SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

If that's the case, does that swing the momentum in our favor as far as him choosing football over baseball?

One would think so, as I'd imagine an injury like that would have a pretty significant effect on his draft status. Obviously, not as significant as an arm injury, but it's probably enough to drop him a ways in the draft.

I doubt that an ACL tear will take 5 mph off his fast ball.

I thought somewhere along the line in this thread it was said that he was a pitcher currently, but he was being projected as an outfielder at the next level. Did that change or am I misremembering?

You aren't misremembering. I remember reading several articles as well that he could play pitcher, but that most clubs were looking at him as an outfielder. I'm kind of confused where that assumption is coming from as well.

True EZ, but you have to remember that throwing your arm out in the minors is similar to throwing it out in college. There is no guarantee you are going to get called up in the first 3-4 years. I can think of very few direct from HS athletes who have gone straight into pitching after being drafted recently. Most take at least 6-12 months, many much longer. Then you deal with the athletes who get stuck in the minors forever and see their lives waste away as they blow their signing bonuses and have to live on a teacher's salary. I'm a teacher, it's not easy folks!

The Yankees youngest active pitcher is listed with a D.o.B. Jun 24, 1986

The Red Sox are worse on the active. Even on the 40-man roster, the Sox have one from 1987.

Then look what happens when a qualified pitcher comes out of Nebraska and plays for the Yankees organization.

Go browse through MLB draft history on ESPN and check out the first-round pitchers and you won't see many with career stats up yet.

Bubba Starling pitches in High School but he is not a pitcher prospect. He will play in the OUTFIELD.

So if he's projected as an outfielder this injury very well may affect his draft status.

True EZ, but you have to remember that throwing your arm out in the minors is similar to throwing it out in college. There is no guarantee you are going to get called up in the first 3-4 years. I can think of very few direct from HS athletes who have gone straight into pitching after being drafted recently. Most take at least 6-12 months, many much longer. Then you deal with the athletes who get stuck in the minors forever and see their lives waste away as they blow their signing bonuses and have to live on a teacher's salary. I'm a teacher, it's not easy folks!

The Yankees youngest active pitcher is listed with a D.o.B. Jun 24, 1986

The Red Sox are worse on the active. Even on the 40-man roster, the Sox have one from 1987.

Then look what happens when a qualified pitcher comes out of Nebraska and plays for the Yankees organization.

Go browse through MLB draft history on ESPN and check out the first-round pitchers and you won't see many with career stats up yet.

Bubba Starling pitches in High School but he is not a pitcher prospect. He will play in the OUTFIELD.

So if he's projected as an outfielder this injury very well may affect his draft status.

There has been a little update regarding the above quote. Most teams are looking at him as an outfielder. Some teams are not ruling out the pitcher aspect though...basically with the thought of "if he can't hit a curve ball, maybe he can make it as a pitcher."

We'll have to wait and see.

You aren't misremembering. I remember reading several articles as well that he could play pitcher, but that most clubs were looking at him as an outfielder. I'm kind of confused where that assumption is coming from as well.

My last post was made with the assumption that he was being considered as an outfielder as was posted way back in this thread. I'm confused where the pitcher assumption is coming from, too.

He got injured in the game the other night rumor is he might have a torn ACL.

Have not heard a thing about any injury, but his team did lose in the semi-finals. However in his last football game in Kansas he went ape again. 31 carries 396 yards and 5 scores. Took the first play of the game 79 yards untouched and added a 70 yard run later. Not that shabby of a way to go out in a losing game.

In all honesty he could play anywhere he wanted to in the next level. I think hes best bet is pitcher though because his velocity is insane but there is that risk of his arm wearing out.

Yeah, but velocity alone is not enough to make one a great pitcher. Ask Charlie Sheen without his glasses from Major League how far that'll get him.

In all honesty he could play anywhere he wanted to in the next level. I think hes best bet is pitcher though because his velocity is insane but there is that risk of his arm wearing out.

Yeah, but velocity alone is not enough to make one a great pitcher. Ask Charlie Sheen without his glasses from Major League how far that'll get him.

Juuuuusssst a bit outside...

Great movie.

He got injured in the game the other night rumor is he might have a torn ACL.

Have not heard a thing about any injury, but his team did lose in the semi-finals. However in his last football game in Kansas he went ape again. 31 carries 396 yards and 5 scores. Took the first play of the game 79 yards untouched and added a 70 yard run later. Not that shabby of a way to go out in a losing game.

Wow! Insane numbers!

Jeremy Crabtree said on USC today (in addition to saying that Bubba is the best high school football player he has ever seen) that word is Bubba has already quietly signed with Scott Boras in preparation for being drafted very high in the MLB draft. Not surprising since nobody expects him to actually come to Nebraska at this point, but if Boras is his agent, then perhaps this is NU's best chance at getting him. Hopefully Boras asks for the moon and never budges a penny. I'm focusing on Jamal though.

Jeremy Crabtree said on USC today (in addition to saying that Bubba is the best high school football player he has ever seen) that word is Bubba has already quietly signed with Scott Boras in preparation for being drafted very high in the MLB draft. Not surprising since nobody expects him to actually come to Nebraska at this point, but if Boras is his agent, then perhaps this is NU's best chance at getting him. Hopefully Boras asks for the moon and never budges a penny. I'm focusing on Jamal though.

Not to rain on your thunder there Bruin, but Crabtree said Adrian Peterson was the only better high school player. He did argue that he's the best high school player in Kansas. As far as Boras, it was announced a while ago that he signed him as an advisor to help Bubba through the process heading into the draft. It is basically saying Boras will be his agant, but he won't sign with him and screw with any of his amateurship.

And the chance is sitting at about .0034% realistically.

Not to rain on your thunder there Bruin, but Crabtree said Adrian Peterson was the only better high school player. He did argue that he's the best high school player in Kansas. As far as Boras, it was announced a while ago that he signed him as an advisor to help Bubba through the process heading into the draft. It is basically saying Boras will be his agant, but he won't sign with him and screw with any of his amateurship.

I heard the segment. Crabtree said Adrian Peterson HAD BEEN the best high school player he had seen. He said Starling is better.

I heard the segment. Crabtree said Adrian Peterson HAD BEEN the best high school player he had seen. He said Starling is better.

This is correct. He said Peterson was the best he'd ever seen... until he saw Starling. That's crazy. I'm praying that the 5% chance he comes here actually works out.