had the coaches known this, I believe we would have used the Sun Belt games to develop a powerful running game instead of a passing game. I figure that by the second half of the OU game, when we are well behind, the coaches will pound the rock with decent success and finish out the year with a run first (assuming one healthy productive back is available) and pass off of the running game approach. Next year Green will lead a run based offense (approx 250yds rushing per 150 passing) that will put up big numbers and we will win the Big 12 north. Or I'm completely wrong.

Did anyone really and honestly believe this offense would be better than last year? I mean...seriously. It was said by fans and media that this offense would struggle this year. We lost Ganz, Swift, Peterson, Slauson, etc from the offense. We knew and expected this offense to struggle this year. We talked ad nauseum about it throughout spring and fall practices. Hell...there were some on here who predicted a loss to Baylor and TTU (ISU was a shocker...I'll admit). So why is the fact this offense is struggling, such a huge surprise for anyone?

Just curious as to what you think are the reasons we aren't getting better? Unlike many, I'm not quite ready to thrown in the towel on Shawn Watson. I just think we need to simplify the playbook.

We also don't have the talent we need in some positions like receiver. We really missed Swift and Peterson this year and it shows. Guys like Brooks and Paul have simply not lived up to their potential.

It's even more frustrating when you see programs like Boise State, Cincinnati, and TCU which aren't great at recruiting sitting in the Top 10. What has the college football world come to? Parity?

Your thoughts?

Defense has improved, no doubt.

Going to take a lot longer on offense.

1) Our offensive scheme does not allow for depth production because of it's difficulty. Obviously, none of us have seen the playbook so we don't know, but when it takes guys to be Juniors or Seniors before they get significant PT, that says something about the system. We need a system that allows being able to plug guys in that aren't as experienced and be able to have significant impact. We only had one guy really stand out, and that was Burkhead.

2) A lot of talent we took for granted left on the offensive side of the ball.

3) We have a whole bunch of players that seem to be built to run different offenses. We've got big, tall pass pro offensive line men and some sprinkled in that would be better in a run oriented offense, we have possession type receivers with no consistent deep threat ability, fullbacks we don't know how to utilize in the run game, a freshman quarterback not really built to run our current offense, and tight ends built to catch balls that spend most of their time run blocking.

Especially considering the offensive line, look at a guy like Ricky Henry. Compare him to "pipeline" Nebraska players of the past, and he would fit right in physically. He's got the motor of a run blocker, yet he spends a lot of time pass blocking.

we are better- defense is way better!!!!

Offense graduated 1 good qb, 2 wr and 2 nfl bound lineman. We don't have plug and play talent (yet).

Also, we may be seeing that Bo needs to put a few more of his people in on the O.

Some may not realize but last week we had

true fresh qb, 2 true fresh rb's, a rsfresh and soph wr get most of the offensive PT.

I think we got a little over excited about 9-4 and what that would mean this year.

Agreed. Its no doubt we are better than where we were last year, just not in every aspect of the game. Special teams and Defense have gotten better looking back to last year. But our offense has taken a nose dive.

Let's not pin the offensive woes against the stellar performance the rest of the team has given us.