Reality check time

WCHusker

For some reason I can't help but feel a little encouraged because I think Helu might actually be back to healthy. To me he looked like the Roy we saw against VaTech. This offense is a lot different with a healthy Helu.

Maybe its because I'm a glass half-full type of guy, maybe its just because his adrenaline was was pumping at an all-time high because it was Oklahoma... I dunno.

All I can say is its been a long time since I've seen him do this:

helujump-1.jpg

:yeah Luckily, he did not end up like Cal's Best...

Keep your feet on the ground Roy, we just got you healthy dude

GBR

No kidding. It was kinda crazy that they showed that a few plays after Roy did it.

Right away me and my buddy were like, "Ok, Roy. No more of that."

If Roy's healthy, I am about 50% less worried than I have been for the last month. He can scratch out 100+ yards per game without any damn help from the offensive line. That ball control goes a long way with this quality of defense to back him up.

NU wins out the regular season if he stays healthy. I don't care who plays quarterback. It won't be pretty, but I don't see KU and CU getting their sh#t together this month. KSU might be tough, but their offense is one dimensional.

:rolleyes:

Right. Then help me get "the point."

"The point" is being realistic and coming to terms with the fact that it's quite possible that we get beat some more. Yes, we beat OU and everyone is high on that, but the fact remains that our offense STILL hasn't shown any improvement, so it's reasonable to to have doubts about winning out the rest of the season.

As the title of the thread states, it's a REALITY CHECK

No im suggesting that people bitch and moan soooo much about how we have no chance blah blah blah, what kind of husker fan are you, jesus you sound like the ku fans bashing reesing after having a few bad games, look at our offense last year with experience and leadership they were 12th ranked in scoring, we are young, give it time you impacient bandwagon fan.

This isn't fuckiing bandwagoning, ffs. No one has suggested that we have no chance of winning the rest of our games. It's being suggested that our offense still sucks (it does) and that they're relying entirely on the D to win games (they are) This thread is assessing the current situation (aka REALITY), and concluding that we can be beaten some more. It's nothing more than a realistic analysis of the current state of our team. That's it. The End.

Reading comprehension ftw

Because that's exactly what's going on.

Against Oklahoma.

So where have you been the past few weeks? Remember the loss to ISU? Remember the 1 TD we scored against Baylor?

The offense STINKS and completely relies on the defense to win games.

Remember how many turnovers we had inside the 20 against ISU?

And i'd rather have a bad offense and a great defense any year. Because you remember what happens when your d sucks and youre offense is good? how about 2007?

wow i hope we win the rest of the season out so you eat your words, just like all those who said we didnt have a chance against OU.

Are you suggesting that our offense doesn't completely suck, and that it relies entirely on the defense giving them ridiculously good field position and not allowing the other team to score more than 3 points in order to win?

Because that's exactly what's going on.

Our offense had a hard time yes. but it scored when it needed to or had an opportunity too. only Henry's missed kick (and they don't happen often) was a bad mishap.

We won't face that kind of a talented D for the rest of the year. not even one with the stingy d of Baylor...

We get the point yes our offense sucks but lay off. we are young and banged up. having awfully high expectations for a learning group at this point would be stupid.

We need to look for improvement on a game to game basis and and helu and the run game looked good at times last night against a good front 7.

So chill....

Although our offense had horrible showings in both the TT and ISU games, I think a lot of people are quick to overlook what we actually dealt with against OU. The game plan that was executed against OU was obviously to pound the ball into a very tough OU defense. We knocked out enough yards, and first downs to get it done. It wasn't pretty, but they executed the game plan at hand. I just think a lot of people are forgetting how good of a defense we faced. I think that next week with a healthy Helu, we break off a lot more yards in the running game which in turn opens up the passing game (most likely a lot of short passes to McNeil). The offense is clearly not stellar, but we have enough tools to get through the rest of the regular season fairly well barring any injuries to Helu. If (hopefully when) we get to the Conf Championship game, it will be a different story, but until then we should be good. Give this young O another year to develop and continue development of this D and we are going to be Big XII favorites in the next year or 2.

Well like they said, Oklahoma was going to be one of the hardest challenges this year and they were right. Our defense stepped up and crushed them while Helu and Lee ran the clock as much as they could. But now that the major hurtles have been passed by, it looks like nothing but smooth running from here on.

Okay, that was a great win-a really great one(thank you defense. Now let's take a painful look at the big picture. Our offense sucks. They aren't "okay" or "alright".....they flat out S-U-C-K. Seven first downs vs. OU. An entire game-and SEVEN first downs. Less than two a quarter. That defines SUCK. There's only so much that an incredible defense can do, so don't get your hopes to high. That 5 interception gift that we got may have been the highlight of our season. Be happy with it, because there may not be many more gift wrapped like that baby.

wow, can't believe it took you so long to come to that conclusion. I don't think anyone actually really disagrees with two things (facts IMO):

1. We got a (high) above average defense

2. We got an (way) below average offense

Now, we all would like to have a better offense, but it's not gonna happen this year, so we might as well live with it and stop complaining. I didn't think we could beat OU. But I also didn't think the defense could play so well. Having seen that, I believe we could also handle TX in the Big XII CG. Is that very likely? No. But with this team everything is possible. We also could lose to KS on saturday. Offense doesn't show up as usual, defense makes a mistake or two, we are probably going to lose. Just a very thin line between winning and losing.

But, I am actually comfortable with the situation. There is a good chance we win the North title. And while it might not look so pretty I am fine with that for this year. And though I was not a friend of the idea to play TX in the CG, I really want them to make it now, because with this defense, even if we not win, it's not going to be a blowout. Fixing offensive problems is something for next year, we are past the point in a season where you can expect any dramatic improvements.

Then help me get "the point."

"The point" is being realistic and coming to terms with the fact that it's quite possible that we get beat some more. Yes, we beat OU and everyone is high on that, but the fact remains that our offense STILL hasn't shown any improvement, so it's reasonable to to have doubts about winning out the rest of the season.

As the title of the thread states, it's a REALITY CHECK

I don't know why you're so upset at everyone in this thread. I completely agree with you about this, and I think several others do, too. The only caveat I'm offering is, we sucked mighty royally against OU, the best defense we're likely to face the rest of the year, Big XII Championship and bowl game included. That's a good unit, and as much as we suck, they contributed to that sucking a LOT.

You may not have read my posts, but I was one of the people saying we had no chance to beat OU. Lots of people were. So you're not alone in your upset over this offense.

Our offense is totally different with Helu. Well, I guess I should say, we actually have an offense with Helu. After all, he was just about all the offensive yards against Oklahoma.

Hopefully, with successful running, it will open up the play action passing game for our final three regular season games. Let's hope Helu stays healthy, because it was real refreshing seeing him break tackles and run past defenders.

P.S. to Malth: our offense is not good, but if Helu ran that good against Oklahoma, we should have success against Kansas and our remaining competition too.