"Extra tick alters a lot"

krc1995

Page one of today's USA today:

When Texas, with a final second put back on the clock, beat Nebraska 13-12, it affected the national championship race, the major bowl picture, and even the Heisman.

Article reads that if Nebraska had won:

1. The obvious- Cincinnati most liekly steps into the national champ. game.

2. If Cincinnati is in the champ game, does Kelley leave for Notre Dame?

3. Allowing the clock to run down, ultimately cost Colt the Heisman because fewer then 10% of the voters had voted. The article does suggest that perhaps this was not fair to Colt because he had a splendid four year career. Also mention is the upsurgence of Suh, who would have garnered more votes had Nebraska been allowed to win.

4. B12 champ Nebraska, would have been headed to Fiesta bowl, Texas would have landed a at large bid to a BSC bowl, and Boise State would have been bumped.

5. Brown may not get a $2 million raise.

6. 40,000-60,000 Texas fans already had their plane tickets, hotel rooms, etc; wouldn't have been very happy.

Not really new ground in this article, but it is nice to hear it on a national level.

When Texas, with a final second put back on the clock, beat Nebraska 13-12, it affected the national championship race, the major bowl picture, and even the Heisman.

3. Allowing the clock to run down, ultimately cost Colt the Heisman because fewer then 10% of the voters had voted. The article does suggest that perhaps this was not fair to Colt because he had a splendid four year career. Also mention is the upsurgence of Suh, who would have garnered more votes had Nebraska been allowed to win.

4. B12 champ Nebraska, would have been headed to Fiesta bowl, Texas would have landed a at large bid to a BSC bowl, and Boise State would have been bumped.

6. 40,000-60,000 Texas fans already had their plane tickets, hotel rooms, etc; wouldn't have been very happy.

Not really new ground in this article, but it is nice to hear it on a national level.

I think for Kelley leaving he wouldn't have given one thought if Cincinnati was in the Championship Game.

For number 3. I don't care what Colt did in his 4 years, the heisman is awarded yearly. He was worse this year than last year. when people start to consider overall rather than the yearly this is another reason why the Heisman is worthless.

I think for Kelley leaving he wouldn't have given one thought if Cincinnati was in the Championship Game.

For number 3. I don't care what Colt did in his 4 years, the heisman is awarded yearly. He was worse this year than last year. when people start to consider overall rather than the yearly this is another reason why the Heisman is worthless.

I agree, but many believe Crouch was awarded the Heisman as a career award in 2001. I believe his numbers were better in 2000. His greatness was undeniable, just thought I would throw that out there for perspective.

Kelly had eyes for ND probably before he took the Cincy job. I think if Texas lost, there would have been a unified push to get TCU in the championship game, JMO. I doubt Mack Brown gets that raise if they lose the Big 12. Texas fans would whine, because that's what Texas fans do best. I can't wait till October when we take that 1 second and beat them senseless as a reminder that they were let off the hook and it won't happen again.

Texas had better hope like hell they keep that MNC game close. If it gets upwards of three scores with over a quarter to play and those announcers get into filler, they're going to labor on this one second like an octogenarian gumming taffy.

Texas needs to prove they belong in the game by keeping it close or winning (if possible). If they get blown out, it's going to open the door to unending speculation that Cincy belonged there (if they beat FLA), and it will DEFINITELY fuel the fire of the Fiesta Bowl winner.

Texas had better hope like hell they keep that MNC game close. If it gets upwards of three scores with over a quarter to play and those announcers get into filler, they're going to labor on this one second like an octogenarian gumming taffy.

Texas needs to prove they belong in the game by keeping it close or winning (if possible). If they get blown out, it's going to open the door to unending speculation that Cincy belonged there (if they beat FLA), and it will DEFINITELY fuel the fire of the Fiesta Bowl winner.

If Texas lost it would remind me of the first Big 12 CCG where Texas won and then got hammered by Penn St in the bowl game.

This is where I don't know what I want to happen. The emotionally scabbed me would love to see Texas beat 64-24. The reasonable me knows that Texas as national champions makes us look better and is better for the image of the conference.

Ez-e- the logic that USA today used regarding Cincy into the national title game is that they moved past newly beaten Florida and TCU in the BSC series standings, largely because of computer rankings.

Your right. And it's looking pretty likely that Texas will be playing the part of Ohio St. in the MNC this year. Which IMO is the worst case scenario for the Big 12.

if nothing else, MB will cry to the refs that they somehow deserve another chance...

:sarcasm