SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

Eligibility isn't something that starts and keeps going regardless of circumstances like the timer on a bomb.

If you aren't in school, your eligibility is not being exhausted.

Is that true? I thought you had 5 years to play 4, 6 for a medical redshirt.

http://www.playyourgame.com/ncaa_eligibility_explained.html and http://eligibilitycoach.com/2012/09/ncaa-five-year-clock-2/ pretty clearly support this. The only exceptions are for military service or church missions.

Eligibility isn't something that starts and keeps going regardless of circumstances like the timer on a bomb.

http://www.playyourg..._explained.html and http://eligibilityco...e-year-clock-2/ pretty clearly support this. The only exceptions are for military service or church missions.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that you have 5 years of of being in school to play 4 years. I wasn't a college athlete, but I technically was according to the NCAA, because I practiced with our women's basketball team as a scout player, and had to go through the clearing house and do all of that stuff. I took a year off from school, and I thought I remembered pretty well that our compliance officer told me that didn't take away from my eligibility.

http://www.playyourg..._explained.html and http://eligibilityco...e-year-clock-2/ pretty clearly support this. The only exceptions are for military service or church missions.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that you have 5 years of of being in school to play 4 years. I wasn't a college athlete, but I technically was according to the NCAA, because I practiced with our women's basketball team as a scout player, and had to go through the clearing house and do all of that stuff. I took a year off from school, and I thought I remembered pretty well that our compliance officer told me that didn't take away from my eligibility.

The NCAA itself: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/resources/division-i-initial-eligibility-toolkit

Five-year clock: Division I student-athletes have five calendar years from the first enrollment at a two- or four-year school to compete four seasons of competition.

My guess is that your compliance officer just looked at that one year off and told you it didn't take away from your eligibility because of the 5 years to play 4 rule. Had you taken 2 years off it would've. Or maybe it was different in your time, but this is the way I've always heard it.

In any case, Bubba wasn't enrolled so the clock hasn't started.

So a player is allowed to participate in official practices without being enrolled?

I have been trying to find out the details but haven't found a lot yet. I think the catch is he enrolled as a part-time student so he could participate in football activities but his NCAA clock doesn't start until he is a full-time student.

But I did find this which seems to indicate he didn't ever end up practicing:

Bubba Starling is attending school at Nebraska, but the first-round pick of the Kansas City Royals won't be taking the field for football practice until his future is determined.

Starling, who was the No. 5 overall selection in June's draft, has until Aug. 15 to sign a professional baseball contract or he will have to wait three more years to be drafted again. He could received a contract work in excess of $7 million.

Cornhuskers coach Bo Pelini told reporters that Starling's absence is designed to protect him.

"Obviously, he's got a lot at risk," Pelini said. "We've communicated with the family and decided the best way to go about it."

USA Today

Here's another. I don't think he actually practiced.

Nebraska signee Bubba Starling did not report to the Cornhuskers’ first fall practice Saturday as he contemplates whether to play football or sign with the Kansas City Royals.

Starling won’t participate until at least Aug. 15, coach Bo Pelini told The Associated Press. That’s the deadline for Starling to sign with the Royals.

Here it is:

Nebraska's brief flirtation with Kansas City-area wunderkind quarterback/baseball prospect Bubba Starling came to an end late Monday night, as Starling came to terms with the Kansas City Royals. According to Nebraska RapidReporter Brandon Vogel, negotiations between Starling and Kansas City went down to the last hour of the August 15 deadline imposed on MLB draft picks; Starling was the fifth overall pick of the draft.

Starling had been on campus at Nebraska since July attending classes, but he never reported to practice, and Nebraska left him off its 105-man practice roster when it convened last week.

What actually happened is that Bubba Starling came to Lincoln, enrolled in a minimum number of classes so ad not to start the elgibility clock, but start his college experience, while also working out with teammates. As the cutoff date of 8/15 got closer and the begnnning of fall practice approached another decision had to be made. Would he continue with his college prep and thus begin practice or should he wait until after the 15th? The decision to not participate in the beginning of fall practice was a joint decision between the Nebraska coaching staff and the family.

So how does this affect Avery Moss with him missing a year?

Moss is enrolled, so he is using 1yr of eligibility this year.

Moss was banned from campus... I'd think it would be pretty silly for him to be enrolled? Is he really?

Well according to VA Husker Fan, it doesn't matter if he's enrolled or not, because once the clock starts it doesn't stop.

Enrolling in school means nothing. It all has to do with eligiblity acceptance. You can go to college for 4 yrs, not be "accepted" to the team and still have 4 yrs of eligibility left. Bubba never enrolled to start his acceptance. He to this day day has 5 yrs to play 4 for any sport in college but Baseball.