Mangino threads

stargazer

Gill is one of my all-time favorite Huskers and the thought of him coaching against NU makes me ill. I so wish he were on our staff.

I'm glad Gill got his shot. He needs to be a head coach. I'd rather he went somewhere other than KU but it will be a step up and a lot more money for him.

I think the fat coach's plight is a good lesson in not being an Ahole if you have a real sucky season. After two straight bowl games the wheels fell off this year. But it seems all the nastiness he sewed as a human being is coming home to roost. I think it is something our HC might take note of and avoid "sideline browbeating TV". Any personality usually works if you are winning....but woe be unto you if you have a fall apart season. Looks like this is the year the fat man pays for arrogance of the past.

Yelling at a kid or coach for messing up is one thing. Taking a swing at a couple of players after the CU game, because you had a nervous breakdown, is an entirely different situation. I dont always agree with Bo's sideline actions, but I get the feeling he would never physically hurt any of his kids... Mangino on the other hand may not be capable of such restraint.

The school of thought from another forum I frequent is that if it were related to Mangino's job, it wouldn't necessarily be about his "performance" in terms of wins/losses and the direction of the program. The concern might be that there's some serious issues between he and the administration.

I dont agree that it couldnt be about his performance. He has had 1, count it 1, good year. That year they didnt play 1 single BSC team with a winning record in the regular season until their last game, which they lost. He has never had another season where he finished above .500 in conference. His best team ever will most likely not even make a bowl game.

His conference records are as follows:

0-8

2-6

2-6

4-4

3-5

7-1

4-4

1-5 currently and a probable 1-7 finish.

For those who dont want to add that is a coference record of 23-39 currently. Minus what has proved to be a fluke season in 2007 and he is 16-38 in big 12 play. He will likely finish .500 in big 12 play over the last 3 years with Reesing, Meyer and Brisco. He is NOT the great coach some make him out to be. He is not a bad coach but since when does a guy who losses nearly twice as many conference games as he wins qualify for "great"

a fluke 2007 made him a rich man, and it should also not keep him from being cut like any other coach who cant perform.

Yeah, but he owns Mizzou and Gary Pinkel.

4-3 and likely 4-4 is no owning. But here is another quick one for you. He has NEVER finished ahead of Gary Pinkel and Mizzou in the standings. NEVER. So whats better. MU being Ku's super bowl every year or actually being better than your rival every year?

I dont like losing to ku, but i do enjoy looking down on them from up above... :thumbs

Gill is one of my all-time favorite Huskers and the thought of him coaching against NU makes me ill. I so wish he were on our staff.

I'm glad Gill got his shot. He needs to be a head coach. I'd rather he went somewhere other than KU but it will be a step up and a lot more money for him.

I think the fat coach's plight is a good lesson in not being an Ahole if you have a real sucky season. After two straight bowl games the wheels fell off this year. But it seems all the nastiness he sewed as a human being is coming home to roost. I think it is something our HC might take note of and avoid "sideline browbeating TV". Any personality usually works if you are winning....but woe be unto you if you have a fall apart season. Looks like this is the year the fat man pays for arrogance of the past.

Yelling at a kid or coach for messing up is one thing. Taking a swing at a couple of players after the CU game, because you had a nervous breakdown, is an entirely different situation. I dont always agree with Bo's sideline actions, but I get the feeling he would never physically hurt any of his kids... Mangino on the other hand may not be capable of such restraint.

Whoa how did I miss this? He took swings at players?

I can't imagine one poor season (poor by our standards) would be enough to even think about a replacement at such a place. I have great respect for Mangino and I really hope it's not health related. If it is with a player...hopefully it's nothing serious.

I dunno. Reminds me of people who showed two, maybe three games worth of patience for Shawn Watson's rebuilding offense before grabbing the torches and pitchforks.

I can't imagine one poor season (poor by our standards) would be enough to even think about a replacement at such a place. I have great respect for Mangino and I really hope it's not health related. If it is with a player...hopefully it's nothing serious.

I dunno. Reminds me of people who showed two, maybe three games worth of patience for Shawn Watson's rebuilding offense before grabbing the torches and pitchforks.

Yeah. The parallels are uncanny.

As much as I like Kansas football and want to see them do well, I have to say it'd be nice not to have to play a dangerous KU team each season. They get rid of Mangino and we go back to regularly beating them 50-3 with our 4th string in.

I'd rather have to earn a victory over a solid team. The North is a joke right now. Losing Mangino assures more craptastic football up here, and hurts the prestige of our conference, which has recruiting ramifications, bowl game ramifications, and thus $$$ ramifications, which is the foundation on which this whole thing is built.

We're better off with a solid Colorado, Kansas & Missouri, and a good Nebraska, than we are with a crappy Colorado, Kansas & Missouri, and a good Nebraska.

Except for the fact that one school's standards are high and above the other's....

Except for the fact that one school's standards are high and above the other's....

And the fact that one school's season is imploding while the other's is still capable of a BCS bowl. And the fact that one school is playing with one of its best teams ever while the other school is rebuilding. And the fact that one of the coaches has been on scene for eight years while the other has yet to complete his second year.

Aside from that, it's almost exactly the same.

As much as I like Kansas football and want to see them do well, I have to say it'd be nice not to have to play a dangerous KU team each season. They get rid of Mangino and we go back to regularly beating them 50-3 with our 4th string in.

I'd rather have to earn a victory over a solid team. The North is a joke right now. Losing Mangino assures more craptastic football up here, and hurts the prestige of our conference, which has recruiting ramifications, bowl game ramifications, and thus $$$ ramifications, which is the foundation on which this whole thing is built.

We're better off with a solid Colorado, Kansas & Missouri, and a good Nebraska, than we are with a crappy Colorado, Kansas & Missouri, and a good Nebraska.

That was more of a dig at the dumbass KU fans that want Mangino gone than anything else.