Mangino threads

stargazer

The school of thought from another forum I frequent is that if it were related to Mangino's job, it wouldn't necessarily be about his "performance" in terms of wins/losses and the direction of the program. The concern might be that there's some serious issues between he and the administration.

I dont agree that it couldnt be about his performance. He has had 1, count it 1, good year. That year they didnt play 1 single BSC team with a winning record in the regular season until their last game, which they lost. He has never had another season where he finished above .500 in conference. His best team ever will most likely not even make a bowl game.

His conference records are as follows:

0-8

2-6

2-6

4-4

3-5

7-1

4-4

1-5 currently and a probable 1-7 finish.

For those who dont want to add that is a coference record of 23-39 currently. Minus what has proved to be a fluke season in 2007 and he is 16-38 in big 12 play. He will likely finish .500 in big 12 play over the last 3 years with Reesing, Meyer and Brisco. He is NOT the great coach some make him out to be. He is not a bad coach but since when does a guy who losses nearly twice as many conference games as he wins qualify for "great"

a fluke 2007 made him a rich man, and it should also not keep him from being cut like any other coach who cant perform.

Yeah, but he owns Mizzou and Gary Pinkel.

Gill is one of my all-time favorite Huskers and the thought of him coaching against NU makes me ill. I so wish he were on our staff.

Exactly...It'd be impossible not to root for the guy if he's leading KU, but when it comes time for NU vs KU, feelings aside, I hope we mop the floor with um. But that kinda sucks cause it's Gill.....and he's still Gill, but in blue. Like a Blue Gill - get it... HAHAH :rollin:corndance:rollin ok...i've wasted enough keystrokes on this waste of 8 seconds of reading and typing.

Most people seem to forget that the AD at KU told Mangino before the 2007 season that he'd better take the team bowling or he was out. Mangino's been on the hot seat before. It's all well and good to throw out his winning percentages, but I'd like to see his winning percentages thrown up against the football coaches they've had the last 20 or 30 years. While Mangino hasn't done at KU what Snyder did at KState, he did turn them into a relevant team again whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The last coach to have a winning record at KU was in the 60's. He's the only coach to take the Jayhawks to 4 bowl games.

There's an audio clip of Reesing's interview now. Couple things he mentions "there's an investigation about some things that have been said." "I never knew he had anger issues..." "I don't think this has anything to do with the teams performance.."

So does this mean that the rumors about the abuse may be true?

Link to the interview. Only the first 2 minutes are about Mangino. http://www2.kusports.com/podcasts/press_co...o-investigatio/

From KU Board, no link and no word on the source, probably BS:

MM was offered half his buyout to walk. If he doesn't walk, KU goes public.

Meahwhile, assistant coaches are going to meet this evening to decide whether MM should coach against UT and possibly rest of season.

No new HC standing in shadows.

If MM walks, interim coach will come from staff, most likely Warriner.

I'll bet KU football sinks back the deep dark abyss if/when Mangino is let go.

Will that be because when he leaves, his gravitational pull will create a black hole in which everything will get sucked into and be unable to escape for all eternity??? Crap...another Mangino fat joke. They are too easy! My apologies.

I'll bet KU football sinks back the deep dark abyss if/when Mangino is let go.

Agreed. Mason made them somewhat respectable, but even still he only took them to two bowls in nine years, with a record of 47-54-1. Terry Allen went 20-33 in four years, then Mangino took over and has a 50-41 record with four bowl appearances.

It's not like Kansas is going to do better than Mangino. It's not a destination job, and it's never going to be.

Mangino took them to a great season once. If they give him time, he may be able to do it again. If they're canning him because of this season, they're fools.

Ok well how about some more meaningful numbers...

The previous 9 coaches!!!! have not had a winning percentage as good as his....that's since 1928-1932 coach william hargiss....

Mangino's teams have gone to 4 bowl games out of ku's total 12 in their entire history!

They are 3-1 in said bowl games.

They've been CO-champions of the big 8 3 times all before 1970

Won the conference once in 1930.

KU was not a good program and they have gone to a BCS bowl and won it under mangino. If KU wants more....well they can enjoy the route of Iowa state and more than likely a gene chizik type hire. Who wants to go to KU? Who? Especially after they fire one of their most successful coaches and The most successful since the 30's! They were #2 in the country during that "fluke" season. It still happened. Last season was not a disaster. This season may be considered a fluke.

The thing is we all know that football (college or pro) is a 'show me now' business. Getting 3-4 years to show real, meaningful results is max. Once you have shown those results if you slip just a little you will be under a magnifying glass. If you slip a LOT the 'university money' starts talking.