Pelini went off on Watson

Joe_5700

Wasn’t necessarily a bad call by Watson. It’s just that Lee and Helu weren’t in good position to make the pitch. Seems like Helu should have been a step back to get a better angle and come forward into the pitch. Lee’s pitch was high and inside (behind) because there wasn’t room to pitch it into Helo’s breadbasket at that bad angle. It was a risky pitch Lee prolly shouldn’t have made. Of course it’s easy for us to look back and make that observation on Monday.

And I thought Bo was yelling at Lee coming off the field, not Wats. Lee has the history of turnovers. Not Watson.

I really don't understand why his anger wasn't directly squarely at Roy? Regardless of bad playcall or poor read by Lee, he made a good pitch to Roy, which was not handled by him. If Roy grabs the pitch, like he should, we are going back to the huddle with a couple yard loss and worrying about the next play.

Thats where this whole thing went wrong. I understand Helu should have caught the ball, however the pitch should have never been made that play was strung out and was going for a loss or no gain. Why was Lee even thinking pitch let alone doing it. Roy was probably just as shocked as i was that the ball was pitched. Also Wats shouldnt be making that play call anyway. We dont have the personel to run that kind of option, yet he calls it expecting it to work. With the option so many things can go wrong, especially if there is a pitch being made. It was just a bad play from the begining. Should have never been called, should have never been pitched, Roy should have caught it.

If Lee had kept the ball and gotten a touchdown or if Helu had scored on the pitch, then this conversation wouldn't exist because nobody would be complaining.

But I know, it's because it didn't work that it is being discussed.

At the same time, it's a call that wasn't executed which has been a problem all year.

Meh. Like I posted while you were typing, I think the fans are savvy enough to look at this team and know that we should NOT be running the Option. It's not a strength for the personnel we have. All season long the Option has looked brutal, aside from one play, and I bet people would rather see it cut from the playbook the rest of the year rather than continue to see it run so poorly.

Yeah, you have a reasonable point.

It is pretty clear at this point that the guys just don't hit the gaps right. Running the option isn't overly difficult, but everybody has to be on the same page and they have to know their roles. I don't think they work on it enough in practice for it to really be something we use in game.

If we have to use the option, then I would vote to try it out of a shotgun set with tight ends in for extra blocking, similar to what Florida likes to run with Tebow. But that is if they ABSOLUTELY have to run the option, because out of the power I it just looks silly.

For some that are begging for the option to come back, the RB needs to catch anything close to him b/c most of the time the QB is not going to be looking at him anyways. The play call at that time would have been fine in 99 not 09 with the talent we have on offense.

Pretty sure we had our fumbling problems in 99, most in school history and can remember Dan Alexander fumbling on the 3 against Texas, ruined our shot at a national title.

I really don't understand why his anger wasn't directly squarely at Roy? Regardless of bad playcall or poor read by Lee, he made a good pitch to Roy, which was not handled by him. If Roy grabs the pitch, like he should, we are going back to the huddle with a couple yard loss and worrying about the next play.

The pitch was right in Helu's hands and should have the been caught. Was Lee's read spot-on? No! But his read and pitch had nothing to do with Helu dropping the pitch.

Considering that Bo jumped all over Watson and Watson jumped all over Lee, do you think Lee checked off to the option play and got ripped for doing so?

again, guys, we won't be able to run the option without some serious practice and dedication to it.

won't happen this year in a pretty way.

maybe next year, and I think this is where the offense is headed to some degree.

the coaching staff does listen to the fan base, whether they admit it or not, we as fans did make the case for the running game, just saying...

The pitch was right in Helu's hands and should have the been caught. Was Lee's read spot-on? No! But his read and pitch had nothing to do with Helu dropping the pitch.

Considering that Bo jumped all over Watson and Watson jumped all over Lee, do you think Lee checked off to the option play and got ripped for doing so?

That's a possibility. Maybe Watson was as surprised as Bo to see that one.

Doesn't change the fact that whoever made the decision to run the option in that situation must have been ----> :wasted. That's a highly risky call that: 1) we had already run without any luck a handful of times that game; and 2) just increases the chances of a fumble when we've already proven to have turnover problems.

That option call made all of Husker nation :bang for one reason or another (the call itself, the pitch, the fumble, and the waste of a great opportunity).

I should rephrase it I guess... not so much the option, but that the running game is taking precidence as far as I can tell.

I am glad watson ran the ball as many times as he did.

It wore the OU defense down, it was "almost" old school.. not quite, but close enough for me.

We still need burkhead back and improved Oline performance.

My main point is SW ran the ball over and over and didn't give up.. that is kinda the NU of old.

roy has trouble lifting one arm above the shoulder, that probably accounted for his difficulty. he is far from "healthy" as some appear to think he's become. He just ran hard and gutted it out last night. He needs surgery.

Really?? He didnt pull himself up in the North stadium? Helu has some good vert, but not 10 feet good. Helu is fine, and all you have to do is watch this Saturday when he ROCKS CHALK on the gheyhawks.

Possibly, but wonder what play was called that would have made him check to the option? Regardless, it was a blown opportunity and all were to blame.