Mangino threads

stargazer

this discussion has taken a turn to the outrageous. just because mangino can't run laps does not mean he does not know football or how to coach. is not the saying, 'those who can't do, coach.' seems to make sense, the coach has the plan and knowledge, the players have the talent.

does that work for old people? if a great coach was old and could not run laps, would you respect him any less?

True. Mangino and Leach are great football minds. Interesting tidbit that both are among 6 current Division I coaches not to have played football in college (along with Weis). The Chiefs Todd Haley is another example. With Haley I think there are some respect issues for not playing but I don't think that would be the case with the college players.

Wow, guess I wasn't aware of how 'average' his performance has been. They've been talked about for so many years now as a 'contender' but really, as stated, the 7-1 in conference is all that really stands out. It looks like it is/could definitely be a performance issue. Especially inking a big contract, following it up with a 4-4 and potential 1-7 isn't what the boosters, I mean school, wants to see.

KU's performance.

That's because of the overhype brainwashing provided by JGS over the past few years

Well played sir...

two words. gastric bypass.

Wow you're seriously saying he isn't a good leader/authority because of his weight? I know a few players at KU, one of whom chose KU over NU. No discussion of weight was mentioned. Maybe it's because he is a D1 athlete and knows that winning games HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES OF YOUR COACH.

If I am a D1 athlete getting payed to play to game of football with NFL aspirations, i couldn't care less about how big or unhealthy my coach is. I would care about playing for a coach that has me and winning in his best interests. Some of the fat jokes are funny i'm not going to lie. But to say a coach in inept because of his weight is down right outrageous.

And as stated above, weight it connected to genetics in most cases. However ,my father is overweight because he loves to eat. I, on the other hand, am in good shape because I workout. Some people have little to no control however.

Do i even need to list all of the complications that go along with morbid obesity?

no one thinks it is good that he is morbidly obese, it is really too bad; but it has no affect on his coaching ability, other than him sweating at a game when it 40 degrees outside, maybe he was sweating because Helu had the ball, who knows.

Do i even need to list all of the complications that go along with morbid obesity?

Sigh....people overweight...especially excessively are at an even greater risk for complications during surgery. There's no quick fix to it. Bottom line is if we would educate people properly about how to truly lose weight (diet! not all this exercise) then people would do it. It's easier that it sounds for the average person but most don't understand how their bodies work. I don't know mangino's personal history ....

It would seem strange that any kid, in his prime, would take crap from a fat out of shape guy. Should've just put the big man out of his misery the 1st time he touched him,if true.

i've never understood how these top notch athletes could listen to, take advice from, and respect someone so horribly out of shape. if someone in power tells me to do something, they better be able to do it as well (or make a great attempt at it). for example, if mangino told me to run laps for penalties in a game or something, i would laugh in his face and tell him that he is the one that needs to be running laps.

You obviously have never played an organized sport. It sports, you do what the coach tells you because he is the authority and the one who knows football. If coach tells you to jump you should say how high. My DL coach in high school weighed almost 400 pounds. He played with the 49ers for a few season so he obviously loved the game. When I screwed up Coach Parks would tear me a new one. But that was his job. He made me the man I am today. His job is not to "run laps". His job is to put his players in a position to win. And it worked. We won state junior year and had one of the most dominant DLs in the state. The man can barely even write and email but he knows the game of football and he knows how to bring the most out of people. And THAT'S why he is a coach.

i never once connected his coaching ability to his weight. i only said that i am surprised that there are not respect issues revolving around his weight.

Fair enough, but even so I doubt there are very man respect issues. I mean sure there are a few bad apples that might now respect him for his weight. But what it all boils down to is that Mangino decides who plays. So my guess is all the starters have plenty respect for him.

i never once connected his coaching ability to his weight. i only said that i am surprised that there are not respect issues revolving around his weight.

i understand players resenting the hypocrisy, but i think that would only arise if the coach did something else to lose respect, then the players would go there immediately. but if they like the coach and he is winning them games, they are probably willing to overlook it.