Mangino threads

stargazer

Gill is one of my all-time favorite Huskers and the thought of him coaching against NU makes me ill. I so wish he were on our staff.

I'm glad Gill got his shot. He needs to be a head coach. I'd rather he went somewhere other than KU but it will be a step up and a lot more money for him.

I think the fat coach's plight is a good lesson in not being an Ahole if you have a real sucky season. After two straight bowl games the wheels fell off this year. But it seems all the nastiness he sewed as a human being is coming home to roost. I think it is something our HC might take note of and avoid "sideline browbeating TV". Any personality usually works if you are winning....but woe be unto you if you have a fall apart season. Looks like this is the year the fat man pays for arrogance of the past.

I don't think you can say KU is a step up from Buffalo. The Mac really has no powerhouse. Yeah central mich is usually pretty good but the gap isn't the same as it with KU and say texass. I cannot image Gill or anybody coming into KU and winning the conference in 3 years like he did at buffalo.

I don't think you can say KU is a step up from Buffalo. The Mac really has no powerhouse. Yeah central mich is usually pretty good but the gap isn't the same as it with KU and say texass. I cannot image Gill or anybody coming into KU and winning the conference in 3 years like he did at buffalo.

I think most any AQ head coach job is better than Buffalo, from a salary and prestige point of view.

The thing is we all know that football (college or pro) is a 'show me now' business. Getting 3-4 years to show real, meaningful results is max. Once you have shown those results if you slip just a little you will be under a magnifying glass. If you slip a LOT the 'university money' starts talking.

Well remember next season KU gets the "fluff" schedule again (no OU, Texass, TT)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4664164

"According to one source, some players have threatened to transfer from the program because of what they perceive to be having spoken to in an inappropriate manner...A source briefed on the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad that one particular incident allegedly involved Mangino yelling at and making contact with a player earlier this season."

I think most any AQ head coach job is better than Buffalo, from a salary and prestige point of view.

Sure from the salary....but honestly....KU is not a good job. Despite what people in the media want to say, the big12 is a tough conference to win in.

Just saw that Dick Jauron is out as Buffalo Bills head coach. If Mangino gets out now, he can jump on board and not have to change his wardrobe and keep his blue and red jumpsuits. Plus as an added bonus for Buffalo they get a cow for a coach and mascot.

Dammit....I did it again!!!

The school of thought from another forum I frequent is that if it were related to Mangino's job, it wouldn't necessarily be about his "performance" in terms of wins/losses and the direction of the program. The concern might be that there's some serious issues between he and the administration.

I dont agree that it couldnt be about his performance. He has had 1, count it 1, good year. That year they didnt play 1 single BSC team with a winning record in the regular season until their last game, which they lost. He has never had another season where he finished above .500 in conference. His best team ever will most likely not even make a bowl game.

His conference records are as follows:

0-8

2-6

2-6

4-4

3-5

7-1

4-4

1-5 currently and a probable 1-7 finish.

For those who dont want to add that is a coference record of 23-39 currently. Minus what has proved to be a fluke season in 2007 and he is 16-38 in big 12 play. He will likely finish .500 in big 12 play over the last 3 years with Reesing, Meyer and Brisco. He is NOT the great coach some make him out to be. He is not a bad coach but since when does a guy who losses nearly twice as many conference games as he wins qualify for "great"

a fluke 2007 made him a rich man, and it should also not keep him from being cut like any other coach who cant perform.

Mangino is the best coach at KU since, well, forever. KU hasn’t had a truly great season since Fielding Yost went 10-0. That was in 1899.

Here is what they’ve done since WWII:

Jules V. Sikes (1948-53) 35-25-0 (.583)

Chuck Mather (1954-57) 11-26-3 (.313)

Jack Mitchell (1958-66) 44-42-5 (.511)

Pepper Rodgers (1967-70) 20-22-0 (.476)

Don Fambrough (1971-74 & 79-82) 36-49-5 (.428)

Bud Moore (1975-78) 17-27-1 (.389)

Mike Gottfried (1983-85) 15-18-1 (.456)

Bob Valesente (1986-87) 4-17-1 (.205)

Glenn Mason (1988-96) 47-54-1 (.466)

Terry Allen (1997-01) 21-35-0 (.375)

Mark Mangino (2002-?) 50-45-0 (.523)

The KU admin should be kissing Mangino's fat ass instead of giving him grief.

on the ESPN KU board they're talking about how they'd like to see Turner Gill at KU. wow

I've read that on one of the KU boards, too. Come to think of it, I've read Gill's name on the Colorado board, too.

He'd do a decent job there, I think. And it's a good stepping stone if he's looking to build his career past Buffalo.

I agree.

As much as it would suck to see Turner on an opposing sideline, I wish the best for that guy. He deserves a shot at taking a school to great heights. If he can take Buffalo to a conference championship and get a lot out of his players, then he could do much greater things at a school where he could recruit some talent.