What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

Why does everyone think ISU has nothing to offer the Big 12? Just b/c their FB program is less than stellar it does not mean they don't excel in other areas of athletics. From what i read elsewhere is that if the BIG 10 looks to the Big 12 it would take Mizzou. SI.com was the source of the rumor.

Your right ISU is an outstanding Engineering college, while in college we had a technology exchange with them and there facilities were very impressive. Also I always thought they were a powerhouse in wrestling (some one correct me if I am wrong here), I think it is easy to lose sight of what other schools offer to the conference once we are not talking about football.

Why does everyone think ISU has nothing to offer the Big 12? Just b/c their FB program is less than stellar it does not mean they don't excel in other areas of athletics. From what i read elsewhere is that if the BIG 10 looks to the Big 12 it would take Mizzou. SI.com was the source of the rumor.

Your right ISU is an outstanding Engineering college, while in college we had a technology exchange with them and there facilities were very impressive. Also I always thought they were a powerhouse in wrestling (some one correct me if I am wrong here), I think it is easy to lose sight of what other schools offer to the conference once we are not talking about football.

Iowa State has a pretty good wrestling Program.. Not nearly the Dynasty that the University of Iowa has but definately formidable.

great wrestling program, Mens and Womens B-Ball programs competitive and it is a great engineering and ag school. The first computer was created at ISU! I think... :)

If they truly did take Misery, I would hope we would go along and maybe ISU or KU. I just don't see ISU having anything the Big 10 wants? TV audience? What would they add? Tradition? Wrestling is not why the Big 10 wold expand.

If Misery leaves then the Big 12 would have to get another team, perhaps TCU or CSU to continue the playoffs. Although I wonder if this took place if CU might get offered a deal to go to the Pac 10? WE could be left in quite a mess. It may be a situation where we will be left with a bunch of Texas teams and OU. At any rate it will not be a win for us.

I think the Big 10 might be something to consider--either alone or with Missouri and ISU or more likely KU.

ISU has a burgeoning women's volleyball program, too. They made it to the Sweet 16 this year, and had they not run into the Huskers at the Qwest they may have made another round. They're talented and young, and they've got a darned good coach.

But enough with the ISU love. Cy's going to think we've all turned to the Dark Side when he sees this! :)

The reason we'd lose most of our Southern recruits is the unlikely probability of playing any games near their backyards..Where the folks (and friends) back home can watch them in person onced or twiced a season.

Kids from the South play in the Big 10 all the time. It depends on the kid, and if that kid wants to play in front of friends/family, they're not coming to Nebraska whether we're in the Big 12 or the Big 10.

Kids want to play for winners. They want to have a chance to win, and they want to be a contributor. If we've got a need and we're a contender, no matter which conference we're in we'll get those recruits.

We had zero teams from Texas in the Big 8, yet we had Texas kids on our roster all the time. Same goes for those New Jersey kids we had, Florida kids, etc.

It's a tough argument to say that we're going to succeed/fail at recruiting because we're in This Conference or That Conference.

This is a good conversation for fun, but it's very unrealistic. Bottom line, for me, is that this is OUR conference. We need to get our butts in gear and play better ball and take this conference to the woodshed, North AND South.

I disagree with some of this.

1. Most recruits WANT to play in front of mom and dad. Schools that are more than a day's drive are often not considered. I know this first hand from two friends of mine whose kids went on to play in a couple of Big 12 schools that also were recruited by the WAC and the PAC.

2. The only schools in the Big 10 with a lot of kids from the south are OSU and Michigan - the two "power" schools. The rest, it's just a smattering.

3. While the Big 8 was not a Texas conference, it was still very much a south and lower midwest conference. OU and OSU had rosters full of Texas boys then, just like they do now. If conferences and school locations don't matter, is it merely coincidence that we have more Texas boys on our roster than we ever did in the Big 8?

ISU has a good wrestling program? And how much money does wrestling bring in again..................... <_<

Looks like CFB live is discussing the Big 10's expansion right now.

Yes football is the biggest money maker for most schools, but don't single out a single athletic program when many others have been good for Big 12 competition.

What about Okie Lite? If it weren't for T.Boone where would their programs be? Same as ISU.

I think the best reason to stay in the Big 12 would be if they decided to reallign. This way you spread the southern power out and even up the divisions. Do an East and West. Put Texas and TTech/baylor on one side with Texas A&M and TTech/Baylor on the other side. Then put Oklahoma on one side and Okie state on the other. I've posted this idea on the go to the Big 10 thread.

In the end I decided that if this was proposed it would get shot down because some of the So. Div. rivalries would not be played every year so they would kill it since it would not get a 9-3 vote with 4 texas teams voting nay, it could only get 8 yay votes.

So, let's just find a new conference.

I'm still intrigued by this whole missouri big 10 thing. Is there not a seperate thread for it? I think for recruiting they would be hurt and maybe some image but the guys on the radio say the money is better for them in the big 10. I just like the thought of the big 12 losing a team and having to replace or rearrange the conference. Screw up the Texas 12 a little bit.