SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

Enrolling in school means nothing. It all has to do with eligiblity acceptance. You can go to college for 4 yrs, not be "accepted" to the team and still have 4 yrs of eligibility left. Bubba never enrolled to start his acceptance. He to this day day has 5 yrs to play 4 for any sport in college but Baseball.

That is true unless you sign the LOI saying to the NCAA that you will play sports while in college, which of course Bubba did. According to what Mavric dug up above, Bubba had to be careful not to take too many classes when he showed up so he would count as fully enrolled and this start his clock.

Here it is:

Nebraska's brief flirtation with Kansas City-area wunderkind quarterback/baseball prospect Bubba Starling came to an end late Monday night, as Starling came to terms with the Kansas City Royals. According to Nebraska RapidReporter Brandon Vogel, negotiations between Starling and Kansas City went down to the last hour of the August 15 deadline imposed on MLB draft picks; Starling was the fifth overall pick of the draft.

Starling had been on campus at Nebraska since July attending classes, but he never reported to practice, and Nebraska left him off its 105-man practice roster when it convened last week.

What actually happened is that Bubba Starling came to Lincoln, enrolled in a minimum number of classes so ad not to start the elgibility clock, but start his college experience, while also working out with teammates. As the cutoff date of 8/15 got closer and the begnnning of fall practice approached another decision had to be made. Would he continue with his college prep and thus begin practice or should he wait until after the 15th? The decision to not participate in the beginning of fall practice was a joint decision between the Nebraska coaching staff and the family.

Great stuff Mav, appreciate the effort. That last quoted piece was what I was wondering, didn't know you had to be taking a full load to be considered enrolled per the NCAA and start your clock.

So how does this affect Avery Moss with him missing a year?

Moss is enrolled, so he is using 1yr of eligibility this year.

Moss was banned from campus... I'd think it would be pretty silly for him to be enrolled? Is he really?

If Moss hadn't been enrolled already, his "clock" wouldn't start. But since his "clock" already started, it doesn't matter what he does - play, quit football but stay at the university, take a four year vacation to Tahiti - he should have five years from August 2012 (when he enrolled) to complete his eligibility. Fortunately for him, he got a medical hardship for 2012 so he gets a sixth year. Thus, this year is basically a redshirt year for him - except for the obvious fact that he can't practice either - so he'll still have three years of eligibility remaining.

2012 - Medical Hardship

2013 - Freshman

2014 - "Redshirt" - Not with team

2015 - Sophomore

2016 - Junior

2017 - Senior

• 1 month later...

For a time, it did. Back in those early days in the Royals organization, as the bad plate appearances began to pile up, Starling spent the occasional cobweb afternoon playing the “what if” game.

Ask him about it now, in the middle of a career-best hitting streak (15 games after Monday’s series finale with Frederick), and Starling has to be reminded that he would have just completed his junior year at Nebraska. Playing quarterback in the Big Ten in front of 80,000 screaming fans does sound more appealing than being mostly anonymous during hours-long bus rides to little black dots on Rand-McNally maps.
“I haven’t thought about it lately,” he said. “My first year in pro ball, I actually did think about it. Quite a bit.”

Link

• 2 months later...

The organization hoped the pressure would shape a superstar, rather than ruin a sensational talent. At 21, Starling is one of the youngest players at Class A Wilmington. The Royals remain protective of him, quick to dismiss his struggles and eager to relay any signs of development. When members of the front office visit, they gauge how often he smiles.

This summer, they’ve accumulated evidence for their optimism. Starling’s at-bats lengthened. His plate discipline improved. His body language reflected enthusiasm, rather than defeat.
His statistics exhibited progress. Two weeks ago, when Starling sat down with a reporter visiting from back home, he was completing perhaps his most promising month as a professional: a .287 average, a .350 on-base percentage and eight extra-base hits in July, plus his usual brand of eye-popping defense in center field.
“He’s really turned the corner, as far as the mentality of hitting, developing some confidence, trusting a plan,” Picollo said.
“The at-bats that I’ve seen out of Bubba this year, by far, have been the best at-bats that I’ve seen from him since he has been in our system,” said Scott Sharp, the Royals’ director of player development.
“I get the feeling when he goes up there, at any point in time, it’s going to click,” Wilmington manager Darryl Kennedy said. “Once it clicks, there will be no stopping him.”

Link

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Starling homered in three straight games this past week for the Class AA Northwest Arkansas Naturals. He’s batting .245 with a .327 on-base percentage and a .490 slugging percentage since his promotion to Class AA last month. Starling recorded a .386 batting average, a .471 on-base percentage and a .614 slugging percentage during 12 games at high Class A ball to start the season.

He reportedly worked with Royals legend George Brett three or four times a week between seasons after batting .218 and striking out 150 times in 132 high Class A games last year.

OWH

• 2 months later...

Have a hard time seeing how a .260 hitter at AA is figuring it out. I'll give the age aspect a little slack, but still. Oh well, best of luck to Bubba.

Especially since he was at .246 a week ago. 10 for 19 the last 5 games, now at .274. Maybe he's figured it out, or maybe it's a hot streak that will end soon. His strikeouts are finally down to about 1 in 4 in AA, which still isn't that good for just 5 HRs in 186 ABs but it's the right direction. With his glove he might not have to hit better to advance, but it's not what they were hoping for with a 1st round pick.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=605490#/gamelogs/R/hitting/2015/MINORS