SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

Keith Law and Jason Churchill of ESPN state that Bubba has a chance to be the number one player taken in the MLB draft and have him rated number four in their top 50 for the draft. It depends how the baseball season shakes out and whether Uber number one Anthony Rendon of Rice bounces back from his injury.

It's paid info otherwise I would provide a link....

Since Bubba says he would be challenging Martinez for the starting job that doesn't look like he would be spending much time at the WR position during fall camp. Maybe he'll be content being second on the depth chart if he doesn't win out.

He'll be more content accepting that $5-7 million signing bonus in the MLB draft.

• 1 month later...

I just can't see how you do not choose the contract, assuming its for that 5-7 million. Not signing would be like holding a winning lotto ticket out the window while driving 80 for 4-5 years.

You can ALWAYS go back to school. Heck I started my Masters after being out of school for 10 years.

Besides, can't he go pro and IF he didnt do well, come back and play football in college later? Thats what a few guys have done in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Mitch Sherman was just on 1620 talking about this article he wrote for ESPN. He said its not as much a slam dunk every one thinks he will go pro. He said if he comes to Nebraska he will be the best baseball player in the Big 10 next year. Bubba is a PHENOMENAL athlete. He will do much better than Khiry Cooper at playing both. More than likely going pro but not a given.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2011/news/story?id=6448653

• 2 years later...

ESPN's minor league guru rated Starling the #5 prospect in the Royal's farm system. Not bad for a group that is well-regarded and the first on the Royal's list not in the Top 100 overall. However, the write-up leaves a less-than-rosy picture. He was listed as the "bad news" for Royals fans and stated that he was "miserable" before undergoing LASIK surgery last summer and wasn't a lot better after that. Many think his swing is not smooth enough and he misses a lot of pitches.

Forgot he was the #5 overall pick. Harrison will likely be well down from that. Perhaps Harrison will be catching passing from Starling in a couple year. chuckleshuffle