I have a problem with this

if you think I am reading way too much into this, so be it.

Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

:facepalm:

If he would have known that people the world over would use that to end arguments when they can't think of anything to back up their point, he would have never allowed them to print it.

I think he already explained where he was coming from but you two simply disagree.

Fair enough.

I think some of you are reading way too much into this. What should he say “We aren’t ever going to have a 3rd down because we are going to score on every play we run” or “There is no way that the defense will be able to handle our offense so we can go out and run whatever we want to because no matter what it is going to work”. People wouldn’t be blasting him for saying stuff like that either. <_<

How dare the coach talk about winning 1st and 2nd down and making 3rd downs manageable? At least he didn’t come out and say “We take what we want” because we all know that was a terrible thing to say as well. :ahhhhhhhh

Thanks. I don't mind hearing a coach talk in realistic ways about a tough game. This isn't a steamroller vs. Peeps contest, this is one that takes some planning, strategy, and probably a little bit of good luck to win. I don't see a problem with what he said and it really seems to show (or seems like he's trying to show) that they're planning the play down to minute details. Going out with a "plan" to "kick a$$" will bite you once you get a couple 3 and outs. What are your options? Try harder to kick a$$? I hope they have a detailed plan with a lot of nuance and contingencies that will give them multiple routes from the different sorts of holes a good defense could put the offense in. I know I haven't been the only one watching the games this year--- based on what I've seen, our O will have to play smarter and pull out all of the tricks they have for this one.

Win on normal downs? Sounds like great way to win a possession, win a quarter, win the game.

Or instead we could just all like BRAWWW! and then Mrrrwaaawwrrrhhh!! and then AARRRHHRRRR! And totally KAPOW! Just screw that thinking, smart stuff!!!

if you think I am reading way too much into this, so be it.

Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

:facepalm:

If he would have known that people the world over would use that to end arguments when they can't think of anything to back up their point, he would have never allowed them to print it.

I've never been able to find any evidence that he actually said that, anyway. Besides, he was a physicist, not a psychologist ;)

In my opinion, the only thing you tell your QB before a game is to execute the plays. Then it's your job as OC to call plays that will win the game (not Watson's stength this season). I wouldn't tell him to "manage the game" or to "win the game" as those commands are far too vague to really be effective. I don't think Osborne ever told one of his quarterbacks to "go win the game". He just prepared him well in practice and had the right playcalls based on the talent to score points and win games.

I had similar thoughts about Watson's offense until I heard Tom Osborne on the radio a few nights ago. TO said early in the game the Huskers would run different formations to see how the defense reacted. From those reads, the offense would adjust and TO called plays to take advantage of what the defense was doing. He specifically mentioned creating short yardage on 3rd down to keep the defense from "pinning their ears back on third and long, and just coming after you."

That said, I still can't shake the feeling that Watson just continues to pull plays out of a hat. We ran out of the "pistol" on the first play from scrimmage against Mizzou and picked up good yardage, but we haven't seen it since. Burkhead almost broke a touchdown running an iso play with a fullback lead blocking, but we haven't seen that since either. It's like we don't run the plays the work, we just keep digging deeper into that thick playbook.

^ I think what we can take away from that is that people have a problem with Watson, but love TO. They are determined to find things to not like about anything Watson says or does, until Nebraska's holy deity TO comes in and says the same thing.

By the way on the "this isn't the NFL" comments: you think NFL teams want to win less?

You have to have a winning attitude, yes, but you also need to play smart.

^ I think what we can take away from that is that people have a problem with Watson, but love TO. They are determined to find things to not like about anything Watson says or does, until Nebraska's holy deity TO comes in and says the same thing.

No, that's not at all what we can take from that. What you're saying there has nothing to do with what he said.

What we can take from it is this: TO and Watson did/do the same thing - they try a bunch of different formations on the defense early to see what works. SAME.

What TO would do was to make adjustments to that and go back and hit those plays again and again when they do work. Watson seems to find something that works and shelves it. For no discernible reason. DIFFERENT.

Reading is fundamental.

There was a quote from huskers extra from Shawn Watson

"It’s one of those games that it’s important to win on normal downs. We’ve got to do a great job on normal downs and stay in a manageable third-down situation.”

There was also a good thread about "multiple offenses" on the board, a good read if you can get through it.

What I am getting at is, this bs has to go by the wayside.

This is not an NFL team or league.

If I hear "manageable" or "manage" or "multiple" again, I think I'm going to puke.

I believe this is what Jason Peter meant when he said this offensive style breeds softness/weakness.

You go into a game to lay it all out on the field, and you go into it to win.

You do NOT go into games to just "manage" them..

This is the difference in mindset that he was talking about.

You go into games to win them and kick some ***

Maybe I am taking this nuance too far, but hopefully I have made my point.

Huck

I agree with everything you said. This is COLLEGE FOOTBALL, just go out and play hard every play!

I had similar thoughts about Watson's offense until I heard Tom Osborne on the radio a few nights ago. TO said early in the game the Huskers would run different formations to see how the defense reacted. From those reads, the offense would adjust and TO called plays to take advantage of what the defense was doing. He specifically mentioned creating short yardage on 3rd down to keep the defense from "pinning their ears back on third and long, and just coming after you."

That said, I still can't shake the feeling that Watson just continues to pull plays out of a hat. We ran out of the "pistol" on the first play from scrimmage against Mizzou and picked up good yardage, but we haven't seen it since. Burkhead almost broke a touchdown running an iso play with a fullback lead blocking, but we haven't seen that since either. It's like we don't run the plays the work, we just keep digging deeper into that thick playbook.

Maybe he decided to tuck that formation away for OU. :koolaid2:

Wow, it's hard to imagine people having a problem with "manageable third downs" in this context. Seriously? All this means is you need to at least gain solid yards on first and second down so you don't end up always having third and long. It doesn't mean you play just to get to third down, it means you execute your f'ing plays so you either don't need a third down all the time, or at least when you get there you're third and short with a good chance of getting it.

Good f'ing lord.

Wow, it's hard to imagine people having a problem with "manageable third downs" in this context. Seriously? All this means is you need to at least gain solid yards on first and second down so you don't end up always having third and long. It doesn't mean you play just to get to third down, it means you execute your f'ing plays so you either don't need a third down all the time, or at least when you get there you're third and short with a good chance of getting it.

Good f'ing lord.

I was thinking the same thing......

What's funny is you can watch any college football game and see people talking about manageable third downs. I guess all the coaches, commentators, former players, and so on are wrong, eh?

It's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point where some will take a simple statement that is widely accepted fact in the football world and twist it to fit their own vision of why a person sucks at their job. I mean honestly, if you're going to attempt to bash Watson, at least bring something intelligent to the table.

OU has a quality D, you aren't likely to convert many 3rd and longs on them, especially with our O. We need to get consistent positive yards, even if they aren't big gains. We need to put CG in position where he can convert those 3rds with his feet, which won't happen much on 3rd and 10.