Should we bolt for the Big 10?

craigsker

Notre Dame joining isn't likely given that the Big 10 asked them to join before. Probably not likely now that they have a winning college coach. I think as long as they have a contract with NBC they aren't joining a conference anytime soon.

He won at colleges with different academic qualifications than Notre Dame. We'll see how Kelly does with the kids he's able to get for the Domers.

I don't think that the academics are that big of a problem. I think it is more of kids know there is no more Notre Dame mystique so it's not that attractive compared to schools who have won or contended for national championships. Even with Brady Quinn they were getting beat bad by USC and Michigan.

Notre Dame joining isn't likely given that the Big 10 asked them to join before. Probably not likely now that they have a winning college coach. I think as long as they have a contract with NBC they aren't joining a conference anytime soon.

He won at colleges with different academic qualifications than Notre Dame. We'll see how Kelly does with the kids he's able to get for the Domers.

I don't think that the academics are that big of a problem. I think it is more of kids know there is no more Notre Dame mystique so it's not that attractive compared to schools who have won or contended for national championships. Even with Brady Quinn they were getting beat bad by USC and Michigan.

Academic requirements are a HUGE factor. The SEC has built their conference up in the past few recruiting cycles by making a conference-wide decision to lower their requirements to the NCAA minimum.

Every time you see an interview and the player can barely form coherent sentences, yet is starting at an AQ school, think back to how important/unimportant those academic requirements are. They're huge.

I think either we look seriously at moving to the Big 10 unless the Big 12 makes some changes.

Really what needs to happen, and probably is actually best for NU, is to stay in the Big 12, but on one condition. Reallignment!!!!!! This would help alot in my opinion. There would still be southern bias, however, those southern team would be pulling harder for their own divisions just like they do now.

So, what I am putting forth is making the conference East and West. Put Oklahoma and Oklahoma state on different sides, and put Texas and Texas A&M on opposite sides with Baylor and TTech split one way or the other with them. This would even out the conference and make everything much more fair and at least equal out the southern bias. This is what I would like to see.

West

Nebraska

Texas A&M

Oklahoma St.

Texas Tech/Baylor

Kansas

Colorado

East

Texas

Oklahoma

Mizzery

Texas Tech/Baylor

Iowa St.

Kansas St.

Now, the chances of this are slim. One big reason is because big rivalries in the Southern division would not be played every year. So, even though the Big 12 didn't care about taking away the Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry, God forbid if we take away their rivalries.

So, I see only one choice. Go to the Big 10.

I'm for the Big 10, but I like change... I'd rather go to the Rose Bowl every year than the Fiesta Bowl... As far as recruiting goes, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan all recruit well, even without the Holy Land of Texas... We would dominate in almost every sport, and probably be in the conference championship every year.... I know that's basically what we have here, but with the Big 12 turning into the SW conference, we need to do something...

The radio stations in KC have been talking about this big time the last few days for Missouri. apparently there is a website(which I cannot find) that shows the difference in travel , schedule, etc for MU in the Big 10 vs. Big 12. there is a general feeling in this part of the country that Texas is getting everything and MU has been getting screwed. there is a growing contingent wanting MU to move to the Big 10 and maybe MU is looking at it more and more? I can't speak for MU but since this topic came up...

How's about this, we drop Colorado, since no one likes them anyway. The Big 10/11 picks up Iowa St. (we really wouldnt miss them either), making them the new Big 12. Then, the current Big 12 turns into the new Big 10, but in order to be the new Big 10, we'd have to have 11 teams, so in order to do that, we get TCU in here, then Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. join the "north" division, making it the "Rest" division, and Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and TCU would become the "Texas" division. And all conference championship games would be held at the home field of the "Texas" Division representative. Any thoughts.

What if we just elminated everyone and handed you the trophy every year?

Actually, aside from a ridiculous game against ISU, we've already gone ahead and eliminated everyone in the North this year on our own.

Next year if we discover an offense that can crack that 106-yard barrier, we'll take the South to the woodshed, too.

Fear us, if you dare!

pussnboots.jpg

Maybe, but you are also losing the best defensive player in the country, like you said earlier in another thread, Suh is the kind of player that may come along once a decade. No one is expecting Florida to win it all next year minus Tebow, Texas will be rebuilding losing McCoy.

How's about this, we drop Colorado, since no one likes them anyway. The Big 10/11 picks up Iowa St. (we really wouldnt miss them either), making them the new Big 12. Then, the current Big 12 turns into the new Big 10, but in order to be the new Big 10, we'd have to have 11 teams, so in order to do that, we get TCU in here, then Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. join the "north" division, making it the "Rest" division, and Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and TCU would become the "Texas" division. And all conference championship games would be held at the home field of the "Texas" Division representative. Any thoughts.

What if we just elminated everyone and handed you the trophy every year?

Actually, aside from a ridiculous game against ISU, we've already gone ahead and eliminated everyone in the North this year on our own.

Next year if we discover an offense that can crack that 106-yard barrier, we'll take the South to the woodshed, too.

Fear us, if you dare!

pussnboots.jpg

Maybe, but you are also losing the best defensive player in the country, like you said earlier in another thread, Suh is the kind of player that may come along once a decade. No one is expecting Florida to win it all next year minus Tebow, Texas will be rebuilding losing McCoy.

Academic requirements are a HUGE factor. The SEC has built their conference up in the past few recruiting cycles by making a conference-wide decision to lower their requirements to the NCAA minimum.

Every time you see an interview and the player can barely form coherent sentences, yet is starting at an AQ school, think back to how important/unimportant those academic requirements are. They're huge.

So you are saying is that because of the Big 10 high requirements that is the reason they are getting beaten in bowls every year? The SEC dropped it cause of poor high schools down in the south. Most poor students see athletics as a way to get to college. It doesn't surprise me but that is how it is.

Misery has been crying for years about going to the Big 10, which won't happen because they bring nothing to the table.

Besides the KC and St. Louis TV markets which is what the Big 10 is really interested in. Pick the schools with the greatest TV ratings outside of the Big 10's current markets, and you'll have the list of schools that will be evaluated.

I did not here the entire list but they were talking about Syracuse, Pitt, a few others and MU. MU seemed to be the best choice of the list they came up with. The complaint the stations were talking about is kinda like some on this board. TV revenue, TU being arrogant, texas swaying voting in the big 12. etc. the radio station said that TX was the largest state in the Big 12 with a 23M population, MU is second in Big 12 at 7M. Some of MU's games were not on this year up here(their loss to Baylor-thank god that wasn't for MU fans). I do not know a whole lot about this subject of TU and TV revenues etc. Just seems to be a lot of noise up here and maybe MU is serious about bolting...just passing it along.

Mandel from SI.com has a piece on the whole big10 expansion which he has alot of valid points until he ended it like this

I'd say Nebraska would make a nice centerpiece for the "Big Ten West." :o

Yeah Big 12 ... what have you done for us lately? Oh yeah, forget I asked. What have you EVER done for us?

Misery has been crying for years about going to the Big 10, which won't happen because they bring nothing to the table.

Besides the KC and St. Louis TV markets which is what the Big 10 is really interested in. Pick the schools with the greatest TV ratings outside of the Big 10's current markets, and you'll have the list of schools that will be evaluated.

BINGO!